Timberwolf ingredient changes...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Lixx
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lixx » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:32 pm

*Sigh* well now that I see others have had acid reflux issues recently, that explains why Morph is acting up again. I thought the kibble looked different, but every food I've ever used seems to have kibble variation. Now I don't know what to do. Orijin & Core cause my boys to loose weight. Off to research again.....

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:39 pm

chewbecca wrote:And, I'm looking into switching to Taste of the Wild.

If EP was higher by 3% on their protein levels, I'd switch to that.

Remember that protein values are listed as "minimums." Chances are it can be higher.

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:40 am

I am completely disappointed in this company. When Wednesday was on the Elk formula she also had the reflux thing. She's a gassy dog and is always burping, but since switching she doesn't bring anything "back up" with the burps.

usurpers26
Matured Bully

Postby usurpers26 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:25 am

Wow - exact same thing has happened with my two...off to find a new brand. Of course, I just got 4 bags of TW in the other day :po:

rgyoung777 wrote:Y'know, I really do wonder if they made a change about 6 months or so ago, because I used to rotate through 3 or so TWO formulas (lamb and apples, ocean blue, and sometimes wild and natural), and about 6-8 months ago, the food we got had a different smell and appearance. To top it all off, Lucy started to have trouble with digesting it--it was almost like she had reflux or something--she'd burp and bring some of the kibble back up. It happened with the Lamb formula the most, but she had trouble with the new bag of ocean blue we'd gotten as well. She'd been eating this food for nearly two years, and doing extremely well on it with the exception of the last bag of Lamb (which we didn't finish) and the Ocean Blue.

We switched to Nature's Variety NZ venison, and she's had no trouble since.

usurpers26
Matured Bully

Postby usurpers26 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:29 am

I am ordering a bag of their Pacific Stream.

chewbecca wrote:And, I'm looking into switching to Taste of the Wild.

If EP was higher by 3% on their protein levels, I'd switch to that.

pavlov
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby pavlov » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:05 am

I never fed TWO, even though I consider it good food. My boy has always been on Orijen or Innova Evo, even when he was a pup and has done good on both foods. Some poster say that there is nothing better than TWO to feed and they would not feed high protein (orijen, innova evo)? Why?

pavlov
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby pavlov » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:01 pm

pavlov wrote:I never fed TWO, even though I consider it good food. My boy has always been on Orijen or Innova Evo, even when he was a pup and has done good on both foods. Some poster say that there is nothing better than TWO to feed and they would not feed high protein (orijen, innova evo)? Why?

Anyone?

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:14 pm

pavlov wrote:
pavlov wrote:I never fed TWO, even though I consider it good food. My boy has always been on Orijen or Innova Evo, even when he was a pup and has done good on both foods. Some poster say that there is nothing better than TWO to feed and they would not feed high protein (orijen, innova evo)? Why?

Anyone?

I know some, not me personally, have issues with feeding a higher protein on a long-ish term basis because the higher protein levels can have a negative effect on the kidney. it's dry protein and some dogs cannot process it as well as others. there are, of course, ways around this, like adding canned food or a bit of water to the food. Some might also be concerned with the calcium/phosphorus ratios.

Also, not all dogs are as active as others and don't use all the protein in the food. I am unsure at the moment what the issues would be for less active dogs, because I dont have one. I have a very active dog and he makes use of the higher levels of protein in his diet. I think that could be relative to the kidney malfunction as well. There have been a few threads questioning EVO and other higher protein foods and the effect they have on the kidneys.

I have fed EVO and when i get back on my feet I will likely feed it again. Snoopy has done well on the EVO. Like I said above, he is an active dog and he makes use of the protein he is given.

Maybe others will pipe in.

pavlov
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby pavlov » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:28 pm

snoopsnoop wrote:
pavlov wrote:

Anyone?

I know some, not me personally, have issues with feeding a higher protein on a long-ish term basis because the higher protein levels can have a negative effect on the kidney. it's dry protein and some dogs cannot process it as well as others. there are, of course, ways around this, like adding canned food or a bit of water to the food. Some might also be concerned with the calcium/phosphorus ratios.

Also, not all dogs are as active as others and don't use all the protein in the food. I am unsure at the moment what the issues would be for less active dogs, because I dont have one. I have a very active dog and he makes use of the higher levels of protein in his diet. I think that could be relative to the kidney malfunction as well. There have been a few threads questioning EVO and other higher protein foods and the effect they have on the kidneys.

I have fed EVO and when i get back on my feet I will likely feed it again. Snoopy has done well on the EVO. Like I said above, he is an active dog and he makes use of the protein he is given.

Maybe others will pipe in.

Thanks for replying. The only thing I usually hear about the higher protein foods is the possible kidney damage. My guy is really active - a minimum of 2 miles jog/bike ride per day, 30-40 minutes play time with me (tug, tennis balls, etc.) and of course at least 3-4 walks a day, so I believe that he definitely has the use of the protein.

On occasion I mix with Evangers chicken drumsticks (the ones with the edible bone and add water to the sauce and mix the orijen, my guy goes nuts.

To the OP - don't mean to steal the thread for TWO.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:34 pm

Me personally with high protein?
Ella is eating Orijen 6 Fresh Fish right now and i will continue to toss it into her rotation every so often.
As her safety net, stand-by kibble? No. Not an every day, all the time kibble.
Protein is too high in dry matter for my liking for the reasoning that Snoopsnoop listed. If I am going to give my dog a high protein food, it's going to be real meat added to a lower protein kibble.
Also, the grain-free, high protein diets, Ella loses weight on them. She slims down on Orijen.

I have nothing against anyone else using high protein foods. I say to go for it. As long as their dog does well on it. It's not my place to say what others should feed. I just know my dog. She needs carbs to keep weight on.

pavlov
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby pavlov » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:52 pm

chewbecca wrote:Me personally with high protein?
Ella is eating Orijen 6 Fresh Fish right now and i will continue to toss it into her rotation every so often.
Protein is too high in dry matter for my liking for the reasoning that Snoopsnoop listed. If I am going to give my dog a high protein food, it's going to be real meat added to a lower protein kibble.
Also, the grain-free, high protein diets, Ella loses weight on them. She slims down on Orijen.

I have nothing against anyone else using high protein foods. I say to go for it. As long as their dog does well on it. It's not my place to say what others should feed. I just know my dog. She needs carbs to keep weight on.

Thanks for the input, appreciate it. Just want to make sure that I am not doing any harm by feeding EVo and Orijen long term.

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:54 pm

pavlov wrote:
chewbecca wrote:Me personally with high protein?

Thanks for the input, appreciate it. Just want to make sure that I am not doing any harm by feeding EVo and Orijen long term.

I think as long as you have an active dog you should be ok. if you/your dog become not as active, add a bit of water to his food so the protein is not all dry matter.

jdmeg6
Newborn Bully

Postby jdmeg6 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:31 am

What is everyone switching to? i just bought a 16lbs bag of TW lastnight for my 12week old puppy. thinking about returning it now for something else but i dont know for which brand? i dont know much about dog food, i just want the best for my puupy and muscle mass. can someone recommend anything besides TW?

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:45 am

You could try one of the Nature's Variety formulas (just NOT their Instincts line).

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:00 am

Well, crap. Emma is doing FANTASTIC on TWO and so are my cats. No more shedding, firm poops, no more vomiting or gas. I think they'll all stay on it unless I notice any adverse reationgs. I had Ems on NVI and she was SO GASSY and had loose poops. Guess we'll just have to wait and see..

Return to “Health Issues”