Good Food for my Puppy??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Boostjunki
Newborn Bully

Good Food for my Puppy??

Postby Boostjunki » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:56 am

I was told to feed him Nutro Ultra the large breed one. He eats it ok but is there something better for him then that, i just didnt wanna switch because thats what he was on when i bought him.

In other words is Nutro Ultra a good food for a puppy to eat. I wanna make it clear before i get attacked with the search button which i tried using.

pedrin
Adolescent Bully

Postby pedrin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:02 am

Well different people have different tastes...while one person may say this is the best another may say its the best..I just go by what the vet told me..I used to feed my pups Ol'roy and they pooped ALOT and the smell was awfull..told the vet about it she said try Purina One Lamb n Rice..I did and they are doing great..but to some people purina one isnt even on there top 10.so my suggestion is..if he is doing well on nutro ultra why change??Just my opinion...

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:07 am

pedrin wrote:but to some people purina one isnt even on there top 10.so my suggestion is..if he is doing well on nutro ultra why change??Just my opinion...

Why not give your dog the best quality available to you?

Boostjunki
Newborn Bully

Postby Boostjunki » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:25 am

i know nothing about dog food, i havent had a dog in years now and dont know what is quality or not. What is nutra ultra some really cheap dog food lol i bought it cuz the guy told me to. He said it was all organic and good for the pup so i went and bought it.

oh and by the way this is stitch.. he loves to play

and sleep lol

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:29 am

im with you pedrin, if it aint broke why fix it :thumbsup:

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:32 am

If you are going to feed Nutro, most people like the quality of the Natural Choice over the Max. :thumbsup:

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Postby drtrider2000 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:38 am

BEAUTIFUL pup!!...But i'd like to add my input....see the nose boogers he has? that is POSSIBLY the result of a less than premium diet. I can tell you that when we brought Bella home, they had been feeding her Pedigree puppy...she was healthy, and had a normal coat, and she had eye, and nose bogers. We switched for a very short time to AVO, then i started reading here, and discovered Canidae All Life Stages. Canidaes theory is you don't switch foods from puppy to adult, or adult to senior. They believe that with a premium food, you control the nutrient levels by adjusting the quantity of food you feed your dog. Anyway, to make a long story short, before the large bag of Canidae was gone, her coat became VERY shiny, and her eye and nose discharge was virtually eliminated...remember, doing well on a food, and thriving on a food are two different things. GOOD LUCK!

pedrin
Adolescent Bully

Postby pedrin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:48 am

Allie wrote:
pedrin wrote:but to some people purina one isnt even on there top 10.so my suggestion is..if he is doing well on nutro ultra why change??Just my opinion...

Why not give your dog the best quality available to you?

Im all for feeding youre dog the best..but it doesnt mean that the best for youre pups is the best for mine.....

but hey thats just me....I didnt even know that food had something to do with the eye and nose discharge...thanks drtrider2000.. :thumbsup:

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Postby drtrider2000 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:57 am

Diet is one of many causes of the discharge....i was lucky, diet cleared Bellas up, but it may not be the cause in someone elses dog. I am clearly on the Canidae bandwagon, because it's relatively inexpensive, and Bella gets complimented almost daily on her shint soft coat, without me having to use any supliments.

pedrin
Adolescent Bully

Postby pedrin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:29 am

well I did a search and canidae 40lb bag is only $4usd more than Purina One...So I'll probably give it a try...who knows I might just jump on that bandwagon with you... :thumbsup: .......

Boostjunki
Newborn Bully

Postby Boostjunki » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:30 am

drtrider2000 wrote:BEAUTIFUL pup!!...But i'd like to add my input....see the nose boogers he has? that is POSSIBLY the result of a less than premium diet. I can tell you that when we brought Bella home, they had been feeding her Pedigree puppy...she was healthy, and had a normal coat, and she had eye, and nose bogers. We switched for a very short time to AVO, then i started reading here, and discovered Canidae All Life Stages. Canidaes theory is you don't switch foods from puppy to adult, or adult to senior. They believe that with a premium food, you control the nutrient levels by adjusting the quantity of food you feed your dog. Anyway, to make a long story short, before the large bag of Canidae was gone, her coat became VERY shiny, and her eye and nose discharge was virtually eliminated...remember, doing well on a food, and thriving on a food are two different things. GOOD LUCK!

thats not a nose booger.. on one of the pics he had a little poop on his nose lol and the other with the other dog in the picture is his natural nose color.. he has a little part on his nose that is white

makedonce78
Newborn Bully

Postby makedonce78 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:33 am

ooohhhhhh!!!! He is so adorable!

About the food.....bleh. It doesnt have the best nor the worst ingredients. Somewhere in the middle. If I had to choose, I would not feed it to my pup.

Boostjunki
Newborn Bully

Postby Boostjunki » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:34 am

im gonna try it for another week and he keeps avoiding eating it.. im gonna switch.

So throw some names out so i can try em and see what he likes. i was an idiot and bought a big 40lbs bag lol so im just gonna give it to my friend for his dog.

makedonce78
Newborn Bully

Postby makedonce78 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:41 am

Boostjunki wrote:im gonna try it for another week and he keeps avoiding eating it.. im gonna switch.

So throw some names out so i can try em and see what he likes. i was an idiot and bought a big 40lbs bag lol so im just gonna give it to my friend for his dog.

lol...dont feel like an idiot. I did the same thing when we first got our pup. I went and bought the biggest bag of Iams Puppy, then let a lady convince me to buy Nutro Ultra and then I started looking and investigating andswitched him to Solid Gold. Now he is eating Natures Variety with meals of raw trown in few times a week.

I cant tell you what to feed the pup. It all depends on him and on your pocket. Read the Top 5 foods thread, read this http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ and this http://www.rateitall.com/t-353-dog-food-brands.aspx. Its gonna help you so much (also add in confusion...lol) to decide which food you wanna try. Go to a local mom and pops store and ask for some samples. If you cant find where they sell the food you want, go to their website and they have store locators.

Good luck!

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:01 pm

pedrin wrote: Why not give your dog the best quality available to you?

Im all for feeding youre dog the best..but it doesnt mean that the best for youre pups is the best for mine.....[/quote]

I totally agree with you.
I've spent tons of time and money trying to find the best, highest quality food that works for MY dogs. They did fine on pedigree, but why would I want to feed them something they do "fine" on when I could give them a good quality food that they could thrive on?

Return to “Health Issues”