Good Food for my Puppy??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
Boostjunki
Newborn Bully
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:58 pm

Postby Boostjunki » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:31 pm

Money doesnt matter.. i spend over $300 on toys and stuff the first day i got em, im willing to spend 40-150 on a bag of food. Hes a puppy thats gonna last him at least 3-4 months lol . the dog has his own area in my place, practically his own room. i made it big enough so he can run around and play while im at work(hes not alone, he has a babysitter lol) or sleeping. I call like 15-20 times during the period of my 8hr work day to see if hes ok. I just wanna make sure hes healthy and happy.

User avatar
makedonce78
Newborn Bully
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:34 am
Location: Warren, Michigan

Postby makedonce78 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:14 am

Boostjunki wrote:Money doesnt matter.. i spend over $300 on toys and stuff the first day i got em, im willing to spend 40-150 on a bag of food. Hes a puppy thats gonna last him at least 3-4 months lol . the dog has his own area in my place, practically his own room. i made it big enough so he can run around and play while im at work(hes not alone, he has a babysitter lol) or sleeping. I call like 15-20 times during the period of my 8hr work day to see if hes ok. I just wanna make sure hes healthy and happy.


lol

thats gonna be one rotten spoiled pup lol


Well, better start your homework then. If money is no problem and if I had to choose, I would go with Artemis, Evanger, Timberwolf, Orijen (if you dont think high protein is bad for pups), Natures Variety etc. Read up on them and then decide what you like. Or you can do what few of us do too - every so often change the food company, because there is not one there that has it all. Just dont do it too often and too fast.

Good luck

User avatar
Boostjunki
Newborn Bully
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:58 pm

Postby Boostjunki » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:08 pm

yea i gave em a treat and he blew up my carpet :fart: ...

so im trying to find good healthy food for him.

User avatar
*leenie*
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6519
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Just south of Chicago

Postby *leenie* » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:00 pm

So hes on large breed puppy?, If so he shouldn't be. Pitbulls are not a large breed, and I've heard large breed food would be full of fillers and things he dosent need.

User avatar
snoopsnoop
Forum Junky
Posts: 3109
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Contact:

Postby snoopsnoop » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:05 pm

*leenie* wrote:So hes on large breed puppy?, If so he shouldn't be. Pitbulls are not a large breed, and I've heard large breed food would be full of fillers and things he dosent need.


Not so much the fillers, because that would vary with each person and each food. While to some of us one ingredient might be a filler, to another it might be an essential ingredient.

Large breed food is formulated so a puppy grows at a more appropriate rate. It has more protein and (i believe) less fat. I could be wrong so anyone smarter than me, feel free to correct lol

But I do agree with taking the pup off a large breed food.

If you are interested in doing your dog food homework, definitely check out the dogfoodanalysis page. They are a really good source. Some stuff I dont agree with 100% sometimes, but they have the best reasons for why they say what they do.

A lot of people are really pleased with Canidae as it is a good food for an even better price. There are, of course, better foods, but what its important to understand is that not every dog will do well on every food. My dog does AWESOME on Innova EVO (which I do not recommend for a puppy younger than 6-7 mo--JMO) but there are others who have had issues with it and chose not to feed it. Timberwolf is another good food (some say the best) that I have had very pleasing results with. However, there is a thread about their ingredient changes and I think I might have to do a bit more investigating before I decide to spend that much on a bag of kibble. Those who dont have good luck with either EVO or TW usually have good luck with either the Orijen or Nature's Variety.

There is also Blue Buffalo which is pretty much sold only at Petsmart. Ryker (a favorite on the board) does really awesome on it.

Your pup will tell you what food works for him. Give the dog 3-4 months to adjust completely to a new food before deciding if that is not the right food. Of course if the dog is just losing weight rampantly then I might consider switching foods sooner. But just go by what your dog tells you ;) :thumbsup:

User avatar
snoopsnoop
Forum Junky
Posts: 3109
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Contact:

Postby snoopsnoop » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Oh, yea. and happy 1500th post to me!


This makes 1501 roflmao roflmao

User avatar
*leenie*
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6519
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Just south of Chicago

Postby *leenie* » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:15 pm

snoopsnoop wrote:
*leenie* wrote:So hes on large breed puppy?, If so he shouldn't be. Pitbulls are not a large breed, and I've heard large breed food would be full of fillers and things he dosent need.


Not so much the fillers, because that would vary with each person and each food. While to some of us one ingredient might be a filler, to another it might be an essential ingredient.

Large breed food is formulated so a puppy grows at a more appropriate rate. It has more protein and (i believe) less fat. I could be wrong so anyone smarter than me, feel free to correct lol

But I do agree with taking the pup off a large breed food.

If you are interested in doing your dog food homework, definitely check out the dogfoodanalysis page. They are a really good source. Some stuff I dont agree with 100% sometimes, but they have the best reasons for why they say what they do.

A lot of people are really pleased with Canidae as it is a good food for an even better price. There are, of course, better foods, but what its important to understand is that not every dog will do well on every food. My dog does AWESOME on Innova EVO (which I do not recommend for a puppy younger than 6-7 mo--JMO) but there are others who have had issues with it and chose not to feed it. Timberwolf is another good food (some say the best) that I have had very pleasing results with. However, there is a thread about their ingredient changes and I think I might have to do a bit more investigating before I decide to spend that much on a bag of kibble. Those who dont have good luck with either EVO or TW usually have good luck with either the Orijen or Nature's Variety.

There is also Blue Buffalo which is pretty much sold only at Petsmart. Ryker (a favorite on the board) does really awesome on it.

Your pup will tell you what food works for him. Give the dog 3-4 months to adjust completely to a new food before deciding if that is not the right food. Of course if the dog is just losing weight rampantly then I might consider switching foods sooner. But just go by what your dog tells you ;) :thumbsup:


Thanks for clearing that up!

User avatar
Boostjunki
Newborn Bully
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:58 pm

Postby Boostjunki » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:56 pm

That makes really good sense, my dog seems to be good on this stuff for now.. i will give it a few more weeks to see how it goes and make my decision. Like i said so far hes eating it up and seems to be healthy on it


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests