Feeding schedule

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
roryhunt
Newborn Bully

Feeding schedule

Postby roryhunt » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:59 am

I'm sorry if this has been covered extensively, as I couldn't not find it by searching for it. Maybe I missed it. My question is. I have been feeding Ryder 1 1/4 cup of food, 3 times a day. He is now 6 months old, and I was wondering when to switch him to feeding only twice a day. He was just at the vet and weighs about 46-48 pounds. He isn't over weight, and I can see his ribs when he is walking, but I don't want to switch too soon.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:01 am

Now is a fine time to switch to 2x a day. Usually they are ready by 3-4 mos. to switch to 2x a day.

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:13 pm

I'm glad you asked this question as I was wondering the same about Hannah, who will be 10 weeks this coming Monday. So I'll switch to twice a day in about 6 weeks.

I have another question to ask though...how long before I do not have to go home at lunch time to let her out? I leave the house at 7:30am, go home at 12:00 to let her out and then I'm home for good at 3pm. How old will she be before she can stay in her crate from 7:30am-3pm?

I'm not in a rush (I don't mind seeing her at lunch, I love it!). I'm just curious.

Thanks!!

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:17 pm

mine have slept through the night since about 10 weeks maybe sooner from 11 til 5ish, but it was at night i am home all day with them so i dont know

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:22 pm

The rule of thumb is one hour per month, so at 4 mos, 4hrs.
I'd prefer if all adopters (we have a rescue) let their dogs who are crated all day, out at noon, however, even into adulthood ;)

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:35 pm

Sounds good to me! Looks like I'll always have a lunch date then :))

Ruffian
Newborn Bully

Postby Ruffian » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:06 pm

iluvmypithannah wrote:Sounds good to me! Looks like I'll always have a lunch date then :))

Lily has been in her crate during the day since she was 5 months old. I am away 7 am to 5-6 pm and she has never had a problem holding it that long. Part of the reason may be that ever since she switched to raw, she does not drink as much water (the dry kibble really makes them thirsty). I also don't leave water for her in the crate. I feel bad crating her for such extended periods but the crate is open all the time I am home (even at night, I will ask her to sleep in her crate but the door is open - she does not come out though).

You are away for much shorter period than I am. You can try going at 1pm then 2 pm and seeing if she can hold it. If you cannot get away at those times, then take her out before you leave in the morning, don't leave water, and come back at 3 - try it a few times. Worst case, she will go in her crate (though females can usually hold it much longer than males)) and you may have some clean up - but after a few days, she will adjust to the new routine.

But, unfortunately, I am not in Tampa Bay to offer to fill up that 'lunch date' opportunity that will open up then. :)

Zexel
Newborn Bully

Postby Zexel » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:56 am

I feed her before I head into work, around 7 a.m. The girlfriend comes home to let her out anywhere from 11-12, then I get home around 5:45 and feed her around 6 p.m. The schedule seems to be working great so far, as I couldn't see myself leaving her crated for so long! I've started feeding her 2 full cups at both feedings, and she eats just about all of it.

Zexel
Newborn Bully

Postby Zexel » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:57 am

Whoops, forgot to add that Roxie is 7 months now and she doesn't mind it much either.

(We need an edit button! :crybaby: )

Boostjunki
Newborn Bully

Postby Boostjunki » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:24 am

Ok i was told to feed my dog twice a day?? Hes is only 8 weeks old.. should he be on 3x a day??

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:28 am

At 8 weeks, yes, 3x a day would be better.
The primary reason to feed them this way is that they have such tiny tummies they need to be fed more often, they cannot take in all they need in only 1 - 2 meals a day.

tibby mama
Matured Bully

Postby tibby mama » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:29 am

i have a question regarding feeding as well...i will post here instead of starting a new topic.

tibby was on a 2x a day feeding schedule, but recently she is only interested in eating once a day. i have even started leaving the food bowl out for extended periods of time, but after her first feeding she doesnt want to eat the second. my dad says his shar pei is the same way.

should i be concerned? she appears healthy and normal. no change in behavior.

Boostjunki
Newborn Bully

Postby Boostjunki » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:12 am

msvette2u wrote:At 8 weeks, yes, 3x a day would be better.
The primary reason to feed them this way is that they have such tiny tummies they need to be fed more often, they cannot take in all they need in only 1 - 2 meals a day.

Thank you for your information, i will switch to 3x a day..

a little under a cup of food??

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:51 am

Depending on his weight, yes, roughly a cup per feeding, measured, not guesstimated ;)

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:52 am

tibby mama wrote:i have a question regarding feeding as well...i will post here instead of starting a new topic.

tibby was on a 2x a day feeding schedule, but recently she is only interested in eating once a day. i have even started leaving the food bowl out for extended periods of time, but after her first feeding she doesnt want to eat the second. my dad says his shar pei is the same way.

should i be concerned? she appears healthy and normal. no change in behavior.

I wouldn't worry unless something else is out of order, also though it's tempting to leave it out, only leave the food down 10-15min. and if no interest is shown, pick it up and feed it to her the next time.

Return to “Health Issues”