OMG, SHE IS SOOOO NASTY!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
rednoselover
Newborn Bully
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Alaska baby!

OMG, SHE IS SOOOO NASTY!

Postby rednoselover » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:59 pm

My dog is eating poop! Not cat or goose poop, but her own $#!+ What is wrong with her, is she retarted or what? She stinks so bad I have to keep her in cage for a while now. Im so grossed out by her behavior.

User avatar
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1367
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Today? Overlooking Alcatraz or the French Alps

Postby El_EmDubya » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:35 pm

Vit B12 deficiency.

Somethin' I learned recently from Fransterdoo.

Marie

User avatar
Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1492
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 11:12 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Megan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:42 pm

You know.. Gavin JUST started this recently. He never touched his poo before... But now that it's cold out, it's frozen.. He has started grabbing it, running around with it and then eating it... So now he has to be watched carefully while outside. :yucky:

User avatar
kidinvincible
Matured Bully
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:42 am
Location: Las Vegas, Italy
Contact:

Postby kidinvincible » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:06 am

EL_EmDubya wrote:Vit B12 deficiency.

Somethin' I learned recently from Fransterdoo.

Marie


Thanks for the info! I was wondering why my other dog was doing that.

User avatar
love for ba brody
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:07 pm
Location: Central Jersey

Postby love for ba brody » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:38 am

I've seen products in the store that the dog eats, to deter them from eating their poops.
I've never used them, for any of my dogs so I don't know how well they work though.

User avatar
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1367
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Today? Overlooking Alcatraz or the French Alps

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:54 am

love for ba brody wrote:I've seen products in the store that the dog eats, to deter them from eating their poops.


It is far better to find the solution, rather than mask a symptom.

Those products cause the feces to taste bad, leaving the pet with the symptom, but without a solution.

Marie

User avatar
love for ba brody
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:07 pm
Location: Central Jersey

Postby love for ba brody » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:29 am

EL_EmDubya wrote:
love for ba brody wrote:I've seen products in the store that the dog eats, to deter them from eating their poops.


It is far better to find the solution, rather than mask a symptom.

Those products cause the feces to taste bad, leaving the pet with the symptom, but without a solution.

Marie


Agreed.
I was just throwing it out there.
But you are definately right.

User avatar
6pak
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:47 pm
Location: Arizona

Postby 6pak » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:36 am

Shady has gotten into that habit a few times. usually when he first starts to take prednisone. For a couple of weeks I had to go out with him to make sure he didn't do it. He eventually broke the habit.

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict
Posts: 1912
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:28 pm

Postby kristakmj » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:45 am

sierra didnt do it until after she had the pups and was cleaning up after them, is the dog eating enough?

i would still put something in it for a little while then stop to see if the dog understands not to eat anymore, maybe you wont always have to add something.

i thought i read somewhere that dogs eat thier own stuff when they arent getting enough nutrients? i could be hallicinating though , for what ever reason its gross

User avatar
pblove
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 15599
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: east coast

Postby pblove » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:43 am

EL_EmDubya wrote:Vit B12 deficiency.

Somethin' I learned recently from Fransterdoo.

Marie

I had always heard it was a def.
I give B-Complex, so far it has not helped
Now, what about when the dog only eats the poop when it is frozen, doesn't touch it all year long until we get some really cold weather or snow, then eats her own poop?

User avatar
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1367
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Today? Overlooking Alcatraz or the French Alps

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:35 am

pblove wrote:I had always heard it was a def.
I give B-Complex, so far it has not helped
Now, what about when the dog only eats the poop when it is frozen, doesn't touch it all year long until we get some really cold weather or snow, then eats her own poop?


That makes sense as Vit B5 is used more in cold weather. I'd increase the supplements in the winter to see if that helps. Also, I would not expect an overnight success. Give it a couple of days.

Marie

User avatar
rednoselover
Newborn Bully
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Alaska baby!

Postby rednoselover » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:28 pm

She is eating enough. But I just dont enderstand it. Last night I took her out again, and she pooped. Then turned around and tried to eat what just came out. Im scared she is going to get worms. What should I do?

User avatar
6pak
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:47 pm
Location: Arizona

Postby 6pak » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:52 pm

Go out with your dog and pick up right after she goes. I did this with mine and after a month or two, he broke the habit.

User avatar
bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10059
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:56 am
Location: west TX
Contact:

Postby bahamutt99 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:23 pm

Some dogs are stubborn poo-eaters. I scoop the yard daily, but Terra still finds some. When she was new here, she would whip around and eater her own poo once it was freshly-dropped. Now she does a few circuits around the yard to let it age a few minutes, and then tries to eat it. Its especially bad when its rainy, as she seems to regard all the poo she finds as fresh since its moist. :yucky:

I've tried Deter, which made no appreciable difference. Basically what I do now is follow her around and give a verbal correction when she hovers over a pile of poo. I've also started giving pineapple with dinner, because I heard that it can make poo unpalatable. (I've heard the same thing about canned pumpkin.)

User avatar
Allie
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10814
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:09 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Contact:

Postby Allie » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:34 pm

EL_EmDubya wrote:
pblove wrote:I had always heard it was a def.
I give B-Complex, so far it has not helped
Now, what about when the dog only eats the poop when it is frozen, doesn't touch it all year long until we get some really cold weather or snow, then eats her own poop?


That makes sense as Vit B5 is used more in cold weather. I'd increase the supplements in the winter to see if that helps. Also, I would not expect an overnight success. Give it a couple of days.

Marie


How to fix this deficiency? What kind of supplements? Are some dogs just prone to it no matter what they're fed?
My Sidda must have it. She doesn't want to eat her own, just the other dogs'.


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests