OMG, SHE IS SOOOO NASTY!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
rednoselover
Newborn Bully

OMG, SHE IS SOOOO NASTY!

Postby rednoselover » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:59 pm

My dog is eating poop! Not cat or goose poop, but her own $#!+ What is wrong with her, is she retarted or what? She stinks so bad I have to keep her in cage for a while now. Im so grossed out by her behavior.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:35 pm

Vit B12 deficiency.

Somethin' I learned recently from Fransterdoo.

Marie

Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Megan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:42 pm

You know.. Gavin JUST started this recently. He never touched his poo before... But now that it's cold out, it's frozen.. He has started grabbing it, running around with it and then eating it... So now he has to be watched carefully while outside. :yucky:

kidinvincible
Matured Bully

Postby kidinvincible » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:06 am

EL_EmDubya wrote:Vit B12 deficiency.

Marie

Thanks for the info! I was wondering why my other dog was doing that.

love for ba brody
Bully Ambassador

Postby love for ba brody » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:38 am

I've seen products in the store that the dog eats, to deter them from eating their poops.
I've never used them, for any of my dogs so I don't know how well they work though.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:54 am

love for ba brody wrote:I've seen products in the store that the dog eats, to deter them from eating their poops.

It is far better to find the solution, rather than mask a symptom.

Those products cause the feces to taste bad, leaving the pet with the symptom, but without a solution.

Marie

love for ba brody
Bully Ambassador

Postby love for ba brody » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:29 am

EL_EmDubya wrote:
love for ba brody wrote:I've seen products in the store that the dog eats, to deter them from eating their poops.

It is far better to find the solution, rather than mask a symptom.

Those products cause the feces to taste bad, leaving the pet with the symptom, but without a solution.

Marie

Agreed.
I was just throwing it out there.
But you are definately right.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:36 am

Shady has gotten into that habit a few times. usually when he first starts to take prednisone. For a couple of weeks I had to go out with him to make sure he didn't do it. He eventually broke the habit.

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:45 am

sierra didnt do it until after she had the pups and was cleaning up after them, is the dog eating enough?

i would still put something in it for a little while then stop to see if the dog understands not to eat anymore, maybe you wont always have to add something.

i thought i read somewhere that dogs eat thier own stuff when they arent getting enough nutrients? i could be hallicinating though , for what ever reason its gross

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:43 am

EL_EmDubya wrote:Vit B12 deficiency.

Marie

I had always heard it was a def.
I give B-Complex, so far it has not helped
Now, what about when the dog only eats the poop when it is frozen, doesn't touch it all year long until we get some really cold weather or snow, then eats her own poop?

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:35 am

pblove wrote:I had always heard it was a def.
Now, what about when the dog only eats the poop when it is frozen, doesn't touch it all year long until we get some really cold weather or snow, then eats her own poop?

That makes sense as Vit B5 is used more in cold weather. I'd increase the supplements in the winter to see if that helps. Also, I would not expect an overnight success. Give it a couple of days.

Marie

rednoselover
Newborn Bully

Postby rednoselover » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:28 pm

She is eating enough. But I just dont enderstand it. Last night I took her out again, and she pooped. Then turned around and tried to eat what just came out. Im scared she is going to get worms. What should I do?

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:52 pm

Go out with your dog and pick up right after she goes. I did this with mine and after a month or two, he broke the habit.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:23 pm

Some dogs are stubborn poo-eaters. I scoop the yard daily, but Terra still finds some. When she was new here, she would whip around and eater her own poo once it was freshly-dropped. Now she does a few circuits around the yard to let it age a few minutes, and then tries to eat it. Its especially bad when its rainy, as she seems to regard all the poo she finds as fresh since its moist. :yucky:

I've tried Deter, which made no appreciable difference. Basically what I do now is follow her around and give a verbal correction when she hovers over a pile of poo. I've also started giving pineapple with dinner, because I heard that it can make poo unpalatable. (I've heard the same thing about canned pumpkin.)

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:34 pm

EL_EmDubya wrote:
pblove wrote:I had always heard it was a def.

That makes sense as Vit B5 is used more in cold weather. I'd increase the supplements in the winter to see if that helps. Also, I would not expect an overnight success. Give it a couple of days.

Marie

How to fix this deficiency? What kind of supplements? Are some dogs just prone to it no matter what they're fed?
My Sidda must have it. She doesn't want to eat her own, just the other dogs'.

Return to “Health Issues”