Fleas!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Fleas!!

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:19 am

I can't get rid of his fleas!!!

I live on the Northcoast of Ca, a notoriously flea ridden area- and I just can't get rid of his fleas.

BACKGROUND:

Oliver just turned 10 lbs, he is 6 months old. He has been on Advantage for dogs under 10lbs since 4 months old. He had fleas before then, but I was uncomfortable putting flea medication on him when he was under 5 lbs. (personal choice).

I give advantage every 3 weeks, like the vet recommends since that is the life cycle of the flea. It works for about 5 days. By the end of the week, I can find fleas all over him.

I vacuum at least every other day with a bagless cleaner and throw away the stuff outside. I have placed a flea collar underneath my couch at recommendation of my vet.

When the flea medication stops working I give him a bath about once every two weeks with a flea shampoo. Kills lots of fleas- never all of them.

Oliver is an indoor dog of course.

I have asked the vet what to do but she has not been very helpful. She recommends that now I put flea medicine on him every TWO weeks- but this seems strange to me- i mean, its poison! And hes not a very large dog. She also recommended to also use a product called Programme, which she says is like flea birth control- anyone heard of it?

My neighbor and dear friend has a Corgi the same age as Ollie- and she has the same exact problems I have. Her dog is on Frontline with no luck, and she also has a topical flea spray she uses. She is also always itchy.

Any advice at all?

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:21 am

Also I would like to note that I have never found a flea on me or in my house. I have been in flea ridden homes before- disgusting, and our home is not flea ridden at all as far as I can tell. But maybe a flea bomb could help?

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:22 am

Can't hurt to treat the carpets in your home even if you don't think they're the source of the problem. It's quite likely that they are.

Bombing is kind of overkill, IMO, since really the most likely place for the eggs and larvae to be is in your carpet.

I know that using a pesticide indoors is pretty unappealing, but if you treat the carpet, and keep your dog on a maintenance dose of topical, it should take care of the problem. The carpet sprays usually last for several months at a time, because they take care of the adults, eggs, and larvae.

We had a pretty bad flea problem in our apartment about two years ago, but I only got a few bites and only noticed one or two fleas crawling around. It turned out that our cats were infested (but really didn't give any indication) and so was Lucy. We went to the vet, got capstar doses for all the pets, topical treatment for later, and then we sprayed the carpets. Haven't had an issue since then, even in the summer. Our cats are indoor only, and since we use a topical flea treatment on Lucy during the warm months, there's no longer any risk of Lucy bringing fleas into the house.

For it to get to the point where the fleas are hopping around loose in the house, the infestation has to be extremely heavy. Even if you vacuum regularly, it won't get rid of all the eggs, larvae and pupae that are in the carpeting.

I know that some folks have had good success with using diatomaceous earth, but I haven't had any experience using it. Maybe someone can give you advice on how to go about treating with DE if you are leery of spraying the carpet with a pesticide. Another option might be to steam clean your carpets and thoroughly wash his bedding or replace it, in tandem with the topical treatments.

Either way, IME, the only way to get ahead of the fleas, once the problem is recurring is to aggressively treat the surrounding environment as well as the dog. Otherwise, the immature fleas in the carpet will just keep re-infesting your dog. The topicals just kill the fleas after they jump on your dog, but don't do much to prevent re-infestation from the home environment.
Last edited by rgyoung777 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:44 am

I use Frontline about twice a year and have never had a flea problem. And I lived in Kentucky and now in SoCal, both heavily infested with fleas. Maybe switch your topical meds? I too recommend treating your carpets, also, I've heard that if you cut up a flea collar and put in your vaccum bag or container (for bagless), then it also helps kill fleas.

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:26 pm

Bombx2 and some kind of revolution/frontline - high quality stuff at all times.

goldenstatefan
Newborn Bully

Postby goldenstatefan » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:15 am

1lila1 wrote:I use Frontline about twice a year and have never had a flea problem. And I lived in Kentucky and now in SoCal, both heavily infested with fleas. Maybe switch your topical meds? I too recommend treating your carpets, also, I've heard that if you cut up a flea collar and put in your vaccum bag or container (for bagless), then it also helps kill fleas.

How old does a puppy have to be before you can use frontline? Mine's 13 weeks.

matronmedusa
Newborn Bully

Postby matronmedusa » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:46 am

You can treat the house all you want, but the minute you let the dog outside to pee, they will be right back in. It is a must to treat the entire yard as well. Fleas live in the grass and bushes, and they "hitch" a ride on your pet. Treat the yard first, then the house, then the dog, and the problem should correct itself for at least a couple of months, until the treatment is needed again.

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:01 am

Thanks for the advice everyone-

I am going to be switching from Advantage to Advantix, to see if there is any difference. My neighbors dog is on frontline with no luck. So I want to try something else.

My friend has a bag vacuum and keeps a flea collar in there- no idea if it is helping. I am keeping my flea collar under the couch, because I have a bagless and I empty it out in the dumpster each time I finish vacuuming.

The problem with treating the yard, is that I live in an apartment complex and I believe that the chemicals you use to kill fleas can be fairly detrimental chemicals, and my landlord doesnt want to put that on her property. Every single person who lives here has either a dog or a cat, as its one of the only pet friendly complexes in this town, and while everyone claims that they keep flea meds on their dogs- I am a bit suspicious. But regardless, there are a lot of outdoor cats that belong to people in the neighboring buildings, which dont allow pets- but there isnt much we can do about that.

I am going to treat the carpets this next weekend- we are leaving town for the Holidays so the lizards and dogs will be safe... hopefully this will work!

And GoldenStateFan- I think your dog can be as young as 8 weeks to get topical meds put on them, but to make sure, just read the box, they all have it plainly stated.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:36 pm

Diatomaceous Earth (sp??) is a great alternative and safe to the environment. You could get that and sprinkle it around.

Use 20 Mule Team BORAX on your carpet and leave it there overnight.

We used Biospot on all our dogs and fosters and it works great - and never have had a reaction to it.
Recently we got puppies in the shelter w/a heavy flea infestation. I used Biospot on each and came back the next day - the fleas were GONE.

Good luck :)

HUGaBULLyo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby HUGaBULLyo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:35 pm

ehh...flees... i hate them...when i fostered a pit mix puppy he
was infested with flees which infested my whole house includen
daisy (pb) & secret (chichi) so i bought a steam vacuum and a
flee spray... this is what i did to get rid of all the flees...

1. sprayed my entire carpet ( whole house) with the flee spray
and let it soak for about 30 mins to a hour while i cleaneed
the back yard...
2. then after about 30mins to a hour steam vacuum the entire
house continually for about 5x.
3. after get a regular vacuum and vacuum 2x or more if you want
4. after all that just sit back and relax with all the windows and doors
open and have some quiet time and let all the carpet or area where
you vacuumed dry out completely till is dried crisp.
then your all set to go!

for stuff you can laundry i sprayed the flee product on it and washed
it with bleach in hot water once then washed it again in cold/warm water.
( you can buy color safe bleach so it doesnt mess up your clothes & etc )
this includes your doggie beds & stuff you can unzip and wash.

oh ya.. before i did all this i sent all my dogs to grooming so when they come back home they wont infest the place again.

this is the only way i know that worked for me to get rid of flees 100%
best wishes of luck :thumbsup:

matronmedusa
Newborn Bully

Postby matronmedusa » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:49 am

If you don't treat the yard, you're not stopping the problem.....ESPECIALLY when there are so many other pets in the complex. If you can't find something the owner agrees with, then you will CONSTANTLY be battling the fleas. Every time the dog goes out, the dog is bringing in a whole new family of them. You may keep them out of the house for a little while, but just a little while.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:58 am

Just a note on the Advantix, it's great if you have no cats in the house. It's highly toxic though to cats so you can't put it on a dog that lives with cats.

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:03 am

1lila1 wrote:Just a note on the Advantix, it's great if you have no cats in the house. It's highly toxic though to cats so you can't put it on a dog that lives with cats.

Thanks for that note- I don't own cats, but I have family members who do.. Hmm. It makes me a little nervous.. why is one pesticide OK for a dog, but bad for a cat? I honestly hate having to put all these chemicals directly onto my dog, but I dont really know what else to do-

Also you guys- I have been looking for these products- I cant find them! I have been looking at pet shops for them, but should I be looking at like a home store or something? And where can I find Biospot?

It's not that I don't want to treat the lawn- believe me I DO, but I can't really help it if my landlord is against it. Maybe if I get a petition going? Or does anyone know of a lawn treatment that is based off organic compounds like that d. earth product?

Return to “Health Issues”