Emma's Tummy

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Emma's Tummy

Postby EmmasMom » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:26 pm

Em's was laying on the footstool in the living room and she started smacking her lips and such. I brought her over to her water bowl and showed it to her, thought maybe she just needed a drink. All of a sudden she started gagging and puked up yellow liquid (looks almost like urine). I got her outside real quick and she puked again...then pooped and peed. Should I refrain from feeding her her dinner tonight and try giving her some tomorrow? She hasn't eaten anything weird or anything...just some fresh (clean) snow when she was outside with DH and I this afternoon, but she just licked at it.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:05 pm

Poor Emma! I hope she feels better.

Did it appear to be bile like (often a yellow slimy liquid)? Sometimes dogs will vomit some bile if they are hungry or have indigestion. If this is the case you can feed her either a small meal and another small meal later or a bland meal. This is what we were told to do(by the vet) for our dog who vomits bile fairly frequently.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:00 pm

Snow can make some dogs puke, too.

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:26 pm

Yeah, it totally looked like bile. Maybe I'll start cutting her meals in half and feed her twice a day instead of once...

Thanks for the info!

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:34 am

maggie always smacks her lips before she pukes. i REALLY appreciate this, as it's like an early warning signal lol
it gives me a few seconds to quickly get her on some tile floor!

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:37 am

How is Emma today? Tummy settled?

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:42 am

She seems to be doing alright this morning. I did cut her food down last night, so I'm fixin to go give her the other half now. Maybe I should just start doing that so she doesn't go all day w/o food until the evening time. She isn't quite as playful as usual, but she hasn't puked again which is really good! Thanks guys!

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:56 am

Poor Emma, I hope she keeps getting better!

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:38 pm

Glad to hear Emma is feeling better!

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:15 pm

If you were just feeding once a day, I'd say there's a good chance that feeding twice a day will help. After getting my second dog, we had to move our second feeding to much later in the day. I used to feed right after I got home from work (around 6:30 most days), and at least once a week, Shamus would urk up yellow bile before his morning feeding. I don't believe he's done it once since I started feeding after 10:00 p.m.

luvmybuddy2
Newborn Bully

Postby luvmybuddy2 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:43 am

hope emma is better, if not you might want to check for blockage. buddy ate a big chunk of tennis ball and puked everything up and felt terrible. then started with the yellow bile puke, got dehydrated and had to have fluid IV before he could pass it. hope emma just had a temporary upset tummy

KMDX
Newborn Bully

Bile

Postby KMDX » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:39 pm

Hello All!

My pit started doing the same thing, no snow in GA yet. I took her to the vet yesterday, and was told some dogs digestive system continue to produce the enzymes to digest food, even though they are not eating or hungry, and they get sick because there is no food for the enzymes to digest, so she told me to feed her treats or something small in between meals, make sure she has something in her stomach, but not to over feed her, and she should be fine.

So to sum it all up $110 later and lab tests run, I was told to feed my dog more treats, yeah she is loving that!

:) :))

Taffys_Angel
Bully Ambassador

Postby Taffys_Angel » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:16 pm

Taffy has regurge' like that when she has to go to the bathroom real bad.. usually diarrhea. It'll be yellow and slimey, and sometimes have undigested food bits in it. :(

She'll go quiet, and sometimes hide in her crate.. then I'll hear the lip-smacking, then comes the wretching noises. Poor dog. It used to happen a lot when I first got her, but not since we changed foods. It's only happened once in the past half a year, vs once a week or two a year ago. She just wouldn't tell me she had to go out, she'd hide until she got sick....

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:42 am

Glad Emma is doing better Mandie! Upset tummies are no fun to deal with.

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:39 am

I feed my dogs once a day (otherwise they act like they are starving all the time) and occasionally they do this. I give them a couple of biscuts and that seems to help them. The perk up and stop the vomiting. Going to two feedings a day, if it works for you, will help. When I tried it cause one of the dogs was doing this almost everyday, they did stop. Unfortunetly they drove me so insane asking for more food all day, I had to go back to once a day feedings. Luckily he didn't start with the everyday thing again.

Return to “Health Issues”