More problems for JJ

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Lizzie
Bully Ambassador

More problems for JJ

Postby Lizzie » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:23 pm

Hi all. I know I just recently posted that JJ was making some progress...in the interest of keeping everyone posted, we've taken a few steps backward.

The limping he was doing on his bad hip, as it turns out, is actually his knee. :( DH figured this out as he was popping it back in the other day.

Our plan right now is to get x-rays done of JJ's knees this week...I'm calling his vet on Monday. I actually am awaiting a callback from his surgeon on Monday as well...that was to discuss Total Hip Replacement vs. FHO. But with this knee possibly being an issue now I'm not really sure what we're going to do. X-rays will tell us what we're dealing with, so we'll figure it out after that. :frown:

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:40 pm

I say get him one of those little wheel chair things and a big ol steak every day :(

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:48 pm

Aww man that totally sucks!!

Poor JJ! I hope the surgeon has something positive to say.

Fingers and paws crossed here.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:00 pm

FBODGRL wrote:Aww man that totally sucks!!

x2

Good luck. You know we're all keeping him in our thoughts/prayers!

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:03 pm

Keeping JJ in my thoughts and prayers Lizzie. :pray:

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:37 am

GAH! Poor JJ! Thinking healing and positive thoughts for your handsome boy.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:52 am

PitFriend wrote:GAH! Poor JJ! Thinking healing and positive thoughts for your handsome boy.

ditto

BrowniesMom
Adolescent Bully

Postby BrowniesMom » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:06 pm

mommy2kane wrote:
FBODGRL wrote:Aww man that totally sucks!!

x2

Good luck. You know we're all keeping him in our thoughts/prayers!

X3

Lizzie
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lizzie » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:43 pm

Thanks guys.

I spent time on the phone today with JJ's regular vet (who is wonderful) as well as his surgeon (who is very blunt and honest, which I love about him).

Regular vet says that from my description JJ definitely has a luxating patella on his right rear leg, and that he is seeing a lot of them this week with all the recent snow. I will paraphrase in my layman's terms, but basically he said that, for some dogs, the luxation goes away when the snow does and doesn't cause problems, and for other dogs, it causes damage where the bone gets rubbed when the knee pops out...if that makes sense. As far as what to do about it, he said that he doesn't think x-rays are going to tell us anything we can't tell from a normal exam. He said there are several "degrees" of severity for luxating patellas and he can tell by palpating the knee how severe it is...but regardless of the severity, surgery is the only way to fix it. He said that what he would do is diagnose a luxating patella, and then send us to the surgeon (who I already had a call into to discuss FHO vs. THR for his hip) to consult about what our surgical options were. He suggested I speak to the surgeon about doing hip surgery and knee surgery and see what his recommendations are...

So like 2 hours later the surgeon called me back and we discussed the whole knee problem. He said that, to make a long story short, we need to take him to his regular vet to palpate the knee and see the degree of luxation. He also said that, most likely, if he has luxating patella on his right leg, he will probably (at least eventually) have it on his left leg as well. He said that after this DH and I need to talk about whether we want to do hip surgery AND knee surgery on JJ...with the potential for doing further knee surgery on his left leg in the future. He said that he is willing to do the surgeries and that he foresees successful outcomes, but that owners need to really decide where to draw the line. He advised us to think about JJ's age (almost 2) and general health (great) and his potential lifespan (relatively short as he is huge) and our finances (we're not rich but we vowed that money would never keep us from getting our dogs surgery they need) and the recovery period. This last thing concerns us a LOT because when JJ got his initial hip replacement his recovery was an absolute mess...he had rare complications that resulted in him needing 3 surgeries total. It was a nightmare. The surgeon said that he does not consider it cruel to put a dog through multiple surgeries as his own dog went through 5...but that he understands he is a veterinary surgeon and he cannot make that decision for an owner.

Basically, he said that DH and I need to decide if we want to move forward with more surgeries. If we do, he will perform them and he predicts successful outcomes. If we don't, he understands that too. It is not a decision he can help us make.

Anyways, this is what we are struggling with right now. Just wanted to get it all out.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:32 pm

Oh Lizzie, I am so sorry. I was an absolute MESS with Martin's surgery, so I sympathize with what you are going through.

Lizzie
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lizzie » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:44 am

Thanks...we're just going to enjoy the holidays together and take some time to think about all of this.

nic
Forum Junky

Postby nic » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:54 am

Oh no,I'm so sorry to hear that :sad:

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:15 pm

I am sorry this is all happening.... But, everytime I read your post I always think what a great family you are too JJ! And he is living the best life wtih you guys!
(((HUGS)))

dragynflye
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dragynflye » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:53 pm

**hugs**

you and jj are in my thoughts. i know what ever you decide will be the right choice.

Return to “Health Issues”