Walmart food for dog - suggestions requests

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
MrClean
Adolescent Bully

Walmart food for dog - suggestions requests

Postby MrClean » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:49 pm

Yes, I've used the search function, but to be honest, I don't have a ton of time to wade through the mounds of information out there and was wondering what some of you would recommend. Here's the situation: My finacee's family is adopting a dog for her father. Everyone knows about the dog & has agreed we all want it (except the recipient). We have multiple levels of back-up (ie, good houses if things don't work out). This isn't really a discussion of that issue as I think we've thought of most contingents. The question I am posing here is: If you closest major store near you was a super walmart and you had to choose between the dog foods they stock; what would you feed your dog? It's not so much the $$ as the proximity to anything as they live out in the country. I'll keep digging through the search results, but figured somebody would have a suggestion off the top of their head.

Thanks for help!
-MC

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:52 pm

I'd order food online.

In all honesty, I have NO idea what kind of dog food Walmart offers.

MrClean
Adolescent Bully

Postby MrClean » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:56 pm

I'll suggest it, but a quick list we did the other day when we checked out the wally-world here in Seattle was: Ol'Roy, Beneful, Iams, Pedigree, Purina One

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:58 pm

Iams or Purina ONE if it can't be ordered online.

luv my fur babies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby luv my fur babies » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:02 pm

Purina One! DO NOT get Ol' Roy, please... :thumbsup:

Purina One is the best Walmart sells. I'm not a fan of Iams dry food. My foster came to me with a bag of Iams and pooped like 6 times a day. Walmart actually stocks many varieties of Purina One too, like senior, adult, puppy, sensitive systems, large breed, plus different flavor varieties.

MrClean
Adolescent Bully

Postby MrClean » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:06 pm

Thanks! Purina One it is (until I can convince them about RAW....). Thanks again for all the suggestions. Feel free to add more if anyone thinks of anything I have 2 days before we leave for their house (and get the food on the way).

someday
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby someday » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:22 pm

I noticed Walmart has recently started to carry a food called Maxximum and it doesn't look horrible. Granted, you can do MUCH better, but if you can't get anything else....

Ingredients:
Lamb, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), ground whole grain sorghum, brewers rice, ground barley, checken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), dried beet pulp, carrots, natural flavor, ground flaxseed, peas, potassium chloride, dried egg product, brewers dried yeast, salt, blueberry pomace, monocalcium phosphate, taurine, Vitamine E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, choline chloride, proteinated minerals (zinc, manganese, copper), niacin, copper sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganous oxide, Vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), riboflavin supplement (source of Vitamin B2), sodium selenite, calcium iodate, folic acid, Vitamin D3 supplement, cobalt caronate.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:20 pm

sorry, but if the recipient doesnt want the dog why are you getting it ?? and i would go with purina one

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:21 pm

or you could order food on line and have it shipped.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:29 pm

There is a Wal Mart brand called "Maximum Nutrition" or something like that, and it's not awful. Not like Ol' Roy, don't feed that!

I fed the Maximum Nutrition Lamb formula and my dog was fine with it. It's an ok food and I would read the label on the bag. The more meat and meat meal in the food the better.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:32 pm

someday wrote:I noticed Walmart has recently started to carry a food called Maxximum and it doesn't look horrible. Granted, you can do MUCH better, but if you can't get anything else....

Ingredients:
Lamb, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), ground whole grain sorghum, brewers rice, ground barley, checken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), dried beet pulp, carrots, natural flavor, ground flaxseed, peas, potassium chloride, dried egg product, brewers dried yeast, salt, blueberry pomace, monocalcium phosphate, taurine, Vitamine E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, choline chloride, proteinated minerals (zinc, manganese, copper), niacin, copper sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganous oxide, Vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), riboflavin supplement (source of Vitamin B2), sodium selenite, calcium iodate, folic acid, Vitamin D3 supplement, cobalt caronate.

That might be the one I posted about... Not super but not horrible either.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:38 pm

I've always wondered, WHAT is sorghum? So I looked it up. It appears to be grass
Sorghum is a genus of numerous species of grasses, some of which are raised for grain and many of which are used as fodder plants either cultivated or as part of pasture.

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:16 pm

gf turtle wrote:
someday wrote:I noticed Walmart has recently started to carry a food called Maxximum and it doesn't look horrible. Granted, you can do MUCH better, but if you can't get anything else....

Ingredients:

That might be the one I posted about... Not super but not horrible either.

:peace: :thumbsup: :peace: :thumbsup: :peace: :thumbsup:

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:35 pm

i tried the chicken and they wouldnt eat it , maxximum that is

pavlov
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby pavlov » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:55 pm

I just don't understand why wouldn't they order food online as most of the sites like k9cuisine.com have free shipping, you get higher quality food DELIVERED to your door if driving is the issue?

Return to “Health Issues”