Peanut Butter in Kongs?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Peanut Butter in Kongs?

Postby iluvmypithannah » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:40 am

Is it alright for me to put a little bit of PB in Hannah's kong and freeze it for her crate time?

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:03 am

Of course it is! Many of us put peanut butter and other assorted things in kongs for our pups. PB is a favorite!

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:41 am

Awesome! Because that cheese wiz stuff for puppies to fill it is getting quite expensive! I'm glad I can use PB!! :o)

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:22 pm

Eve gets sick off of the cheese crap. I'd PB is better for them IMO.

Lunchbucket

love for ba brody
Bully Ambassador

Postby love for ba brody » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:27 pm

Now this is me being insane... 100% insane.

But when you chose a peanut butter you might be better off getting one that is organic.
Trans fats are gross for people, so it's gross for dogs too. They are incredibly hard for a body to break down, and just plain unnatural.
You know when you can see the layer of oil on the top of the peanut butter, that's a GOOD thing.

But over all, it's not a huge deal.
I'm just a peanut butter freak!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:18 pm

I personally prefer to use canned dog food. Peanut butter is great in small quantities, but its very fatty and a little goes a long way. With canned food, I can fill two large kongs with one can, and both my pups are happy campers a few hours later.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:42 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Peanut butter is great in small quantities, but its very fatty and a little goes a long way.

Ditto.

I'd also be very careful regarding feeding something like Skippy or Jif which aren't even Peanut Butter. (That's why the companies had to come up with names other than Peanut Butter.) They have hydrogenated fats to prevent the oils from separating and numerous other additives to maintain the consistency of the look, feel, and taste over a wide variety of temperature.

Here is a list of Skippy's ingredients:

Roasted Peanuts , Sugar , Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil to Prevent Separation , Cottonseed Oil to Prevent Separation , Soybean Oil to Prevent Separation , Rapeseed Oil to Prevent Separation , Salt

The only thing that should be in Peanut Butter is peanuts.

You can also freeze chicken broth with yummy snacks (cooked yams, are Monte's favorite).

Marie

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:10 am

You guys are the best! Thank you so much! Since she's still only using a small kong I have used PB from the Publix deli for the past 2 days...the all natural stuff, and she loves it. I have only put maybe a tsp in it...not filling it up. But the canned dog food also sounds like a cheap healty way to keep my baby occupied while I'm gone.

On another note, I can't believe how fast she has grown! She has an appt tomorrow for another round of puppy shots. And I bet she has doubled her weight from 3 weeks ago. Last time she was 5.6 pounds and I'm betting she's over 10 now. My baby is growing up so fast!!

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:05 am

I bought some nasty tasting real peanut butter that's organic from the grocery store, we felt kinda silly buying $5 fancy peanut butter for the dog but I also thought the regular kind was probably too high in salt and other bad stuff.

Taffys_Angel
Bully Ambassador

Postby Taffys_Angel » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:08 pm

love for ba brody wrote:Now this is me being insane... 100% insane.

But when you chose a peanut butter you might be better off getting one that is organic.
Trans fats are gross for people, so it's gross for dogs too. They are incredibly hard for a body to break down, and just plain unnatural.
You know when you can see the layer of oil on the top of the peanut butter, that's a GOOD thing.

But over all, it's not a huge deal.
I'm just a peanut butter freak!

That's the kind I buy. :)

Though I find it rather hard to put in the kong when it's warm... seems more liquidy than "normal" peanut butter, even when stirred... But I discovered keeping it in the fridge makes it better, and the consistancy turns more like usual pb when it's cooled in there. :tongue:

Lmporter03
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lmporter03 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:02 pm

Day-Z gets several mixes in her Kong. PB mixed with chex cereal and kibble or leftover mac&cheese. I always freeze it overnight so its takes her a while to get it all out. if you go to the kong website, they have several recipes. i think there was a kong recipe thread here too. search for it :thumbsup:

heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby heather » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:17 am

ever since Dozer had the pancreatitis incident (which the vets think was the pb) I don't dare. he didn't have too much more than usual--only a few Tablespoons but I don't give that much fat anymore.. I am too scared.

geisthexe
Newborn Bully

Postby geisthexe » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:43 am

I give PB once in a great while but it is mostly off my finger for a small treat.
I do however make these treats I call Happy Snacks. They are kind of like the Satin balls but I do not them at all with all the wheat and oil in them

Here are the recipes that I created. There is not harmful in them and very digestable for the dogs.

ONE
6 bags of beef liver
1 bag of Potatoes
1 lg can of Libby’s pumpkin
1 cup of unsulfured molasses
6 raw eggs AND shells

TWO

3 cans of salmon
6 sweet potatoes
6 raw eggs AND shells

THREE (this one is for helping to put weight on)
10 lbs hamburger meat
1 container of Quaker oats
6 raw eggs AND shells

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.
Put into cup cake pans and freeze. After 6 hours pop out put
into freezer bags and continue to freeze.

My Dogs really do enjoy them.

Happy Holidays

Deb

luv my fur babies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby luv my fur babies » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:05 am

Lmporter03 wrote:Day-Z gets several mixes in her Kong. PB mixed with chex cereal and kibble or leftover mac&cheese. I always freeze it overnight so its takes her a while to get it all out. if you go to the kong website, they have several recipes. i think there was a kong recipe thread here too. search for it :thumbsup:

Sweet! Off to the kong site....thanks!

Return to “Health Issues”