bought Blue adult food by accident....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
goldenstatefan
Newborn Bully

bought Blue adult food by accident....

Postby goldenstatefan » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:37 pm

and didn't realise it until I had already opened the bag and was feeding my 13 week pup. It's a small bag but is it ok for him to eat?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:54 pm

Sure. It's a great food and your dog should be fine on it :thumbsup:
Beats the heck out of Purina Puppy chow!

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Postby drtrider2000 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:31 am

you may want to increase the amount you are feeding while the pup is on adult food, or better yet, go buy a bag of puppy food, and mix them.

goldenstatefan
Newborn Bully

Postby goldenstatefan » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:16 pm

Thanks, I usually get the Blue puppy food, but I had a brain fart that day I guess. It's a small bag so I'll just feed him extra until the bag is gone.

Sean W.
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Sean W. » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:34 pm

The adult food shouldn't cause a problem at all.

rednoselover
Newborn Bully

Postby rednoselover » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:50 pm

I thought that i had read somewhere that puppy food was a marketing scam???

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Postby drtrider2000 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:15 am

Sean W. wrote:The adult food shouldn't cause a problem at all.

I agree, but theres a difference between not causing a problem, and actually thriving. Isn't the primary advantage of puppy food a higher fat content? I'm not sure, but thats what i thought, and thats why i thought some breeders feed their momma dogs puppy food when they are nursing. I'm sure one small bag will have no affect either way, I only posted my comment on quantity, based on Canidaes theory that with a premium dog food, you adjust nutrient levels by controling volume of food, not changing foods.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:37 am

Well my opinion is that if people can feed Puppy chow which has absolutely NO meat in it at all, other than "chicken by products" but is soy and corn based, and a puppy can grow on it, then I guess Blue adult food is going to be that much healthier for it.
I agree to an extent about puppy foods being more of a marketing ploy.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:56 am

Well I got out my bags of Kirkland and the puppy variety has 28% protein and the adult variety has 27% protein.
Both are Chicken/vegetable/rice.

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Postby drtrider2000 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:48 am

msvette2u wrote:Well my opinion is that if people can feed Puppy chow which has absolutely NO meat in it at all, other than "chicken by products" but is soy and corn based, and a puppy can grow on it, then I guess Blue adult food is going to be that much healthier for it.

heres an interesting article i found m\by Royal Canin:
http://www.royalcanin.us/articles/feedi ... tfood.html

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:24 pm

It will be fine to feed the adult food, or better yet get some puppy food and mix them, but your puppy should go back to puppy food when the bag is gone.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:38 pm

drtrider2000 wrote:
msvette2u wrote:Well my opinion is that if people can feed Puppy chow which has absolutely NO meat in it at all, other than "chicken by products" but is soy and corn based, and a puppy can grow on it, then I guess Blue adult food is going to be that much healthier for it.

heres an interesting article i found m\by Royal Canin:
http://www.royalcanin.us/articles/feedi ... tfood.html

That is interesting, as well as the part about calcium.
I noticed that most puppy foods DO have calcium in them. I wonder what a good "amount" is, for a growing puppy, without being too much??

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Postby drtrider2000 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:55 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:It will be fine to feed the adult food, or better yet get some puppy food and mix them, but your puppy should go back to puppy food when the bag is gone.

Ok, Misskiwi, whats your opinion on what the Canidae rep told me about one formula of food, and to control the amount of nutrients by controlling the amount of food you feed?...have i perhaps been cheating my dog out of something she needs?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:17 pm

drtrider2000 wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:It will be fine to feed the adult food, or better yet get some puppy food and mix them, but your puppy should go back to puppy food when the bag is gone.

Ok, Misskiwi, whats your opinion on what the Canidae rep told me about one formula of food, and to control the amount of nutrients by controlling the amount of food you feed?...have i perhaps been cheating my dog out of something she needs?

Control the nutrients by controlling the amount of food?? So you give your dog more or less calories than they need... because being skinny or fat is SO much more important than the amount of calcium...

Canidae is formulated for all life stages, is it not? If so, then you've been feeding puppy food all along and just didn't know it.

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Postby drtrider2000 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:21 pm

ok, thank you

Return to “Health Issues”