why does he eat crap?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PrettyBoyStuntz
Newborn Bully

why does he eat crap?

Postby PrettyBoyStuntz » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:59 pm

Literally?? he started nibbling on horse sh*t as a young pup which i have always heard was common because of the grains and what not... but now he as moved on to dog sh*t why? he does not eat his own, but other dogs in the house... hes the only dog that eats raw, the rest eat kibble does that have anything to do with it? how can i stop this?

geisthexe
Newborn Bully

Postby geisthexe » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:34 am

SOME ANSWER TO WHY DOGS EAT THEIR OWN STOOL AND OTHER ANIMAL STOOL.

Unfortunately, sometimes it is a dog eat poop world. Dogs have been known to eat poop -- dog poop, cat poop, rabbit poop, deer poop, frozen poop, whatever. It's disgusting, there's no doubt about that, but why do they do it and what can be done about it?

There are many theories as to why dogs eat poop. Some believe that dogs may have a dietary deficiency which they're compensating for by eating feces. Though there are some medical disorders that can lead to this, including starvation, disorders of the pancreas or intestine, and severe parasitic infestations which lead to serious malnutrition, these are typically rare. So, generally speaking, eating poop is not a sign that a dog is missing something in his diet.

It's possible that some dogs eat their own feces in order to 'hide the evidence'. Some believe that this can occur with dogs who have been punished for inappropriately going to the bathroom. Others believe that eating feces is just a trait passed down to dogs from their ancestors. Coyotes and wolves have been known to eat their own feces during food shortages, and have also been known to eat the feces of herbivores which contain many of the B vitamins. Eating feces can also be a learned behavior if dogs observe other dogs doing this. It's also very normal for females to eat the feces of their offspring. Some think that they do this to keep the den clean while others think it's a deep instinctual response that was meant to conceal the presence of their litter from predators. And then again, it's always possible that there really is no big theory behind it and dogs just eat feces because it tastes good to them.

Whatever the reasoning, eating feces is probably something you'd like to keep your dog from doing. And even if you're not overly concerned about this behavior, you should be aware that there are some health risks associated with eating feces. The main concern is that many parasites, including giardia, coccidia, roundworms and whipworms, can be transmitted through dog and cat feces.

SOME SOLUTIONS:

* Change the dog's diet. Buy or prepare only nutritious, quality food that is formulated for the dog's age, breed and any medical issues.

* For the dog who may be hungry, try feeding him a little more, and make sure you feed a quality, nutritious food that is appropriate for the age and type of canine.

* Take the dog to your veterinarian for an examination for underlying medical and health problems, parasites and other problems that may be compelling him to eat feces.

* Clean up after your pet, right after he goes - before he has a chance to eat his poop. Stopping access is one key to stopping this habit.

* Walk the dog on leash so that you are in a better position to tell the dog 'leave it' and to physically keep the dog from trying to sniff and eat stools. Always praise your dog for listening. You can also reinforce the verbal praise with tidbits carried in a pouch.

* As soon as the dog starts approaching excrement, tell her 'nah-ah-ahhh' or 'leave it!', and distract her with praise supported with a treat, clicker click, playtime or other action or activity that is appealing to the dog. This will convey the idea that it is more rewarding to attend to you than to attend to poop. As soon as she turns her attention to her, praise her ('Good dog!') and reward her. A wise practice is to always carry appealing tidbit treats, a favorite toy, clicker - something you can always use to effectively gain your dog's attention and reinforce desired behaviors. Once you get her attention, give her something positive to do. For example, tell her to 'Sit', reward her for listening, then proceed to an enjoyable activity such as playing or walking together. Distract her from undesired things like feces, and substitute a good, desired behavior such as sitting and attending to you. A dog who is interacting with her owner can't be investigating poop at the same time.

* If the dog is defecating in the house, the dog needs to be fed and walked on a schedule that allows her to eliminate before the owner leaves her alone for the day and before bedtime. The dog also may need housetraining help. Teach the dog instead of punishing her; this is the sensible and effective approach. Also, visit the vet to see if a medical condition is the underlying cause of the dog eliminating indoors.

* If a pup or dog is pooping in his crate, make sure he gets more exercise and has the chance to eliminate before placing him in his crate. Also, read about crate training. Dogs naturally do not like to poop or urinate in their living quarters, so a dog who potties in the crate needs you to help crate-train him properly ... and perhaps a trip to the vet to rule out medical problems that may underlie an inability to 'hold it' for a few hours. However, also realize that pups can't physically hold their elimination for more than one to three hours, and that it is not healthy or kind to crate adult dogs for more than 5 to 6 hours a day. Take the time to properly train your dog so that he can be left alone in the house, in a pet-safe area instead of confined in a crate.

* There are products that you can apply to the stools that will discourage your dog from consuming them. Some are available from pet supply stores and others from veterinarians. These include Forbid.

* Some alternatives to drugs that work for some:

Add two to four tablespoons of canned pumpkin to the food bowl each day. Pumpkin apparently tastes good in food, but repugnant when expelled in excrement.

Add a spoon (teaspoon or tablespoon depending on the dog's size) of canned pineapple, pineapple juice or spinach to the dog's food.

Add some meat tenderizer or MSG to the dog's food.

Coat stools, following elimination, with hot sauce or lemon juice. Or booby trap sample stools by penetrating some left in the yard with hot sauce.

* Block the dog's access to any kitty litter boxes to keep him from developing a taste for kitty tootsie rolls ... or to help break a habit that has already formed. Keep the litter box in a room that the cat, but not the dog, can access. Or place a lid over the box that only the cat can access. Or place a baby gate around the box that has openings too small for the dog.

* Coprophagia can be a hard habit to break since it is self-reinforcing, but do not be discouraged. Follow these tips and give them a chance to work.

* In summary, the steps to stopping poop-eating are: feed a complete, nutrient-packed and balanced diet; provide lots of exercise, playtime and interaction; keep living spaces, crates, kennels and yard clean; avoid confining the dog for long periods of time; and take him to your veterinarian for a health checkup.

Deb

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:09 pm

add some Missing Link to his food that might help..

PrettyBoyStuntz
Newborn Bully

Postby PrettyBoyStuntz » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:04 am

thank you very much. Missing link??

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:58 am

thats what its called, most pet stores have it.. some pups do eat poop, it doesnt taste gross to them, my older dog used to eat poop only in the winter, so i changed his food (went to raw) and it stopped him from eating it. missing link works too, so does pinapple also.

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:23 am

how much pineapple would you put in? and is it just the juice ? or the actual chunks?

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:47 am

Hi Deb,
Could you post a link to where you got your info from? Thanks!

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:09 am

Emma has recently started eating 'tasty treats' from the cat boxes. She NEVER used to do it...and now she does. Gag..her breath gets SO nasty!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:17 am

Maryellen wrote:add some Missing Link to his food that might help..

I can tell you FIRST HAND it does not help.
Nor does Vitamin B.
I have yet to try the pumpkin trick since I'd have to treat all our 7 and then all the fosters.
I'd go broke in pumpkin alone.
The best solution???

1) clean up the crap every time one takes a dump.
2) Supervise outings. In case you missed a dump ;)
:thumbsup:

PrettyBoyStuntz
Newborn Bully

Postby PrettyBoyStuntz » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:43 pm

well I just purchased the missing link, looks just like any other suplement ive given diesel. The problem is he does not eat his own poop, but my mothers dogs and my girlfriends dogs... hes poop he smells and runs away from, cat litter was a recent one as well... So am I supposed to be treating him or the other animals?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:08 pm

oops, if he is eating other poop (i thought it was his own) then the missing link or anything else wont work.. the only thing that will work is move the cat litter box to where he cant reach it, and have him on leash 24/7 if you cant watch him and bring him out on leash to poop , and clean up all the other dog poop prior to bringing him outside... that is the only way to get him to stop eating other dogs poop...

Lmporter03
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lmporter03 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:10 pm

freeze some pineapple juice in ice cube trays and add a couple cubes to the water dish. it worked for me. my beagle(r.i.p.) liked to eat a turd or two then run in and kiss my ex mother-in-law. god i loved that dog :peace:

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:16 pm

Nothing I have ever tried has worked. Pick it up immediately - that's the only thing that works.

PrettyBoyStuntz
Newborn Bully

Postby PrettyBoyStuntz » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:16 pm

Maryellen wrote:oops, if he is eating other poop (i thought it was his own) then the missing link or anything else wont work.. the only thing that will work is move the cat litter box to where he cant reach it, and have him on leash 24/7 if you cant watch him and bring him out on leash to poop , and clean up all the other dog poop prior to bringing him outside... that is the only way to get him to stop eating other dogs poop...

the biggest problem with that is my girlfriends house has a very large dog run that goes in the woods in her back yard, her dog poops where it poops and its pretty much left alone since its a big dog run... i guess im out of luck

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:13 pm

you might have to pick up your girlfriends dogs poop too to prevent your pup from eating it.... or teach her dog to go in one spot...

Return to “Health Issues”