Rawhide bones bad???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
YeaItsSlo
Newborn Bully
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:29 pm
Location: New Haven
Contact:

Rawhide bones bad???

Postby YeaItsSlo » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:00 pm

I want to give my dog rawhides, or some sort of bone that can keep him busy for a little bit.. What is a good suggestion??

User avatar
pavlov
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***
Posts: 697
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:52 pm

Postby pavlov » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:30 pm

Good suggestion, in my opinion, is a Kong Stuffing Toy. Go to any pet store and they should have a variety of the kong toys. Stuff it with peanutt butter and let your dog have and it will keep him/her entertained for a while :) Rawhides are a bad idea.

User avatar
YeaItsSlo
Newborn Bully
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:29 pm
Location: New Haven
Contact:

Postby YeaItsSlo » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:36 pm

pavlov wrote:Good suggestion, in my opinion, is a Kong Stuffing Toy. Go to any pet store and they should have a variety of the kong toys. Stuff it with peanutt butter and let your dog have and it will keep him/her entertained for a while :) Rawhides are a bad idea.



thanks ill pick up a kong tonight.. :peace:

User avatar
Victoria
Matured Bully
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:59 am
Location: Washington

Postby Victoria » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:38 pm

bully sticks are great too.

User avatar
pavlov
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***
Posts: 697
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:52 pm

Postby pavlov » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:38 pm

YeaItsSlo wrote:
pavlov wrote:Good suggestion, in my opinion, is a Kong Stuffing Toy. Go to any pet store and they should have a variety of the kong toys. Stuff it with peanutt butter and let your dog have and it will keep him/her entertained for a while :) Rawhides are a bad idea.



thanks ill pick up a kong tonight.. :peace:


They are expensive, but they last for a LONG time! And they keep the dog entertained!

User avatar
rednoseErnie
Forum Junky
Posts: 3853
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:49 pm

Postby rednoseErnie » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:33 pm

But, be careful. Kongs are not indestructible if you have a heavy duty chewer. My dog can destroy a kong rather quickly, and the rubber pieces can cause serious bowel obstructions.

User avatar
Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2661
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:46 am
Location: South Dakota
Contact:

Postby Lunchbucket » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:49 pm

Bully sticks? Hmm never seen or heard of those. Links?

What about compressed rawhide? I thought they were safe for dogs as long as you watch them so they don't choke on any pieces

Lunchbucket

User avatar
pavlov
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***
Posts: 697
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:52 pm

Postby pavlov » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:55 pm

Lunchbucket wrote:Bully sticks? Hmm never seen or heard of those. Links?

What about compressed rawhide? I thought they were safe for dogs as long as you watch them so they don't choke on any pieces

Lunchbucket


Never heard of bully sticks either?

User avatar
Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2661
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:46 am
Location: South Dakota
Contact:

Postby Lunchbucket » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:05 pm

I looked them up. They are bull penis! YUCK! I'm no feeding my dog those.

Lunchbucket

User avatar
drtrider2000
Matured Bully
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:18 pm

Postby drtrider2000 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:20 pm

we make our dogs more food driven than i believe they naturally are by giving them snack oriented activities...what our dogs reallly crave is physical activity that we participate in with them. In my opinion, giving a dog a treat to keep them busy is not much different than giving a child a Ding Dong, or candy bar to keep them busy...exercise is key!

User avatar
pavlov
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***
Posts: 697
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:52 pm

Postby pavlov » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:37 pm

drtrider2000 wrote:we make our dogs more food driven than i believe they naturally are by giving them snack oriented activities...what our dogs reallly crave is physical activity that we participate in with them. In my opinion, giving a dog a treat to keep them busy is not much different than giving a child a Ding Dong, or candy bar to keep them busy...exercise is key!


My dog gets PLENTY of exercise on daily basis, but his kong filled with peanut butter does not hurt at all in addition :)

User avatar
Victoria
Matured Bully
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:59 am
Location: Washington

Postby Victoria » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:58 pm

Lunchbucket wrote:I looked them up. They are bull penis! YUCK! I'm no feeding my dog those.

Lunchbucket


Well, don't know what to tell ya. They are a great dog treat, and you will be hard pressed to find a dog who does not absolutely love them. But to each their own.

User avatar
Rinalia
Pit Bull Forum Addict
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:16 pm
Location: California

Postby Rinalia » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:27 pm

Lunchbucket wrote:I looked them up. They are bull penis! YUCK! I'm no feeding my dog those.

Lunchbucket


I've always found it a little silly people get grossed out by a dog eating a cooked penis, but will happily feed their dog numerous other animal flesh products (and depending on your kibble, some are as gross as bull pee-pee's).

Dogs don't care (they often eat poop, used sanitary napkins, and rotting carcasses), and I gotta give credit to the rendering business - they sure do make good use of ALL the body parts people don't want to eat after an animal is slaughtered.

Not saying you must feed bully sticks since your comfort level is important too.

User avatar
luv my fur babies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:16 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby luv my fur babies » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:19 am

I give my dogs rawhide, but supervised only.

I never realized that was what bully sticks were, not that I care... lol

You're so right about rendered "parts." What do you think "animal by-products" are? It can even be a mix of euthanized dogs and cats :frown:

User avatar
charlemagne
Newborn Bully
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:21 pm
Location: North Dakota

Postby charlemagne » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:54 am

Victoria wrote:bully sticks are great too.


Ditto. They are protein packed with very little fat. My dog loves them, and they last a good long time. They are fully digestable as they are natural and unprocessed, just dried or sometimes smoked.

I bring these out for the dogs at the shelter where I volunteer and they all love them. They are good for their teeth, as well.

I buy from Foster & Smith or the Red Barn products are great as well.


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests