Georgia is getting SO skinny

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
luv my fur babies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Georgia is getting SO skinny

Postby luv my fur babies » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:25 pm

It could be the stress of the foster dog living separate downstairs...but Georgia (probably a pit/dane mix) is getting so skinny. I can see her back bone now. She used to be a food hog, but is now leaving left overs in her bowl. She seems to be losing muscle mass too, which is really making me wonder. I will be making a vet appt. after Christmas just to be safe. She's having skin/allergy issues as well, so needs to go anyway. This sucks for me financially because both of my cats and my other dog are all due for their yearly check-ups/shots in January too. That's a lot of vet bills at once...but what can you do?

Not sure if I'm asking a question here, or just venting. Keep your fingers crossed for my baby girl.

gigglehush
Adolescent Bully

Postby gigglehush » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:27 am

*fingers crossed*
Put something extra yummy in her food like cheese or a cut up hot dog just to give her alittle motivation to eat. Or get her some vitamins and a high calorie food suplement. Good luck!!

luv my fur babies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby luv my fur babies » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:33 am

Thanks! She loves hot dogs, that's her obedience class treat...

As with young Great Danes, she has always had trouble keeping weight on. But she's almost 3 now, shouldn't be a problem anymore.

I'll post back after we get to the vet. I'll be calling on Monday making 4 appointments, one for each pet! lol :eek:

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:17 pm

my first thougts are always parasites (make sure you check for whipworm..which could take a few samples) and thyroid disorders!

I have some skinny dogs here too..they eat like hogs..just skinny skinny skinny!
(they vetted a-ok!)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:31 pm

If she's leaving food in her bowl, there's a good chance she's just plain not getting the calories she needs. I recently went through this with my parents big sheperd. He was just too much of a flake to sit and eat more than a couple cups of food a day. We switched to the highest calorie food we could find (Innova) and that was a big help. He still doesn't eat well, even with canned food or table scraps, but he at least gets the calories he needs to maintain his weight.

pavlov
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby pavlov » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 pm

A lot of you might disagree, but I think dogs get REALLY tired of the same dry food every single day. My big boy would do the same thing as your dog - he would eat a little bit and then skip a meal.. I have had him for a whole weak, barely eating 25% of what is he supposed to. The solution to this problem for me was to have variety of good quality canned food, fresh veggies mixed with his dry kibble. I feed Orijen dry and Innova Evo dry and I mix with Evangers chicken drumsticks, chicken casserole, organic chicken dinner (all three canned). And on occasion I add some peas, carrot, etc. Sometimes I add some warm water too, just to change. I feed once daily as otherwise he gets "too picky" and every single time I put his food then after 5 minutes I go to check and see a perfectly empty and perfectly licked (shining like a mirror) plate.

If you ask me, try that for a while and see how it goes.

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:44 pm

I mix in goat's milk yogurt with Coal's food as he's at about 5 cups a day right now and he's very busy... too busy to eat. I hold his bowl so he'll eat it all and cajole him into it but some days... no way. I also soak it b/c at 5 months, he's still teething.

pavlov
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby pavlov » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:35 pm

Kirstan wrote:I mix in goat's milk yogurt with Coal's food as he's at about 5 cups a day right now and he's very busy... too busy to eat. I hold his bowl so he'll eat it all and cajole him into it but some days... no way. I also soak it b/c at 5 months, he's still teething.

Soaking his kibble in goat's milk yogurt?

Return to “Health Issues”