Torn toenail? what to do..

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
cecollins
Forum Junky

Torn toenail? what to do..

Postby cecollins » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:53 am

Sully seems to have injured his nail on his dewclaw. It looks split and he licks it alot..
My question is, should I do anything for him, besides rest, until it heals?

The only problem I see right now, is that he likes to poop in the woods and with the amount of snow we have, just running or walking in it, he sinks down and I think that is irritating his sore toenail.

This morning, just one step in to the snow on our front yard made him hold his paw up, look at me sadly and then just run back into the house, jump on the couch and start licking it. I feel so bad for him.

I can post pics tomorrow if need be.

Thanks for any advise you can give...

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:14 pm

What do you mean by torn? Is it hanging off or just split? You do different things depending on the injury. If it is being a huge issue you could see the vet who could remove it. I have wrapped feet (or even just the toe around the nail for irritating splits. But if it is hanging it needs to come off.

ssontag
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby ssontag » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:27 pm

If it is just split, but not all the way up, you may be able to have to split part clipped off without removing the whole nail. If it's bothering him that bad, I would probably take him to the vet.

cecollins
Forum Junky

Postby cecollins » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:58 pm

Thanks for the advise.
It is not split all the way up, just partly. I have made an appt for him for tomorrow am to have it looked at.
I cant stand to see my baby in any pain.

KristenD
Adolescent Bully

Postby KristenD » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:45 pm

In July my pup split one of his nails to the quick. Unfortunately, because he was walking on it I ended up having to have the toenail amputated (it grew back). I think the dew claw might be alright as long as it doesn't snag on anything.

Return to “Health Issues”