Need Something To Fatten Up My Puppy

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BIGBOI
Newborn Bully
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:35 pm

Need Something To Fatten Up My Puppy

Postby BIGBOI » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:37 pm

I have been feeding him(5 month old) Eukanuba large breed puppy hard food, but he doesn't eat all that much. He just picks at it and his brother from the same litter is like twice his size and eats like a champ. You guys have any suggestions? I have tried puttin gravy on the food and he won't touch it. If I put nutri-cal and wet it with water he will eat a little more than normal. I have tried feeding him all soft food and he will eat that, but he gets the runs. Tried mixin soft with the hard and he won't touch it. I am out of ideas. Please help.

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict
Posts: 1912
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:28 pm

Postby kristakmj » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:45 pm

maybe he isnt hungry how much does he wiegh?

i have 2 pups from the same litter both built different you cant make him big if he isnt ment to be bigger, and just because his littermate is 2x your pups size doesnt mean your pup is too small

User avatar
panda
Matured Bully
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:06 pm
Location: OR
Contact:

Postby panda » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:53 pm

I would try feeding him a different brand of food such as
Natural Balance
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/puppies.html

Canidae
http://www.canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html[/url],

Wellness
http://www.omhpet.com/wellness/dog_wellness_dry_just_for_puppy.html,

Solid Gold http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showcat.php?cat=0

or something like one of these. You can also put Grizzly Salmon Oil on his dry kibble for flavor as it also supports healthy heart, skin and immune system. My dogs love it and their coats are very soft and shiny not to mention the other health benefits.

User avatar
panda
Matured Bully
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:06 pm
Location: OR
Contact:

Postby panda » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:54 pm


BIGBOI
Newborn Bully
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:35 pm

Postby BIGBOI » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:10 am

I've read on here that I could give him some hamburger meat. Is this true?

BIGBOI
Newborn Bully
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:35 pm

Postby BIGBOI » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:12 am

kristakmj wrote:maybe he isnt hungry how much does he wiegh?

i have 2 pups from the same litter both built different you cant make him big if he isnt ment to be bigger, and just because his littermate is 2x your pups size doesnt mean your pup is too small


This one was pick of the litter though.

User avatar
Marty
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: GA
Contact:

Postby Marty » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:17 am

Try some better feed and mix some cottage cheese and yogurt with it
(not the fat free kind), about 2 tablespoons full each feeding :thumbsup:

Make sure your dog is worm free also.

BIGBOI
Newborn Bully
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:35 pm

Postby BIGBOI » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:33 am

Thanks for that. My dog is very healthy also. Just had to the doctor and they took blood, urine, x-ray and fecal sample.

User avatar
*leenie*
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6519
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Just south of Chicago

Postby *leenie* » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:18 am

BIGBOI wrote:
kristakmj wrote:maybe he isnt hungry how much does he wiegh?

i have 2 pups from the same litter both built different you cant make him big if he isnt ment to be bigger, and just because his littermate is 2x your pups size doesnt mean your pup is too small


This one was pick of the litter though.


Just because hes "pick of the litter" doesnt mean he's going to be big. Also pit bulls are not large breed dogs and should not be fed large breed food. I would try switching him to a better suited food like the other suggested.

User avatar
love for ba brody
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:07 pm
Location: Central Jersey

Postby love for ba brody » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:57 am

They might just be differnt sized dogs. It happens within litters.
At six months old my little boy and his brother (who my friend has) look like they were born months apart. My friend dog, is at 55lbs where my dog is about 45.
Even though it's only ten pounds, they are also built completely differnt.

I guess litters can just really vary.

Love your boy for who is is, as long as he's proportionate at his weight now. :thumbsup:

BIGBOI
Newborn Bully
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:35 pm

Postby BIGBOI » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:31 am

love for ba brody wrote:They might just be differnt sized dogs. It happens within litters.
At six months old my little boy and his brother (who my friend has) look like they were born months apart. My friend dog, is at 55lbs where my dog is about 45.
Even though it's only ten pounds, they are also built completely differnt.

I guess litters can just really vary.

Love your boy for who is is, as long as he's proportionate at his weight now. :thumbsup:


I understand all of that and I do love him for who he is, but he needs to eat more. He is looking malnourished.

BIGBOI
Newborn Bully
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:35 pm

Postby BIGBOI » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:32 am

*leenie* wrote:
BIGBOI wrote:
kristakmj wrote:maybe he isnt hungry how much does he wiegh?

i have 2 pups from the same litter both built different you cant make him big if he isnt ment to be bigger, and just because his littermate is 2x your pups size doesnt mean your pup is too small


This one was pick of the litter though.


Just because hes "pick of the litter" doesnt mean he's going to be big. Also pit bulls are not large breed dogs and should not be fed large breed food. I would try switching him to a better suited food like the other suggested.


Are you serious about the large breed food? I've read differently on here.

User avatar
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 13469
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:09 am
Location: NJ
Contact:

Postby Maryellen » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:18 am

did the vet do xrays to see if he has a blockage?

User avatar
BrowniesMom
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:35 pm
Location: Dearborn, MI

Postby BrowniesMom » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:58 am

It depends, some pit bulls are large breed. Brownie got large breed puppy formula too. He's a pretty big boy as pits go. Also, I would steer clear of Eukanuba, or any other grocerystore type brand. Merrick is also a great choice, imo. Brownie loves it, it's made in the US, and no imported ingredients.

BIGBOI
Newborn Bully
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:35 pm

Postby BIGBOI » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:51 am

Maryellen wrote:did the vet do xrays to see if he has a blockage?


Yep and everything came out fine. He said he saw something in there, but thought it was his food that he had eaten earlier.


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests