Need Something To Fatten Up My Puppy

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:14 am

I think you are way too concerned about weight.
Be aware that pups when they go through growth spurts often get lanky and look very lean.
That pup's weight is fine. If he had more on him he'd be fat. He does not appear at least at this point to have a huge body type like your male. You can't feed him to make him be huge unless you want a fat dog. His genetics determine more so what he will be as an adult as already stated

How big was his dam?
I'm guessing this must have been an outcross or skatter bred breeding; I say that because I don't think that pup looks anything like the sire.

They appear to get along very well now. Just remember that may not always be the case especially if they are both kept intact.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:38 am

I agree with Greenkozi and PatchOpits

That pup looks in great weight, maybe a little too chunky for a puppy. And I agree that Red looks like he could afford to lose a few (please don't take that the wrong way). Most people get "muscular" confused with fat. Fat is round, muscles are not :)

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:46 am

Keeping your dog lean will be healthier for him/her in the long run.
It's hard on dogs to be overweight, just like people. But with dogs, their bodies are smaller so it's like a 50lb. person being 50lbs. overweight, they are twice what they should be. A 150lb. person would be 300lbs. if they were twice what they should be.
So your dog, if he SHOULD be 70lbs. and is 100, is more overweight than a person weighing 30lbs. more than what he/she should be.
In other words, your dog, at 30lbs. overweight, is more unhealthy than a person who is 30lbs. overweight.
It's tough on dogs' hips and I've seen young dogs, between 1-2years, who, because of being overweight, are dysplastic in their hips because they were so fat.
Not to mention, it is extremely hard on their hearts, to be chunky.

Of the foods I listed, any of them should work, all are high quality so you can feed less of them and still get good results.
Please try to resist the "fad" of having a fat/huge dog, even if it looks "badder" than a lean, in shape dog.
It will extend your dogs' life in the long run.
:thumbsup:

BIGBOI
Newborn Bully

Postby BIGBOI » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:05 am

Thanks guys for all the compliments. I think Rocko is going to take after his moms traits. She is much leaner and more muscular and that's ok with me. I can't tell you guys enough that RED does definitely 100% need to lose a few pounds. I am exercising him more and he is eating a lot less food. Also I thank those guys out there that have helped me find a good food for them. I am going to go with the Canidae all life stages when I get a chance to drive about an hour away form me to pick some up. Does anyone know what a 40LB sack should run? Thanks again guys

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:25 am

BIGBOI wrote:Thanks guys for all the compliments. I think Rocko is going to take after his moms traits. She is much leaner and more muscular and that's ok with me. I can't tell you guys enough that RED does definitely 100% need to lose a few pounds. I am exercising him more and he is eating a lot less food. Also I thank those guys out there that have helped me find a good food for them. I am going to go with the Canidae all life stages when I get a chance to drive about an hour away form me to pick some up. Does anyone know what a 40LB sack should run? Thanks again guys

I doubt it will be too much more than most the nicer foods at Petco!
Good luck!!
:)

BIGBOI
Newborn Bully

Postby BIGBOI » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:12 pm

msvette2u wrote:
BIGBOI wrote:Thanks guys for all the compliments. I think Rocko is going to take after his moms traits. She is much leaner and more muscular and that's ok with me. I can't tell you guys enough that RED does definitely 100% need to lose a few pounds. I am exercising him more and he is eating a lot less food. Also I thank those guys out there that have helped me find a good food for them. I am going to go with the Canidae all life stages when I get a chance to drive about an hour away form me to pick some up. Does anyone know what a 40LB sack should run? Thanks again guys

I doubt it will be too much more than most the nicer foods at Petco!
Good luck!!
:)

Great thanks.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:37 pm

I'm pretty sure the 40lb bags of Canidae are around $35 (at least where I live) :)

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:09 pm

That is a cute puppy! Is his crop standing better? Also, whats wrong with Reds elbow?? It looks like all the hair is gone.

BIGBOI
Newborn Bully

Postby BIGBOI » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:28 am

*leenie* wrote:That is a cute puppy! Is his crop standing better? Also, whats wrong with Reds elbow?? It looks like all the hair is gone.

He's got calluses real bad, but I'm starting to put this stuff I got from the pet store and it seems to be gettin a little better. Crop? U mean his ears?

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:45 am

Crop? U mean his ears?
I didn't ask the original question, but can answer this ... yes, crop is in referrers to the ear crop.

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:21 am

Is red crated alot? Just noticed alot of his sores. Some overweight dogs(sorry) can have this as well.

I don't think your puppy is underweight at all-looks perfect.

YOu have 3 dogs?

BIGBOI
Newborn Bully

Postby BIGBOI » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:39 am

IlovemyMONGO wrote:Is red crated alot? Just noticed alot of his sores. Some overweight dogs(sorry) can have this as well.

I don't think your puppy is underweight at all-looks perfect.

YOu have 3 dogs?

Red got those sores from being outside on the concrete a lot, but he stays inside.

Thanks

Yep, unfortunately too much work.

BIGBOI
Newborn Bully

Postby BIGBOI » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:40 am

Got Rocko(puppy) some Canidae and he isn't eating at all now. Completely stopped.

BIGBOI
Newborn Bully

Postby BIGBOI » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:42 am

Rockos ears do that sometimes. He is able to move them wherever he wants depending on his mood.

Wooderson
Super Bully
Location: Kiev, Ukraine, around the corner from the Republic Stadium, near the downtown MegaMart

Postby Wooderson » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:02 am

No dog will starve to death when food was available. Don't let him "train" you to feed him what/when he wants. He needs to learn that he eats what you give him, when you feed him, and that's that.

Return to “Health Issues”