Lost of hair & leaving scars

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
chavez408
Newborn Bully

Lost of hair & leaving scars

Postby chavez408 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:32 pm

Hey guys, i have a serious problem. My 1yr old rednose is shading alot aloottt of hair. It is making her really anxious. It makes her bite herself alot witch is leading scars on her body. She is shading so much i can see her skin (pink). I am not sure if it is her food that i am feeding her. I am using science diet and I only feed her ones a day.

pavlov
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby pavlov » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:46 pm

Post some pictures so we can see how exactly does it look. APBTs are definitely known for skin problems...oh yeah, Science Diet is not good quality food, consider switching.

chavez408
Newborn Bully

Postby chavez408 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:12 pm

Image[/img]

here they are, it is not the best quality i am sorry. But as you can see her skin! It is like if she is going bald. I was told by a pet shop here localy that science diet is great food

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:27 pm

Hmmm, not sure those pictures are too helpful, but it could be one of many things. It could be mange, fleas, allergy to food to environment, etc. I would check with your vet and have them take a look. APBT are definately known for skin issues.

As for the Science Diet, I am sure they told you it is great because it is expensive and makes them money. IMO, Science Diet is not nearly even decent for what you pay. You have to feed what you can afford, but if you can afford SD, then you can afford a lot better quality food for the same price. There is a sticky about Dog Food at the top of this section. Myself, I feed Royal Canin Bulldog 24 because my dogs do well on it and I have 2 gulpers and the S shaped kibble helps prevent it. I know a lot of folks like Innova Evo and Candidae to name a few.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:43 pm

Food is the least of that dogs problems...

I would suspect flea bite allergy, but the dog REALLY needs to see a vet.

chavez408
Newborn Bully

Postby chavez408 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:45 pm

ill take her to the vet this week. She did had fleas but i cure them away

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:48 pm

If your dog has a flea allergy, all it takes is ONE flea bite to send your dog spiraling back into the itchy hairloss and secondary infections.

If your dog had fleas, you also have fleas in your house. Your dog needs to have a monthly repellent as a preventative, and you need to treat your home as well.

Cheshirekatt
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Cheshirekatt » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:50 pm

For dogs that are allergic to fleas, it only takes one bite to set them off. The bite itches, then they scratch/bite and it and inflame it more. It's a vicious cycle that generally needs a steroid shot and/or antibiotics to help get it under control.

It's good that you got rid of the fleas but you may still have to deal with her itchies.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:12 pm

What'd you use for the fleas??

LILMANSMOMMIE
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby LILMANSMOMMIE » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:13 am

Cheshirekatt wrote:For dogs that are allergic to fleas, it only takes one bite to set them off. The bite itches, then they scratch/bite and it and inflame it more. It's a vicious cycle that generally needs a steroid shot and/or antibiotics to help get it under control.

It's good that you got rid of the fleas but you may still have to deal with her itchies.

Most likely the problem, on top of 90000000000000000000000000 other things. MY red is about bald right now where he can reach and it's fleas. He's on stuff and we pay for our yard and house to be done but in Florida they are damn near impossible to get ride of. It's always prefect breading weather for them here. Lil'Man has had bunch of test and he has NO food allergies and I can't find most the foods that are "good" anywhere around here anyhow.
Deff. go to the vet. And what I use that helps (no long term in anyway) is WAGS NATURAL WHEATGRASS SHAMPOO-you have to leave it on for 3-5 mins. but it sooths the skin for him and then while hes still wet I spray him with an OATMEAL spray,(it a white spay bottle with green writing, I'm out and know it when I see it lol) and then in between baths We use NATURAL CARE ITCH RELIEF HOT SPOT SPRAY WITH TEA TREE OIL.
Tea Tree is a god send in life in general, It will also aid in healing scare tissue (depending on how bad it is)
Hope this helps, no one dog's allergy problems are the same but thats what helps my lil butthead....besides his shots

Return to “Health Issues”