Heartworm pills in winter

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Do you give your dog heart worm pills through the winter?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Yes, I give the meds year round
61%
No, I stop when it is cold, and start up when it is warm again
39%

Total votes: 36

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:05 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:I do not give heartworm in December, January and February. These are the only months it is considered 100% safe to skip the treatment in my area, and my dogs are heartworm tested prior to beginning treatment again in the spring.

Ditto!

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:11 am

I don't give HW preventative in the winter months. Usually from April to September or October depending on how warm it is.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:54 pm

I start in June and stop in October most of the time. Last year I gave it to them in May because we had a pretty early spring.

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:06 pm

Year round for me...but then again I'm in Florida. Doesn't feel like it right now though...its 48 right now and going down to 30 tonight!

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:19 pm

so here's my question for those who take their dogs off, then test in the spring and re-start: it takes 6 months for an infection to show up on an antigen test. if you're testing in, say, march, you're not covering the months that the dog was off preventative until the following year. but the dog'll be back on the heartworm preventative already.

i'm just so frustrated and perplexed by the whole issue, so i just give it year round and am done with it.

sara
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sara » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:32 pm

I don't think they are retesting the dogs when they start again. Its the assumption that there are no mosquitos out and about and so the dogs would not get infected.
I have been wondering about this lately, also! Its the second winter we have had Mattie and it just seems silly to give her any medicines she doesn't need. We live in an area that has very low incidents of heartworm. You can check for yourself on the map: http://www.heartwormsociety.org/downloa ... ncemap.jpg
I'm in the lightest colored pink area. It is like 10 degrees outside right now. Even if I started her up again in March that would give at least a month to get it in her system before the temps even START to get to where mosquitos MIGHT start BREEDING (let alone biting and infecting). Is there risk to this? I am still giving it to her, but she's up for a new dose next week.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:24 pm

elegy wrote:so here's my question for those who take their dogs off, then test in the spring and re-start: it takes 6 months for an infection to show up on an antigen test. if you're testing in, say, march, you're not covering the months that the dog was off preventative until the following year. but the dog'll be back on the heartworm preventative already.

i'm just so frustrated and perplexed by the whole issue, so i just give it year round and am done with it.

I don't test bi yearly, but I know people in warmer climates that do that don't give it through the winter. I only test in spring because in Michigan, ain't no mosquitoes living November through May!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:54 pm

I test in March, based on the assumption that if my critters were infected, it would most likely have occurred during August or September due to failure of the medication rather than lack of medication. I don't give preventative during the winter because I'm POSITIVE my dogs won't get infected during that period of time.

Heartworm preventative is like birth control... just because its 99% effective doesn't mean you can't get knocked up.

rallykid
Newborn Bully

Postby rallykid » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:06 pm

lol lol

Misskiwi67 wrote:I test in March, based on the assumption that if my critters were infected, it would most likely have occurred during August or September due to failure of the medication rather than lack of medication. I don't give preventative during the winter because I'm POSITIVE my dogs won't get infected during that period of time.

Heartworm preventative is like birth control... just because its 99% effective doesn't mean you can't get knocked up.

leopardjunkie
Adolescent Bully

Postby leopardjunkie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:59 pm

In Minnesota and I don't give them heartworm December, January, February.

A. Most Humans don't want to go out right about now and there sure aren't any skeeters.

B. moxy has a pretty touch and go immune system, so I don't give her anything that she doesn't need, and

From the vets i have been to it is pretty common and by some required to test in order to refill in the spring.

Bosses Dad
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Bosses Dad » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:24 am

Year round. Boss got bit by a skeeter this week!
Never take chances with Texas weather.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:08 am

elegy wrote:so here's my question for those who take their dogs off, then test in the spring and re-start: it takes 6 months for an infection to show up on an antigen test. if you're testing in, say, march, you're not covering the months that the dog was off preventative until the following year. but the dog'll be back on the heartworm preventative already.

http://www.oldcountryvet.com/

Insisting that dogs have to be tested annually for
heartworm before administering preventative: Ivermectin,
the active ingredient in Heartguard, is used as part of the
treatment a vet gives to an infected dog to remove the
microfilaria (heartworm babies that circulate in the blood stream)
at doses many times higher than in the monthly preventative. In
fact it has been found that if Heartguard (Ivermectin) is given
monthly to an infected animal for 12 to 18 months, it will actually
cure the infection. I know of no monthly preventative that will
harm an infected dog (short of an allergy) and the labels state
as much. Pre-testing is totally unnecessary.

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:30 am

Oliver will always be on heartworm preventative. I don't see any negative affects (besides expense) and I would rather be safe than sorry.

I don't want to derail the thread- but have you guys heard about that "all in one" pill- heartworm, fleas, ticks, hookworm, etc? It is very expensive, but I am wondering how well it works.

Return to “Health Issues”