Spider Bite

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Lula
Newborn Bully

Spider Bite

Postby Lula » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:30 pm

Like every morning I went to let my girls out to go potty. Lula would not leave her kennel, she just laid there crying. So I crawled in to see what her deal was and noticed the entire left side of her face was swollen about 4 times larger than normal and it was completely covered in puss. I immediately loaded her up in the car and took her to the e-vet which was practically the only one open today in my county and waited 1 1/2 hours before I was even able to get her in. By this time she was acting completely pittiful.

So in to see the vet (who was finishing up a 16 hour shift bc they were short staffed and super slammed). All her vitals were normal so we pretty much ruled out a venomous snake bite. She believes it is a spider bite, possible a brown recluse. After a semi face shaving (most of her hair just pulled right off), and several shots and a bill for $160 (which I thought was cheap for a holiday emergency vet visit) I was sent on my way with some meds to help reduce the swelling.

I'm hoping it goes down some by in the morning otherwise I feel like I should take her to my vet's office since it will be open.

Here is the only picture I was able to snap tonight after she woke up.
I am making every effort possibly to keep it clean but as you can tell from her ear it just keeps oozing.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:35 pm

Poor baby. Good on you for the quick action... ouch for the e-visits.
My parents' schnauzer had two spider bites throughout her lifetime that were quite severe. The meds help to clear them up quickly.
I'm sure your baby will be back to normal in no time.

love for ba brody
Bully Ambassador

Postby love for ba brody » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:16 pm

I hope she feels better soon
A girl my brother knows got a brown recluse bite...

trdbird
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby trdbird » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:17 pm

oochh....i see brown recluse bites alot at work (on humans) and they can be nasty. i hope she has a good recovery......poor baby. :sad:

Return to “Health Issues”