I give up!!!!!!!!!! From now on Iam feeding pedigree.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Du and Henny
Adolescent Bully

I give up!!!!!!!!!! From now on Iam feeding pedigree.

Postby Du and Henny » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:00 am

Before I came to this site, I had lack of knowledge on what foods are good and wat are bad. So at the begininng of Hennys life i was feeding him Iams then I went to Pedigree. Feeding these two never caused him any health issues what so ever. But since I came here and learned about better quality foods I had nothing but problems. Innova caused him to get a rash under his arm then when I switched back to Pedigree it went away. Then I switched to Wellness and know he has some sought of allergic reaction which caused him to scratch his ear and pop a blood vessel inside of it. I guess what Iam saying is everything GOOD isnt for EVERYBODY........

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:01 am

If he can't tolerate those foods, try Kirkland (Costco brand).
It's 50 cents/lb. and a better quality than Pedigree which has corn as the first ingredient.

Du and Henny
Adolescent Bully

Postby Du and Henny » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:09 am

What about Iams is that better than Pedigree?

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:14 am

Du and Henny wrote:What about Iams is that better than Pedigree?

Neither are good, so what's the difference.

Try the Kirkland, as msvette has suggested if you want a cheap but quality food.

pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pjrocco » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:17 am

Don't give up hope... It took me months to find the right food for my allergic boy. I went through Timberwolf, Canidae and two or three different formulas of Nature's Variety before I got it right.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:19 am

Du and Henny wrote:What about Iams is that better than Pedigree?

Not really, both have corn I believe.
Kirkland has no corn or wheat products in it.

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:26 am

Taste of the Wild is grain free, a significantly cheaper than Innova Evo if you want to give that a shot. But kirkland sounds like a very good idea, because it is fairly cheap and many dogs do well on it.

If you find that switching around just isn't working, then maybe, after you've tried a little more, you could start adding additional ingredients to his pedigree, like egg, yogurt, fish oil, etc. It still won't affect the fact that its first ingredient is corn, and that the food is loaded up with unessesary salts fats additives and byproducts, but it could help him get some nutrition that he is lacking.

And I do feel you- Oliver did great on Pedigree- perfect poops, nice coat, etc. I tried two different foods before I settled on taste of the wild.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:30 am

pjrocco wrote:Don't give up hope... It took me months to find the right food for my allergic boy. I went through Timberwolf, Canidae and two or three different formulas of Nature's Variety before I got it right.

Yes. I have FOUR dogs to find a food that agrees with. When one food works for three dogs, I doesn't work for one. Or it works for one and not for the other three. Ugggh.

Not all quality foods work for every dog. We tried TW, Wellness, and NV, Solid Gold, California Natural.... Canidae is the ONLY food that works well for all four dogs.

Du and Henny
Adolescent Bully

Postby Du and Henny » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:37 am

Thanks for the help seriously. But Iam not neccisarly looking for a food cheaper in price but just a little less in quality. I guess Iam going to have to try the Kirkland once he gets out of the vet.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:44 am

Huh? You're looking for a higher priced, lower quality food?

sw_df27
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sw_df27 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:44 am

my dogs eat pedigree and they do great with it!!!!

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:45 am

sw_df27 wrote:my dogs eat pedigree and they do great with it!!!!

x2

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:02 am

Du and Henny wrote:Thanks for the help seriously. But Iam not neccisarly looking for a food cheaper in price but just a little less in quality. I guess Iam going to have to try the Kirkland once he gets out of the vet.

I think you are confused. It's not the higher quality that is giving your dog a problem- it is most likley a certain ingredient. Pedigree and Iams are mostly byproducts and fillers- not things like duck, sweet potato, chicory, etc. It is likley your dog is allergic to one or more of the higher quality ingredients.

Of the foods you have tried- what are the similar ingredients? Perhaps you can look for another high quality food that has a different formula. Ultimately, your dog will have a better quality of life if you can find a better food. Buy smaller bags and give it a shot.

artemiss
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby artemiss » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:17 am

sunflower oil???

I am betting that is the rash inducing ingredient in Innova and wellness..

Du and Henny
Adolescent Bully

Postby Du and Henny » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:30 am

Yes flaxseed oil caused the rash he had before so i stopped with the innova. While on the wellness he was doing fine but he became a picky eater. Now he is on wellness core and he is scracthing like crazy. But i must admit while on Pedigree he would probably eat it whenever you put a bowl down for him

Return to “Health Issues”