I give up!!!!!!!!!! From now on Iam feeding pedigree.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:32 am

I wanted to add my 2 cents on the food matter.

My dog growing up lived 13 years(austrailian cattle dog/german shepherd) on Walmart brand food(ol' roy). She had beautiful coat and always healthy. The thing that killed her was infection from not being spayed till seh was 12. (STUPID OF MY MOM).

My neighbors dog has eaten pedigree since it was a puppy, that dog(labrador mix-I think mixed with pitty) is 15 years old and still going strong(minus being deaf now).

Sabrina my 11 year old shihtzu-had severe allergies on iams, ol' roy, ect.. but, now can only tolerate Nutro(she pukes on canidae).

Mongo had purina large breed puppy from 6 weeks to mabey 13 weeks? He was pooping alot, sick, itchy... we switched him to nutro(same time as my shihtzu) and he is doing wonderful(he is now 14 months old). He poops once a day, skin is not flaky anymore, fur is soft as soft can be.

I get about a 30 pound back for 21.00 when on sale(i only buy when on sale) ;-)!

wyldmoonwoman
Adolescent Bully

Postby wyldmoonwoman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:09 am

Ahhh...the great diet debate :yucky:

I'll add my two cents...my Thorne has severe allergies, she gets hives if she eats beef or wheat...she's fine with corn...we tried every allergy food on the market and went through all of the good ones, TW, Wellness, yadda yadda yadda...and she did not thrive on any of the so called top foods...so we finally found a decent food that works for her made by eagle pack, despite the fact that I had people telling me it wasn't the best food out there, it's not super pricey, and easy for me to find...I made my dog sicker by listening to people on message boards, we had months of itchy skin on TW ocean blue, and wellness gave my dog terrible diarrhea...If she did not develop allergies, I honestly would probably be feeding her Purina One

Which brings me to the commercial dog foods, most people out there are feeding Purina/Pedigree/Old Roy type foods, and most people have very healthy dogs that thrive on these foods, the vast majority of pet owners listed to what their veterinarians recommend for feeding or purchase what they can afford...there is nothing wrong with this...the pet food industry is what it is and if there were sick dogs all over the place, the food would get pulled from the market.

There is so many different foods to chose from because there are so many different dogs with their own unique dietary needs, as long as your dog is healthy and thriving, it's none of my business what you are feeding.

If you want to do some research, i found this website to be an excellent resource http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:31 am

my gsd was on purina one until i started joining forums.. i switched her at 2 years old to canidae, and her allergy problems started then.. she had no allergy issues prior to that on the purina.. go figure... she is now on raw, but i always wonder, if i kept her on the purina, would her allergy issues have surfaced ?

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:03 am

Du and Henny wrote:Thanks for the help seriously. But Iam not neccisarly looking for a food cheaper in price but just a little less in quality. I guess Iam going to have to try the Kirkland once he gets out of the vet.

I think I get you, and hear what you're saying.

We tried several super-premium foods on Piper. They all seemed too rich for her, giving her excessive stinky gas or soft stools. We downgraded one step at a time in quality until we were down at Blue food, a middle-of-the-road quality food about a dollar a pound. Now she has no gas and perfect poops and shiny fur. Even the Costco food didn't sit right in her stomach, and she had soft poops and gas.

Honestly, if your dog is doing GREAT on Pedigree, I don't see the problem. I'll encounter lots of disagreement for saying that, but...:dunno:

Piper came from the shelter where she lived for 11 months. They were feeding her IAMS. Seriously, her poops were hard and perfect and she had not a single fart on IAMS. On Blue she has maybe one stinky fart a day. Totally tolerable, because I know there are quality ingredients in her Blue food, so I'll take that one fart a day knowing she's getting good food.

artemiss
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby artemiss » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:01 am

I will back up Annika on this one...

If your dog was doing great on the other food, why feel bad about keeping them on it?

Every dog is different, and now that I think about it, Kira's allergies didn't show up until I put her on Nature's Variety, which I have been feeding our new greyhound, coincidentally.

And you know what?

I am going to put Ezri (the greyhound) on Natural Balance as soon as this bag of NV is empty.

I personally am NOT impressed with it, in just a couple of weeks, she's gotten terrible gas, eye boogers and her coat went form soft to greasy...on top of the fact I have to add canned to get her to eat it.
Not to mention she's a messy eater, and Kira has been finding stray crunchies and rashing like MAD.

At least with the Natural Balance, I can rest assured Kira can eat a few kibbles and NOT be rashy, and I know from personal expereince, several dogs that have done just amazing on it.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:19 pm

I used Natural Balance for a few months and it is a good food.

As we hear from more members, it is evident each dog reacts differently to food.

ME, that is very interesting! I didn't know your GSD got allergies when you stopped giving her Purina.

I would love to know the longevity of dogs a long time ago. They didn't have top notch foods and many people fed Alpo and Ken L Ration (I think that is how you spell it).

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:46 pm

Deniselynn wrote:I would love to know the longevity of dogs a long time ago. They didn't have top notch foods and many people fed Alpo and Ken L Ration (I think that is how you spell it). [/color]

Interesting question. Wonder if there is an answer floating out there somewhere.

My only two cents on this (though it doesn't speak to past eras of dogs, only a few recent dogs) is that I know of a dog who was basically fed nothing but Oscar Mayer wieners its entire life and lived to be 15. Oscar Mayer wieners are basically....well, everyone knows what's in them. lol The dog belonged to a friend of Bill's and he couldn't believe his eyes when he saw how they fed him.

My old Airedale lived to be 15 on Nutro, another "meh," less-than-average kinda food.

Bill's old miniature Schnauzer lived to be 15 on Pedigree.

Lots of 15 year old dogs eating crap, eh? lol

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:02 pm

Allie wrote:Huh? You're looking for a higher priced, lower quality food?

lol

I have a bridge I can sell you too./

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:07 pm

Sorry, that sounded way too sarcastic, I just thought it was a funny statement.

thebobosmom

DOG FOOD

Postby thebobosmom » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:07 pm

Ok guys and gals, here goes, my name is Deb and I work at Petsmart. Here's the break down we received after being hired to inform our pet parents:

Anything that you can get anywhere you go, i.e., pedigree, purina puppy and dog chow, kibbles and bits, etc., is what is called "grocery store" food, and it is the same as if you were feeding your dog McDonalds everyday. Corn is the first ingredient, because it's mostly corn. Ingredients are listed by amount in the product. The by-products talked about in these are just that, by-products that we as humans wouldn't and shouldn't consume.

Next, we have what are called "bridge" foods, these include: IAMS, Purina One and Beneful, just to name a few. They are better for your dog that grocery, but not considered a "premium" food. FYI IAMS is made by Eukanuba.

Premium foods are just that, they use the highest quality of everything, and generally use rice as a "binder" than corn, why, just like people can't digest corn, neither can dogs. The by-products they use are in fact fit for human consumption, but, they're not allowed to put that on the label by law. These foods include, Nutro, Science Diet, Eukanuba and I believe Canadie, not sure on that one as they only allow small mom and pop retailers to carry this brand.

Me personally, I have 3 dogs, 3 breeds, they all eat Nutro Max. Whatever you decide to feed your dog, you need to remember the cardinal rule about changing the diet: IT TAKES ABOUT 9 DAYS.

Day 1-3: 75% of the old, 25% new
Day 4-6: 50-50
Day 7-9: 75% of the new, 25% old
Day 10: 100% new

This gives they're bodies time to adjust and you generally have less gas and "accidents" due to upset stomach.

Most of the Premium brands make a sensitive stomach formula.

FYI - If you shop at Petsmart and have a pet perks card, the premium foods go on sale about once a month.

Kahlua
Super Bully

Postby Kahlua » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:42 am

IAMS and Pedigree are junk.
Pedigree was what we fed our dogs until we learned how it was garbage.

http://www.iamscruelty.com/

It is a PETA based website, but it still shows the facts of IAMS even if you're one of those people who think PETA is crazy.

maximalize
Newborn Bully

Postby maximalize » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:49 am

I know I posted earlier, at the start of this topic, but....I had switched Red to EVO....and wow has her gas problems quadrupled. The consistency of her stool has not improved much, the color has definitely changed, but her gas is really really bad now. Loved to read all the replies given on this topic...has definitely helped me to not feel bad about going back to Purina Pro Plan or switching to Science Diet...it was worth a shot to switch to the better quality foods, but it's an experiment I'm probably wiser to stay away from!

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:22 pm

kristakmj wrote:
iluvmypithannah wrote:
sw_df27 wrote:my dogs eat pedigree and they do great with it!!!!

x2

i had mine on purina then i asked my MIL what brand she fed her dogs since they live forever and were healthy she said pedigree so i tried that but they got the runs and alot of it , wal mart started selling maxximum the ingredients dont look to bad and the pups seem to do good on it poops look solid and not a lot . its pretty good price too

Krista,

I just started feeding Maxximum about 1.5 months ago. I had been feeding RC Bulldog and dogs did awesome, however, my wife said we could not longer afford it w/ 3 dogs and a baby. So, I switched to Kirkland (tried both lamb and chicken varieties) and the dogs did fine on both, but the gas was HORRIBLE from all 3. Tried the Maxximum nutrition after reading the ingredients and it looked pretty decent. Needless to say, the dogs had a bit of gas, but I added a little yogurt to the bowls and no problems since. Seems to be working great and at $13.50 for 20lbs it is not too pricey. My only complaint is that the biggest bag my Walmart sells is 20# which we go through in like 2 weeks. Does Walmart sell a 40# bag anywhere? My wife gets ticked if there are 20# bags laying all over the garage, but I cannot stand buying food 2-3 times a month, so that is the current point of contention.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: DOG FOOD

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:40 pm

thebobosmom wrote:
Premium foods are just that, they use the highest quality of everything, and generally use rice as a "binder" than corn, why, just like people can't digest corn, neither can dogs. The by-products they use are in fact fit for human consumption, but, they're not allowed to put that on the label by law. These foods include, Nutro, Science Diet, Eukanuba and I believe Canadie, not sure on that one as they only allow small mom and pop retailers to carry this brand.

Really, dogs AND people can't digest corn? Man, those early civilizations who raised corn for a living as a STAPLE FOOD must have been really poorly fed!!!

The Myth about Corn:
http://www.beowulfs.com/magazine/corn.htm

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:00 pm

I kind of wanted to stay out of this thread but I just can't. I have been around dogs all my life and have owned dogs personally for the last 11 years and NEVER have I had any allergy troubles or health problems by feeding what would be considered junk dog food on this messageboard, namely Pedigree, Kibbles and Bits etc. Upon finding this messageboard and reading all the posts about high quality dog foods I ended up worrying myself sick if I was doing my dogs more harm then good with the food I was feeding and also done the switch to so called high quality food. It didn't take all of three months to realize what a mistake that has been and one of my dogs (which was doing amazing, both skin and health wise on Pedigree) embarked on a journey of incredible skin problems that I ended up at the vets office on 5 different occasions, switching from one "high quality" kibble to the next (including most of the foods mentioned on here such as Canidae, Nature's Variety etc.) until I finally had enough and went with Purina Pro Plan Sensitive skin formual and guess what. Not three days after I started feeding the Purina Pro Plan his skin cleared up, hair started growing back and hives disappeared and have not come back.
To anyone thinking about switching foods all I can say is this:

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH and check with your personal vet. Taking in advice is one thing but you have to take that info with a grain of salt. If your current feeding situation is working fine with no trouble stay the course as you might set yourself up for trouble. And most of all, don't let people make you feel bad because you don't feed what they are feeding.

Return to “Health Issues”