warning bad vet in VA

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
packopits
Newborn Bully

warning bad vet in VA

Postby packopits » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:17 pm

I'm relatively new to this forum, but I believe that there are at least a few of you in the northern virginia area, so I wanted to post yesterday's horrible vet experience to warn anyone about this jacka$$.
This occured at Dumfries Animal Hospital in Dumfries VA.

So I made an appointment today for Foster at 4:30 to have a tick bite checked out since Lyme is so prevalent here.
I got there at about 4:15 so that I could do some training with Foster to try and settle him down a bit. It actually worked, after a couple of minutes he was still excited, but was sitting with me and occasionally lying down so if we had actually gotten in at 4:30 we probably wouldn't have had too much of a problem. But of course that didn't happen, as we waited and waited and waited, Foster kept getting more and more wound up by all the dogs and cats coming and going and the resident parrot that would screach each time Foster barked. But still we did some obedience training and tried to keep him occupied till at about 5:15 they finally took us into an exam room. We were immediately taken into the back to the scale where Foster sat quietly wagging his tail and got weighed ( 50.7lbs). AFter which we went back into the exam room and the tech took his temp. Amazingly he did wonderful, this is one of the things he doesn't like much but he stood quietly the entire time. So far he has been excited and barky, but very happy and friendly to everyone.
The vet then came in the room. I had never met this guy, apparently he is the owner of the hospital. I found that out later as he never introduced himself or said hello to me or anything. He quickly said hi to Foster and asked what we were there for.
Me: "he has a tick bite from a couple nights ago that has a red ring around it. I just.... (i was still talking but he interupted me)
Dr: "I don't care. That doesn't mean anything. If you could see the tick it wasn't an Ixodes so its not lyme" "Lets put him on the table"
He immediately grabs Foster around the hind end and starts lifting. Fortunately I was at his head and helped pick him up.
Dr. briefly looked at his eyes and then said "lets get him over"
Again with no further warning he grabbed his hind end and started turning.
This is where I knew we would have issues since Foster is really uncomfortable being forced onto his back.
But since he was already being twisted over, I didn't have a chance to say anything. So still at his head I helped gently turn him over. As I expected Foster started to struggle and started growling. The tech tried to jump in and help hold him down but that just made things worse.
The vet let go and said "lets back off a bit" Finally I felt like I might have a chance to slow things down a bit, but boy was I wrong.
As soon as he let go of the struggling Foster he turned around and grabbed a muzzel out of the drawer behind him.
This is where things started to get ugly.
I said something like "wait let me handle my dog..." (again I tried to explain why but he interupted me)
Dr: "NO WE WILL HANDLE THE DOG"
At which point I got pissed and replied with
Me: "NO I will handle my dog. I don't want a vet phobic dog!"
Dr: threw up his hands, threw the muzzel on the counter "Goodby" and he turned to leave
Me: "wait a minute, I will handle him"
Dr.: "Goodby, they'll help you out at the desk"
Me: "what are they going to help me with"
Dr: " they'll get you your bill"
Me: "For what? you didn't do anything"
Dr: "we examined him, they'll get you your bill"
Me "The hell you did, I"m not paying for this. I'll just leave"
Dr: "We'll send you a bill then. Goodby"

At this point I'm in shock at what just happened and in fact his tech was standing in the middle of the room with her jaw hanging open just looking back and forth. The vet walked out and left me standing there staring at the tech and her at me.
So I walk out with Foster and the receptionist says "so is everything ok with the tick bite?"
I'm standing there shaking and say "no everything is not alright" and of course everyone e(mployees and clients) stops because they can see how angry I am and I say "and he can try to send me a bill but I am not F*&^%%^*& paying it. And furthermore I will not be back."
And I walked out and drove home in tears.
Poor Foster hid in the back of the truck on the way home and when I opened the back to get him out, his ears were down and his tail was tucked. When we came in the house he ran to his bedroom to hide. He's so afraid that I'm upset at him, not to mention the treatment he got.
Fortunately he bounces back pretty quickly so I'm hopefull that he can overcome this incident.
We had gotten so far with his trust issues, I really hope this doesn't set him back too badly.
amanda and the bully brigade

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:27 pm

Wow, I'm so sorry your vet visit was so crazy! I hope you find another vet who you (and the dog) are more comfortable with.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:31 pm

Make sure to report the vet

That really stinks. I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. your poor dog!

pitbullcrazy30
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbullcrazy30 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:39 pm

wow that was unbelievable, omg what an arse hole, if you get a bill for that fight that jerkoff !!! :po:

formaximus
Matured Bully

Postby formaximus » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:16 pm

wow that's really crappy. I took Max to the Banfield in Sterling and they loved him and we got excellent care and service. I would highly recommend them.

amyd
Bully Ambassador

Postby amyd » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:43 pm

Hi Amanda,
I am glad that you are letting everyone know about this awful incident. When I read your post, I was getting so worked up. I can only imagine how you feel.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:39 pm

wow. just wow. that's horrible.

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:20 pm

OMG!
I hope you report him! Although I have no clue where and how you report a vet...

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:27 pm

Wow. How horrible.
It's posts like these that make me thankful we have a vet I trust so much.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:58 pm

OMG I would have gone berserk!! Report him!!!! (however you do that)

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:59 pm

(Just had an idea) you could call the local newspaper and tell them about it....maybe they will print a small story about it (this has happened in my area).

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:53 am

Oh, I'm horrified for you!!!!

My dog is extremely vet phobic, and would have been basically impossible to control in a similar situation. I'm so glad yours was such a sweetie and I'm so sorry he got so frightened! Give him a hug for me!

Lixx
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lixx » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:43 pm

What a horrible situation. PLEASE make sure you report it. There are so many bad vets, people need to speak up more often.

Hugs to Foster!

tabytha_S
Newborn Bully

Postby tabytha_S » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:40 pm

wow i would be irate! that a** hole! im sorry it was a bad visit for you guys!!

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:26 pm

You can file a complaint here.
http://www.dhp.virginia.gov/vet/
It might be better just to let it go and not go back.
If they do send you a bill however I would then file a complaint.

Return to “Health Issues”