PMI Nutrition dog food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
coweatchicken

PMI Nutrition dog food

Postby coweatchicken » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:25 pm

http://www.pminutrition.com/

I went by the local feed store hunting for something good yet in my price range and they sell the Exclusive brand Lamb & Rice with no corn or soy. It's pretty low in protein and fat, but she's going to be laid up pretty soon while undergoing heart worm treatment so I'd like to stick with something healthy AND something that will help control her weight better. What do you guys think? It's affordable and she isn't a big eater anyway so it'd probably last a while. I could always supplement the low protein with treats and she's getting supplements to help her coat anyway. I talked to the guy who worked there and told him about her condition (didn't mention breed or anything and he didn't ask), told him about her heart worms, he suggested I try it and they have a money back guarantee . I suppose if I go through a few bags and I think it's crap I can always return the bag I have then.

And of course it doesn't hurt that the main page for Exclusive has a bully on it. lol

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:08 pm

There's a LOT of grain in that. If she's going to be laid up I would be careful about weight gain. Supplement the low protein/high grain with raw egg. It'll help a lot.

coweatchicken

Postby coweatchicken » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:18 pm

Thanks. I've been giving her eggs since I got her to try to help her skin even more. Today I brushed her and I swear I could pick up a PILE of dry skin off the ground.

Lmporter03
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lmporter03 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:27 pm

check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com

has some great reviews on most dog foods

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:07 pm

This is Purina dog food in a different bag. The formulation may be a bit different, but our design firm designs Red Flannel and Exclusive dog food bags and they're all Purina. I'm not sure how you feel about that. It seems many people are not huge fans of Purina feeds on this board, just from reading other food posts.

But of course, the only thing that matters is what's inside, not what the brand name is. Hopefully someone here can make a recommendation from personal experience feeding a temporarily laid-up dog. Good luck!

coweatchicken

Postby coweatchicken » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:21 pm

Annika wrote:This is Purina dog food in a different bag. The formulation may be a bit different, but our design firm designs Red Flannel and Exclusive dog food bags and they're all Purina. I'm not sure how you feel about that. It seems many people are not huge fans of Purina feeds on this board, just from reading other food posts.

But of course, the only thing that matters is what's inside, not what the brand name is. Hopefully someone here can make a recommendation from personal experience feeding a temporarily laid-up dog. Good luck!

Thats all I needed to know. I won't be buying that food. Why is it so difficult to find something good that won't make her fat that I can afford?

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:59 pm

coweatchicken wrote:
Annika wrote:This is Purina dog food in a different bag. The formulation may be a bit different, but our design firm designs Red Flannel and Exclusive dog food bags and they're all Purina. I'm not sure how you feel about that. It seems many people are not huge fans of Purina feeds on this board, just from reading other food posts.

Thats all I needed to know. I won't be buying that food. Why is it so difficult to find something good that won't make her fat that I can afford?

Honest answer? Good food is expensive to make. Grain is cheap, fractions are even cheaper. Since price is an issue, and availability? Perhaps look into something like Nutro Ultra. I'm NOT fan and it's not something I would recommend but if it's the best you can do it's better than Purina. I can guarantee you will have supplement for her skin since soybean oil isn't all that good for them, high in omega 6...

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:15 am

coweatchicken wrote:
Thats all I needed to know. I won't be buying that food.

I thought as much. ;) The "PMI" in PMI Nutrition stands for Purina Mills International.

MyloveMydog
Newborn Bully

Postby MyloveMydog » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:21 am

Have you looked into premium edge dog food? I feed it for a while. The price is good, the ingrediants are okay, and my dog did really well on it. Also look into chicken soup for the dog lovers soul.

Return to “Health Issues”