Pit bull peace. HELP!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Kahlua
Super Bully

Pit bull peace. HELP!

Postby Kahlua » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:57 pm

Poor Bentley hates to have his nails cut. It isn't like he hates it and deals with it, I have to have two men hold him down while my mom quickly cuts his nails. He screams bloody murder and needs to be muzzled.

I don't want to take him into the vet because they charge out the buttocks to trim nails and I want any vet visit to be good.

Is there anything to feed him to make him...groggy...? I don't mean to sound bad, but I basically need something to knock him out. The nail trimming is terrible and his nails are starting to get uncomfortably long.

I feel so bad and nail cutting is like a rodeo :( Any ideas?

Should this go in "Health"? I'm sure it does.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:02 pm

What have you tried as far as training for this?

I hear people have success with just holding the paw, then the nail, exchanging treats for good behavior...

Kahlua
Super Bully

Postby Kahlua » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:03 pm

I have tried moving slow with things like that. He is too emotional for treats and I have rubbed the clippers on him and he is fine after some time, but it is the click sound that terrifies him plus he hates his feet being touched anyways.

I wish I had a tredmill to run him into total exhaustion. That is what I would prefer doing.

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:25 pm

sierra is the same way i have to have hubby lay on her and then i trim them but i can only get a couple clipped because then she really starts pulling whatever leg im holding and im worried i am gonna quick her, hers are getting pretty bad i think im gonna have to make an appt to get them done .

she LOVES PB but even that wont work , she is the same way though i can touch her feet its when the clip happens that she freaks

sw_df27
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sw_df27 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:54 pm

my grandmas dog will bite you if you try to clip her nails so the vet gives my grandma doggy valuim the day before and my grandma has to give it to her before she takes her up there

dr961
Super Bully

Postby dr961 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:09 pm

Kahlua wrote:I have tried moving slow with things like that. He is too emotional for treats and I have rubbed the clippers on him and he is fine after some time, but it is the click sound that terrifies him plus he hates his feet being touched anyways.

Too emotional for treats? IMO, you need to just be really patient and try desensitizing him to nail clipping, using treats, even if it takes a couple weeks until you can do one nail! Start by just showing your dog the clipper, then give a treat. Pick up a foot (no clipping), give a treat. After a couple days of this, if all is going well, try clipping only one nail (a rear one). Treat and quit. You get the picture...slow and easy, but firm.

Both my dogs were bad about nails, and one still is kind of bad, but at least I can now do what has to be done without a wrestling match.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:06 pm

What kind of treats are you using? Oscar would turn down almost any typical dog treat until we went raw and got raw treats too. He loves them, but even then if he's in a mood, he'll turn them down. He's just not an especially food motivated dog. But you might try different treats, and start them before he's got a chance to get too excited to turn them down, working slowly through each step.

Also, I think I've trimmed Oscar's nails once in four years - because we walk on cement/pavement.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:21 pm

since this is sort of an immediate issue, and you probably can't wait to desensitize your dog to the nail clipping process before you next clip his nails, i'll tell you that you should call your vet and ask if it's OK to use a dose of OTC benedryl for humans on your dog for the next nail-trimming episode. it generally makes dogs pretty groggy and i've given it from time to time during super-stressful situations . . . but not often and it's not going to make the dog sleep, just drowsy and ready for a nap.

with the nail clipping, try taking your nail clippers out and getting out some treats tomorrow (or tonight). don't have any intention of using the clippers on your dog, just have them out. show your dog the clippers and treat him. reward him for any interest in the clippers, and then put them away.

do this a few times, till the clippers are something he will associate with treats and not nail clipping. once he's comfy with the clippers and seems to think they equal treats, clip the air with them, a few feet from your dog. don't put them super close and don't make him touch them or come near when you do it, just casually make the clipping motion and reward your dog if he doesn't freak out or get upset or hide. keep doing this, till the dog really doesn't seem to care or mind the noise or motion of the clippers, and encourage him to investigate the clippers after he's heard the noise they make. reward for good response.

do that for a few more days, till you are certain the dog's not at all uncomfortable around them.

then, take the clippers out, and put them in view on the floor in front of the dog. pick up your dog's paw. reward if he lets you handle the paw without pulling away or getting antsy. get the dog used to seeing the clippers and you handling the paws while the clippers are out. but don't use the clippers on the dog. just get him comfy.

do that for a while, till this is routine for him.

then, you can start picking up the clippers while handling the paws, reward for good behavior, etc. then you can go from there to actually touching the clipper to one toenail at a time, without clipping, rewarding for good behavior, etc.

i think you probably see where i'm going with this . . . but if you do it very slowly and don't freak the dog out, he'll get used to the clippers and you will eventually be able to make your way toward actually using them without having to manhandle him.

it worked for all 3 of my dogs, none of whom was crazy about the clippers when they first "met" them!

Kahlua
Super Bully

Postby Kahlua » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:40 pm

Thanks everyone!

He's always been like this and it breaks my heart to hear him whale like that. I will call the vet to see what I can give him to relax that won't hurt him in any way. :peace:

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:43 pm

Honestly... it might be better for you to take him to the vet or a groomer, and leave the room while they do his nails.

You say it stresses you out when he gets his nails done... he will pick up on that, a lot, and it will just make him more panicky and stressed. There are a lot of dogs who do much better with their owners gone... I'd give it a try.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:51 pm

I agree with Savage Destiny. In your case, it's probably better to just take your dog to a professional. Just call around to different groomers and find out what their rates are for nail clipping, and go with the cheapest one.

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:20 am

Is the nail clipping needed or just cosmetic? I have never clipped any of my dogs nails, and its never been a problem.

Re: Benadryl, Otis is about 55lbs. and 2/25mg capsules will make him a happy clam. He got 'em last summer for some hot spots and he was a marshmallow.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:25 am

Oops, to clarify, the Benadryl was to keep him from gnawing and scratching the spots. I actually treated them with Sulfadene. He was fully functional on the Ben., just slow moving and LAID BACK.

Kahlua
Super Bully

Postby Kahlua » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:02 am

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will call some groomers to see what is cheapest too.

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:58 am

Also to get Ollie used to getting his nails clipped, we would take him on a very long walk first, so he is nice and relaxed. But I agree with the others, if it is really hard on him and training doesn't seem to work, taking him to the groomer might be best.

Return to “Health Issues”