Switched to a new Food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Switched to a new Food

Postby EmmasMom » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:03 pm

Well, as I said in the TW v. Canidae thread, I was going to switch Em's to the Canidae. We went to Agway to get it, but found it was just about the same price as TW. :sad: They had a Blue Seal food, Pork and Barley that is grain free, and the ingredients look alright...so we're going to try that. It was less expensive which is really nice. We'll see how she does on it. Here are the ingredients:

http://www.blueseal.com/dogandcat/LifeS ... Barley.php

Ingredients:
Pork Meal, Ground Barley, Ground Rice, Rice Bran, Chicken Fat (Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols), Grounds Oats, Ground Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Ground Flaxseed, Yeast Culture, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Sweet Potatoes, Dried Chicory Root, Blueberries, Dried Yeast Fermentation Solubles, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, d–Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Selenium Yeast, Sodium Selenite, DL–Methionine, Rosemary Extract, L–Ascorbyl–2–Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C).

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:39 pm

Mandie, perhaps I am mistaken but aren't rice, oats, and barley considered grains? You are looking for a grain free food correct?

Another thing I find interesting is that it is pork. I have not seen a food that has pork in the ingredients.

What exactly is Emma's problem? I apologize if I missed it.

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:05 pm

That food definitely has grain in it.

:dunno:

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:21 pm

Deniselynn wrote:Mandie, perhaps I am mistaken but aren't rice, oats, and barley considered grains? You are looking for a grain free food correct?

Another thing I find interesting is that it is pork. I have not seen a food that has pork in the ingredients.

What exactly is Emma's problem? I apologize if I missed it.

Back to Basics and Eagle Pack have pork formulas.

But yes, that food definitely has grains in it.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:47 pm

EmmasMom, that food has a LOT of grain in it and other not so good stuff in it too. :sad:

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:57 pm

How about NV Instinct?

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:05 pm

I don't know that I would feed a kibble with pork in it. My dogs get pork every once in a while for dinner, and they get some nasty farts from it. :yucky:

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:40 pm

Yea, I saw the barley and rice and stuff, I was just happy it didn't have corn in it. Em's was on TW, but it was getting WAY too expensive, especially with 6 cats and the Peanut on the way. We were gonna switch to Canidae, but that was just as expensive as the TW (least up here). She doesn't have any problems or anything, I jsut wanted her on a decent food (when we got her she was on Ol' Roy and bologna, then we put her on Iams :yucky: ) I was hoping this was half-way decent anyway. I guess next bag (luckily we just got a small one to see how she did on it..plus we're like, broke till the next paycheck and she was almost out of food) will have to be pricey-er and better. Is Wellness any good? They have that at Agway for a decent price. GAH...I'm tired of dog food...they should ALL be healthy, good foods for goodness sakes! There shouldn't be ANY crap foods marketed!

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:41 pm

Sorry for the DP...I can't believe it is advertised as Grain Free...that's weird.

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:41 pm

Okay...triple post, agh! We tried her on NV and she did miserably on it..she HATED it with a passion.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:15 am

Wow, how much is the Canidae up there? I only pay $31-34 for a 40 lb bag, usually.

formaximus
Matured Bully

Postby formaximus » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:45 am

The Canidae is under $25 for a 20lbs bag here. I just bought the small bag myself of the chicken and rice so Max can slowly adjust to it and make sure he's going to like it.

The addition of the salmon oil and the occasional egg should help too.

Best of luck :thumbsup:

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:11 am

I like the wellness and think it is a good food :) good luck on your quest. I ended up on Natural Balance when I went on the same quest!

Lula
Newborn Bully

Postby Lula » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:16 am

I guess we're lucky here too. I pay $27.99 for a 40 lb bag of Canidae Lamb & Rice at our feed store which is better and suprisingly less expensive than the Science Diet Lamb & Rice I was feeding before at $38.99 for a 35 lb bag.

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:16 am

WOW, I wish Canidae was that inexpensive! It was $45 for 40lbs. The TW was $50 (depending on variety) for 40lbs.

Return to “Health Issues”