More tummy woes...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

More tummy woes...

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:54 am

So Oliver had the toughest time getting rid of his worms/intestinal issues. He had Giardia forever, and went through round and round of medication. Right before I left on vacation (and Ollie stayed with my mother) I got a fecal exam. FINALLY no giardia.

My mother reported that he had fine, normal bowl movements the entire time I was gone. But to be safe, when he came back I took a piece of his poop (the most perfect, normal looking poop I've ever seen him have) to the vet, and the test results were negative again.

That was two days ago, and ever since that poop he has had awful diaherrea. Right now this poor dog is laying right next to me on the couch, and I can hear his poor tummy squealing and squishing inside of him. He didn't touch breakfast, and had bad diaherrea this morning- just like he did when he had giardia- though he's never passed up breakfast before.

I'm just stumped. How can he have perfect bowl movements and be normal for two weeks, but as soon as we get home- bam, bowel issues again. He eats Taste of the Wild, and is currently also getting a VERY small amount of moist dog food- its crap food but my mother started giving it to him as a treat- and as I said, while he was on it for two weeks with her, no issues.

Nothing has changed in routine, and since I am yardless, he only gets to get around on lead- so I would know if he ate something questionable. We went to the beach two days ago, and through town yesterday and through the community forest- so he saw a lot- but yeah... didn't eat anything and I was very careful to have him avoid water.

Should I take ANOTHER fecal sample in? Or wait this out a few days? The poor kid seems so miserable.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:26 am

Was he eating the crappy food during the time he was having normal poop?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:54 am

for now I would not feed the kibble/crappy can food
I would boil some chicken, make some white rice, add some can pumpkin, plain, non flavored yogurt or keiffer, too.
I always keep the broth/water from boiling the chicken to add to the mix, and if they will not eat, use it to try and entice them to at least drinkg the broht to keep from dehydrating. If they get well soon, then I use the broth to wet their kibble when they are back to eating normal, it is extra goodies for them.
Do you give him any kind of probiotics regularly to help is gut?
As far as taking in anotehr sample, if you can afford to, and it will make you feel better, then take in a sample but I woudln't worry if I waited a day or two to see how he does either.
My senior dog will get what i call 'grumpy tummy', it is so loud it can be heard in the other room, but it only last a day usually and she will be back to normal the next day. During that time, she eats very little, but does drink the broth well. It has become a lot less frequent since I started feeding her plain keiffer in her meals several times per week.

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:34 am

Yes, he was eating the crappy food and having normal bowel movements. The only reason I have been continuing the crap food is a) my dear mother bought an entire case of it and b) i have been feeding him less of it, to ween him off so its not a shock for him.

About how much of the boiled chicken/rice mixture should I offer him? Any particular kind of chicken I should buy? (breast,thigh, etc?) I know it needs to be deboned...

I dont know anything about probiotics, could you tell me more?

As far as supplements go, he occassionally gets an egg and a scoop of yogurt.

Im just frustrated because I really dont know how well he is doing on Taste of the Wild at all, since he has ALWAYS had tummy issues. So I dont know if along with getting the rice and chicken, if I should try to find a sensitive formula for him, or what.

I do know that when I first got him, he was on purina and was doing just fine. :po: But he was only on that for the two weeks the rescue lady had him- no clue what he was getting from the breeder (probably lowest grade crap).

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:48 am

By the way, the dog I am fostering is being fed the same thing as Ollie- with no issues....

Could the foster dog be getting Oliver sick!? I took her in for basic shots and rabies yesterday plus a fecal.. I'll get the results back from that today... they arn't allowed to be alone together- but is that possible??

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:07 pm

oh maybe it is stress from the foster dog being there then?
Have they shared any comon water bowls or potty areas and if so how long ago did they start shairng the bowls. potty areas.
You can buy Probiotics at most feed stores, it is a supplement to give them to help multiply the good bacteria in their gut . That is why I give Keiffer or plain yogurt abut every other day if not more. If my dogs had more/regular stomach issues, I woudl buy the probiotics and give daily.
I always buy deboned chicken breast and boil it to feed(only becasue it is less greasy then dark meat and easeir to not have to pick thru the bones to feed it once it has cooled) I also buy orgainc so there are no steroids, or anitibiotics left over from the cow in the meat, but you don't have to if you aren't as anal about it as me.
I know Oliver is a little guy so not sure how much you normally feed him.
But for my 12-14 pound little dog here I will feed about 1/3 cup of the cooked rice with a couple tablespons of cooked chicken, along with a teaspoon of pumpin and two teaspoons of yogurt in the mixture
My little guy only eats a small handful of kibble when he is fed kibble, so maybe you can judge from those amounts Aja?

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:14 pm

pblove wrote:oh maybe it is stress from the foster dog being there then?
Have they shared any comon water bowls or potty areas and if so how long ago did they start shairng the bowls. potty areas.
You can buy Probiotics at most feed stores, it is a supplement to give them to help multiply the good bacteria in their gut . That is why I give Keiffer or plain yogurt abut every other day if not more. If my dogs had more/regular stomach issues, I woudl buy the probiotics and give daily.
I always buy deboned chicken breast and boil it to feed(only becasue it is less greasy then dark meat and easeir to not have to pick thru the bones to feed it once it has cooled) I also buy orgainc so there are no steroids, or anitibiotics left over from the cow in the meat, but you don't have to if you aren't as anal about it as me.
I know Oliver is a little guy so not sure how much you normally feed him.
But for my 12-14 pound little dog here I will feed about 1/3 cup of the cooked rice with a couple tablespons of cooked chicken, along with a teaspoon of pumpin and two teaspoons of yogurt in the mixture
My little guy only eats a small handful of kibble when he is fed kibble, so maybe you can judge from those amounts Aja?

Thanks for your advice! Trinity has only been here for a few days (this is day three). they are fed out of seperate bowls in separate areas- and while I dont think they shared a water bowl, it COULD happen. They are either watched closely at all times with me in the room (she is very non dog aggressive) or they are seperated. Both dogs are taken to similar potty areas seperatly, and I clean fecal matter immediately (again, no fenced yard, so its common grounds for the property).

She seems perfectly fine, but of course she is a pitbull, so maybe she is just much more stoic than my little wuss. He seems to really love having another dog around (and his best friend was chance, my mothers pit mix over the vacation), so I dont think he is expiriencing any emotional stress. Plus, yesterday and the day before he got a lot of exercise- maybe we just over did it a little bit?

Thanks for everything, the vet should be calling soon with the results from her fecal- so that may give me more info. I am also going to start calling the local rescues again.. and see if they will return my call.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:27 pm

it could still be stress though, because this is a new dog in HIS home, not him going to play with Chance?
also, for future refs, when ever you bring a new animals into your care, it is best to quarantine them for a couple weeks so you are sure the are no worms or illness to spread to your other critters.It will make things a lot easeir if you do .
But I don't think it is from the foster dog in this case.
Some dogs just have more sensitive stomach issues and since he had such a hard time from the girhidia, he is more prone to stomach upsets.
Hopefully, he played too much yesterday, or got stressed and he wll be back to normal in a day or so.
But you might want to look into keeping him on probiotics regularly though?
Feel better soon Oliver.

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:35 pm

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I should have thought about quaranteening the dog. I actually did not really want to foster her, nor was I prepared to do it. It was pretty random, and she was so sweet I just said I'd watch her for a while. (her story is in rescue section)

But after this weekend, once she is spayed, I am not longer keeping her. She will either go back to the original person who found her, or I will have to take her to the shelter (if no darn rescue will answer my calls!) It breaks my heart, she is so lovely, but I realllly dont want to keep a second dog at this time.

I'm going to go to the store today and get some pro-biotics, and rice is cooking right now. On a good note- beyond his very grumbly tummy and not eating, he seems fine. he's playing with a toy right now (trinity is in the bedroom with cole). So.... we'll see.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:00 pm

your welcome hope the tips it help Oliver get well
I don';t go into rescue section, ever, too heartrbrekaing for me.(did rescue for clsoe to 30 years and it nevr gets any better, except for the one that I managed to help that is)
I hope she gets a fair chance at least. :frown:

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:42 pm

Her fecal came back- its clear. I also talked to the vet, and she said she doubted he got anything from her, especially since he is up to date on every shot imaginable. She said to keep him comfy and if he worsens or starts throwing up to bring him in.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:46 pm

So your pup had normal stools at your parents place for two weeks, then comes home and has diarrhea again. Is it possible he is continuously re-infecting himself with Giardia?

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:51 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:So your pup had normal stools at your parents place for two weeks, then comes home and has diarrhea again. Is it possible he is continuously re-infecting himself with Giardia?

I don't see how! I clean his water bowl three times a day (his furry little beard drags stuff into his water) and beyond some puddles there are no water sources around. Ever since he has been going through this I have been super vigilent about making sure hes not drinking water from the outside. I clean his water bowl with hot soap and water every morning. He does not eat animal feces...

Could he get it any other way?

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:54 pm

Have the stomach problems/lack of coincided with the crap food and the good food (sorry, I don't know the names of each)?

It's been my experience, and it pains me to say this, that sometimes lower quality foods go over better with dogs having digestive problems. Maybe it's all the grains that firm up the stool, or perhaps better quality kibbles are just richer or something?
In any case, I'm not suggesting you feed Ollie a low quality diet, but rather that maybe what you're currently feeding just doesn't sit right with him :dunno:

Way back when the my dogs ate Purina One, we always got firm poop. Once I decided to keep them and went looking for a better food, we went through every decent kibble I could find and tons of terrible poop before finding something that worked (aka not kibble lol ).

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:13 pm

Well, since he has had the crap food- mighty dog select menu- canned, his stools had improved. Now, I feed him Taste of the Wild, the venison variety, and I THINK he was eating that also at hom.

OMG! As I was typing up this post, he just puked FOAMY YELLOW! Is it time for the vet!?

Return to “Health Issues”