More tummy woes...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:23 pm

Starbux1 wrote:I know Daisy has Colitis, which is aggravated by anything with wheat, corn, or soy in it.

When one of my guys gets the poops, I load up on brown rice, and also give lots of veggies for fiber. They LOVE sweet potato, carrots, peas, broccoli, pumpkin, pineapple, apples, potatoes, etc. The added fiber really seems to help firm things back up! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips! Do you ever add these foods as a supplement or only with their bowels start acting up?

And TOTW bison and venison has 32% protien... which I guess is probably still too much for him, though we do go on a long walk every day... still not a working dog!

California Natural is 21% and Solid Gold Wee Bits (for small dogs) is 28%... do you guys think I should go with the lower protien then? Im not sure I understand the concept of "rich". What makes a food too rich?

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:51 pm

"rich" can mean a lot of things--too rich in protein, too rich in supplements that could upset tummies, too rich in cooked meats or a particular kind of meat. some people say things like sunflower oil are not well digested or tolerated by dogs.

if i put it into the simplest terms, the blandest of diets is going to be just rice and boiled white-meat chicken. low in fat, not terribly nutrient dense, basically the opposite of rich. start adding other meats, oils, etc. and you're going to be going to be creating a richer feed. too rich is a vague way of saying it's more stuff--whether it's proteins or oils or supplements or minimally process grains or whatever--than his sensitive stomach can handle.

Starbux1
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Starbux1 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:08 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:Thanks for the tips! Do you ever add these foods as a supplement or only with their bowels start acting up?

I give Daisy a few tablespoons of brown rice with each meal, but I almost always give some to the other two as well, so there's no squabbling over food. I always have some extra stuff mixed in their food for taste and nutritional variety. Success brown rice comes in boil-in bags, so I just cook a few bags up and keep it in a plastic container in the fridge. I always mix something in with the rice, whether it's peas, carrots, broccoli, etc. Anything they like goes in, but it's a little different each time. I eat a lot of veggies, so I'm constantly cutting something up anyway, might as well share!

Daisy has done fantastic on Merrick, but each dog will be different as to what food they do well on. If she gets into anything she shouldn't have, or has a softish poop, I load up the rice til things get back to normal. Same with my other two. It works for all of my guys.

Starbux1
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Starbux1 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:15 pm

Oh, and sweet potatoes are easy, too! Whenever I go to the organic food market, I grab a few. Bake them at 350 until they start to ooze juice through the skin, remove from oven and let them cool until you can handle them - they'll come right out of the skin, and you can plop the "meat" into a plastic container and mash them with a fork, and they keep for days in the fridge so you can add a little at a time to the food.

When I'm cutting up raw potatoes, I dice some up really small, drop them into a plastic container, and cover them with water, which keeps them from turning black, so I can use them over a couple of days. Then I toss some into the pups' food. Yum!!

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:15 pm

I think 28% protein is a good amount for most dogs. All my adult dogs are currently eating a 30% protein food and they are not currently that active. My small dog especially does very well on it.

None of mine ever did well on low grain or grain free foods. Butters the shar pei was the only one who could even tolerate it without regular stomach problems, and even then he kept losing weight.

Return to “Health Issues”