Ear Injury Question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Ear Injury Question

Postby AriesGodofWar » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:04 pm

My girls were in the yard playing as they always do, and apparently, someone got a canine to go through the end of Aries's ear leaving a little hole. I would guess from the wound, it apparently happened about 2 days ago (I just noticed it last night). There was no blood that I could find anywhere (otherwise I obviously would have seen it as I have all blonde hard wood floors and the dogs all live inside). Now the question, besides cleaning the wound and applying antibiotic, is there anything else I should be doing? I assume there is no point in sutures or going to the vet as there is no blood, and the hole is small enough to heal on its own.

Here are some pics:

I have noticed as it starts to scab and heal, that Aries has started to shake her head, which I hope does not bust the scab off :sad:

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:09 pm

I would keep a very, very close eye on it. Punctures like that are prone to infection. You are right- a vet couldn't sew that up, but she might cover it and recommend anti biotics if it starts to get icky.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:34 pm

Just keep an eye on it. You can only place stitches within 6-8 hour of when the wound occured, so theres really no reason to even bother with the vet at this time.

I've seen similar wounds where there was a lot of scar formation, so it may turn into a hard raised lump, but this eventually went away, it just took a couple months.

sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Postby sarallyn » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:39 pm

Yup, just a small puncture. Can't get it stitched now, so I would flush it with hydrogen peroxide twice a day and then cover it with antibiotic ointment (you can get it in a grocery store if you don't have it already).

It should be alright if you keep it very clean.

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:06 pm

I don't recommend the hydrogen peroxide... it is irritating to tissues and actually can slow healing by killing new skin cells.

This looks small enough that it should heal fine on its own as long as it doesn't get infected. Take it to a vet if it starts getting red, puffy, or oozing pus.

You can only place stitches within 6-8 hour of when the wound occured, so theres really no reason to even bother with the vet at this time.

Just for future reference, this is not true. You are probably thinking of the fabled "golden period" when you have the best chance to clean a dirty wound and be able to close it without fancy things like drains or trimming away nasty tissue. This really applies more to infection setting in than to placing stitches.
Still, for all practical purposes, older wounds are more likely to need management with bandaging for a while before stitching them, since they are more likely to have gotten dirty. I've seen some big nasty wounds that were super-dirty managed for up to a week as open wounds with bandage changes, then stitched closed once the infection was cleared up. Of course, this is mostly FYI, and doesn't really apply to minor injuries like this one!

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:15 am

hydrogen peroxide is caustic, it actually damages tissue and prevents new growth. They may have not stitched it anyway, most bite wounds are left open unless they are tearing wounds, the reason behind this is that they need to drain. at this point moniter it for any swelling, or foul smelling discharge which would both indicate infection, otherwise it should heal on it's own.

Return to “Health Issues”