how much do you feed your pitbull?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
katan
Newborn Bully

Postby katan » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:51 pm

spammie wrote:
katan wrote:Mine only get fed once a day. They each get 1 cup of dry and usually tuna or kangaroo or chicken mince is added in, this is done in the evening and get 15min to eat. They also get a chicken carcass each after training in the morning. Every few months i try change it up for them

Interesting. How do you get kangaroo, and do people eat it also?

Kangaroo mince is sold in every petshop and supermarket around here. It is pretty popular for dogs. Its a bit more expensive then chicken but it is more recommended and the dogs love it. :headbang:
The tails of kangaroos are meant 2 be heaps good for the dogs

you can buy kangaroo for human consumption but i dont think its 2 nice. its alot harder 2 chew then beef or any other meat

dragynflye
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dragynflye » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:02 pm

*leenie* wrote:Ginger is free fed but she only eats about 1-2 cups out of her bowl a day and Emma gets 1/2 a cup twice a day cause shes on a diet to slim down

how in the WORLD do you keep emma from ginger's food?!? (just curious!)

river currently gets 2 cups canidae. we're in the process of switching to taste of the wild. bag says she should get 2-3 cups a day, we'll see.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:33 am

Falon gets 1 1/2 cup in the AM, and 1 3/4 cup in the evening (after our run) with her supplement and a spoonful of canned. We used to do 4 cups a day, but she was getting too round, and then when I tried 3 cups a day, she was too skinny. This is the "balance" that keeps her lean but "filled out."

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:39 am

AriesGodofWar wrote:Aries gets 4 cups, and Lucy and Gemini each get 3 cups all with a teaspoon of yogurt on top. I am currently feeding the Maxximuum Nutrition Lamb and Rice formula.

can i ask how old your dogs are? since we feed the same food ,

kilo gets just over 4 cups a day, hes a string bean, ace gets just under 4 a day hes a haus, and sierra gets around 2 cups

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:10 am

Wednesday is free fed, so I really have no idea.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:32 am

I see a couple here free feed. Just a question, how do you monitor food intake?

artemiss
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby artemiss » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:04 am

I like this thread..esp if everyone puts how much of what kind of food. It is very interesting to see the differences in portions not only between different foods, but individual dogs as well.

Kira is about 40 lbs, 11 mos old, and gets 3 cups Royal Canin IVD Venison and Potato kibble. This is split into 2 meal a day, usually with a spoon or two of DVP Natural Balance Venison or Fish wet food on each bowl.

Ezri, the greyhound is 4 yr old, 70 lbs, is currently getting about 4 cups of DVP Natural Balanca Fish and Sweet Potato kibble, also fed in two meals a day with a spoon of the same wet as Kira AND a spoon of yogurt on each bowl. (we are still trying to guesstimate what she should be getting, unlike Kira, she's a bottomless pit..)

the pack also gets a nice meaty bone a couple of times a week, and about 2-3 crunchy treats and several slices of dried sweet potato a day.

artemiss
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby artemiss » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:08 am

Allie wrote:I see a couple here free feed. Just a question, how do you monitor food intake?

When we just had Kira, we free fed. The way I kept track was this: Inthe am, I would dump whatever was leftover in the bowl into the measuring scoop. I would add fresh food to that to equal half of her "daily rations" then when the bowl was empty, I would add the second half.
Very rarely would she ever eat more, but we would occasionall throw some extra in her bowl at night.

She honestly seemed to ration herself VERY well, and actually ate less than she is now that we are on a mealtime schedule (the greyhound would eat until she popped, so we had to do this)

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:02 am

harv gets a heaping cup of wellness core twice a day.
luce gets a cup of canidae als twice a day.
mushroom gets 3/4 of a cup of canidae als twice a day.

i do feed a little more or a little less if they've been more active or less active than usual, but that's about where it stands.

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:43 am

Allie wrote:I see a couple here free feed. Just a question, how do you monitor food intake?

Honestly, I don't do anything but keep an eye on her waistline. Wednesday is a little bit of a finicky eater. She eats a few bites here and there but rarely eats a full meal in one feeding. I had been doing twice a day feedings up until a few months ago, but she was a little on the thin side and the vet also commented that she felt Wednesday was a little underweight. I started free feeding and she's gained enough weight that she's now nice and trim, but not skinny.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:43 am

Django eats about 4C a day (2C 2x a day) of Bonds Gourmet Dog Food All Gold (it is basically the same recipe as Canidae ALS but costs $27 for 40lbs. They are a new business where I live and my dogs love the food) as well as about 1/4C 2xday of home cooked food (basically chicken soup on steroids). He is about 18mo about 53lbs and we have a hard time keeping his weight up as he is so active.

Pablo eats 2C (1C 2xday) of the same plus about 1/8C 2xday of the home cooked. He is about a year and weighs about 37lbs.

Baby our foster eats 2 1/2C (1 1/4C 2xday) and 1/8C 2xday of the home cooked. He is approx 2-3yr and weighs 57lbs.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:32 pm

Oscar was free-fed for the first 2.5 years we had him and has always been in terrific shape. He's just a picky eater by nature (training was a :po: because he didn't care if he got treats or not!). I have no idea how much he ate then - I'd put a few cups in the bowl and a few days later he'd rattle it and I'd put a few more in. But I always put in the same amount, and different amounts of time passed between the rattles, so I think he just self-moderated.

This fall we went raw, and he gets a 1lb chub of K9 Kravings 5 or 6 days a week, usually (but not always) additional chicken or turkey parts, and usually has one day of complete fast (other than training treats) a week. So probably a pound and a quarter to a pound and a half six days a week.

We also use K9 Kravings Training Treats as well, which he loves. (no affiliation, just a happy user). I'll keep using the training treats even if I go to all "home made" raw meals.

Changing his diet has made him more food motivated, and his physique more "cut" - more definition, but I'm not sure if he really lost any weight, a pound or two maybe.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:43 pm

Jersey is probably around 45 pounds, she was 53 when I got her and now is down to a better weight, she was free fed Pedigree before and now she gets 1 cup Canidae twice a day plus a treat.

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:52 pm

Mongo is almost 15 months old and weighs 60 pounds and is an American bulldog/Lab mix.
He gets 3 cups in the AM of Nutro food. He usually has leftovers for the next day. So I think he really only eats 2 cups a day.

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:39 pm

dragynflye wrote:
*leenie* wrote:Ginger is free fed but she only eats about 1-2 cups out of her bowl a day and Emma gets 1/2 a cup twice a day cause shes on a diet to slim down

how in the WORLD do you keep emma from ginger's food?!? (just curious!)

river currently gets 2 cups canidae. we're in the process of switching to taste of the wild. bag says she should get 2-3 cups a day, we'll see.

Emma lives with me and Ginger lives with My bf. But Ginger loves Emma's food, but Emma eats it before Ginger can get to it. lol

Return to “Health Issues”