taste of the wild, ethoxyquin?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
dragynflye
Bully Lover 4 Life

taste of the wild, ethoxyquin?

Postby dragynflye » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:33 pm

ok, i did a search, and found lots about taste of the wild, but couldn't find the info i was looking for. does any one know if it contains ethoxyquin?

Nicki
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nicki » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:01 am

Taste of the Wild's web site does not list that as an ingredient.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:08 am

Just so you guys know...

We recieved a fax recently from the FDA stating that any fish not specifically meant for human consumption MUST be preserved with ethoxyquin. I don't know why, but there you have it. So unless a dog food company is buying fish that was meant for human consumption, there will be ethoxyquin in it- and it does not have to be on the label, as it is assumed everyone knows that pet food fish must be preserved with ethoxyquin.

jrsapbt
Adolescent Bully

Postby jrsapbt » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:16 pm

I rear somewhere that someone emailed TOTW and they are free of that chemical. Sorry, can't remember any more than that. I switched to TOTW from Timberwolf about three weeks ago. So far so good.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:08 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:Just so you guys know...

We recieved a fax recently from the FDA stating that any fish not specifically meant for human consumption MUST be preserved with ethoxyquin. I don't know why, but there you have it. So unless a dog food company is buying fish that was meant for human consumption, there will be ethoxyquin in it- and it does not have to be on the label, as it is assumed everyone knows that pet food fish must be preserved with ethoxyquin.

aw man, I didn't know this, but thank you for alerting us on this.
I won't even buy hermti crab food with ethoxyquin in it! :po:

dragynflye
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dragynflye » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:52 pm

well, i was talking to a friend of mine, and turns out she recently emailed the company with the same question. they told her that "they make their own fish meal from fresh fish that is kept stored at 35 degrees, so you can be assured that it does not contain ethoxyquin."

SoArkSi
Newborn Bully

Postby SoArkSi » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:46 pm

I have another question about the TOTW food and other foods also. When it claims in the ingredients that it has meat meal, or venison meal, or any meat with meal behind it, what exactly does that contain? I have looked and asked at local pet stores and vets and have still not found a definite answer. Thanks.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:02 pm

SoArkSi wrote:I have another question about the TOTW food and other foods also. When it claims in the ingredients that it has meat meal, or venison meal, or any meat with meal behind it, what exactly does that contain? I have looked and asked at local pet stores and vets and have still not found a definite answer. Thanks.

This is the AAFCO and FDA definition of meat meal:

"meat meal" is "the rendered product from mammal tissues, exclusive of any added blood, hair, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents."

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:13 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:Just so you guys know...

Interesting! Thanks for posting!

SoArkSi
Newborn Bully

Postby SoArkSi » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:41 am

I am trying to stay away from by-product ingredients, but even the most expensive food I can find in town (TOTW 30lbs for about $37) still has fish meal or venison meal) I guess as long as I stay away from by-products and certain ingredients as the first labeled thats all I can do until I find a better food closer to home.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:42 am

SoArkSi wrote:I am trying to stay away from by-product ingredients, but even the most expensive food I can find in town (TOTW 30lbs for about $37) still has fish meal or venison meal) I guess as long as I stay away from by-products and certain ingredients as the first labeled thats all I can do until I find a better food closer to home.

I don't see any problems with meal... all it is is the muscle tissue that's been rendered before its cooked into the food instead of being rendered while being cooked.

You'll be very hard pressed indeed to find food without meal, because when meat (which is close to 70% water) goes into the cooking process fresh instead of rendered, it loses all the water during cooking and ends up being much further down the ingredient list than it was at its original weight. Yet labels don't have to be changed to reflect that, since it was at a heavier weight when it went into the food. Meat meal, on the other hand, is the same product but already has that water gone, so it stays at the place it is listed in the ingredients on the bag.

Contrary to what many people believe, meat sources in "meal" form (as long as they are from a specified type of animal, such as chicken meal, lamb meal, salmon meal etc.) are not inferior to whole, fresh meats. Meals consist of meat and skin, with or without the bones, but exclusive of feathers/hair, heads, feet, horns, entrails etc. and have the proper calcium/phosphorus ratio required for a balanced diet. They have had most of the moisture removed, but meats in their original, "wet" form still contain up to 75% water. Once the food reaches its final moisture content of about 9-12%, the meat will have shrunk to sometimes as little as 1/4 of the original amount, while the already dehydrated meal form remains the same and you get more concentrated protein per pound of finished product. This means that in the worst case you are left with only 4 ounces of actual meat content per pound of fresh meat included in a dry kibble, many of which contain less than one pound of meat per 2-3 pounds of grain to begin with. Preferably a food contains quality meat meal as well as some fresh meat.

From http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php ... erproducts

SoArkSi
Newborn Bully

Postby SoArkSi » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:01 am

Oh I see now. Thanks for clearing that up. That makes since explained that way, I guess the only thing now is that when it says "meat meal" is to wonder that the "meat" is! I will probally try the TOTW venison and bison or the duck for a while, since it has good quality meat, vegetables fruits and other nutrients my dog needs. Now only if I could find a food to make an albino APBT hear! I feel better about the meal ingredients now.

Return to “Health Issues”