Bleeding Tail

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Bleeding Tail

Postby merriterrier » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:30 am

What is the best way to stop a tail from bleeding? There is a great APBT in our shelter right now, but he was chained outside and attacked by other dogs (his previous owners story). His nose was almost compleatly torn off and has been reattached and he also lost the last vertabre of his tail and the end of it is exposed flesh (about 1/2" all around and another 1/4" down one side) and a tiny bit of bone. The Director of the Humane League will not allow him to go to the vet. We have tried wrapping his tail with gauze and duct tape but it keeps coming off. and then he starts wagging his tail and blood goes everywhere. Last night I went to check on him and all 4 walls of his kennel looked like a double homicide. What can I do to help the bleeding stop? I was thinking about getting some of that vet wrap and wrapping his whole tail and around his back legs and back up his tail to keep it on. Any ideas?
Thanks!

jrsapbt
Adolescent Bully

Postby jrsapbt » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:11 pm

Try wrapping it to a leg to start, it draws less attention to the tail and the dog will hopefully pay less attention to it. If that doesnt work try a large suringe cover and tape it to the tail. Make sure the end is cut open to allow air to get at it. You will have to repeat this process over and over. It can take months to heal "happy tail".

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:31 pm

ok, thanks, I'll try that. Poor guy, he's gonna look even more ridiculous with his tail taped to his leg.

Amie

Re: Bleeding Tail

Postby Amie » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:21 pm

merriterrier wrote:The Director of the Humane League will not allow him to go to the vet.

:eek:

You might also try one of those band-aid alternatives - I think it's called something like "Nu Skin" - it's this clear coating you "paint" on the wound that dries and then behaves like a band-aid. I've seen people use it on heels when they wanted to wear dressy shoes and not get blisters. 8) It might stick better because you can paint between the hairs where bandages would just adhere to the hair and not be able to get to the skin. I don't have any idea if this would work, but it seems like it might be worth a try...

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:27 pm

I wouldn't tape his tail to his legs .
vet wrap can cause a lot more harm then good if it is too tight, can and will stop circulation causing dead tissue that needs amputation.
(many a horse has had horrific tendon damage from vet wrap being applied in the wrong direciton against the tendons and being applied too tighlty) I even worked at a farm where a mare's tail was wrapped to deliver her foal(to keep it out of the way)her tail wrap was left on too tightly for 24 hours and her tail actually needed amputation from no circulation, it started rotting)
tails do bleed a lot, like ears, and happy tail is hard to stop once it is opened like that. So many happy tails end up needing amputation, sadly, but I doubt this dog is going to be a candidate for that being a shelter dog.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:30 pm

there is a super glue skin stuff that is a bit stronger then Nu Skin,
Walgreens has it.
www.jefferspets or is it www.jefferspet.com ? well one of them have a super Surcial Glue that is even better than both at walgreens.

Scooter has serious happy tail and the jefferspets stuff I think saved her tail... took about three applications tho.
and takes a few days to be shipped to you.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:25 am

You can google this, but I saw a site where they used foam pipe insulation loosely wrapped on the dog's tail. Air was able to get in and out so it wasn't warm and dark and a hotbed for infection, the tail was protected from further injury, and they put antibiotic ointment on under the wrap. They had a nifty picture of a perfectly happy looking German Shepherd with its tail all taped up.

We are dealing with happy tail right now that I put gauze and some vet wrap on for a day, but he chewed it off, and this didn't protect the tail tip from further injury. Then he really went to town on his tail and made a big yucky hot spot thing that has a big scab on it. Now he is wearing a cone, too. I got all freaked out (because I'm paranoid) that I wrapped the vet wrap too tight and his tail was going to die, but then he showed me that he has obviously good circulation in the tail (still bloody happy tail tip, formation of scab on hot spot, pink irritated skin on the hot spot, skin turns white then pink when pressed). So, we've got the cone, the antibiotic topical ointment, some anti-chew spray, and the foam pipe insulation is going to be tomorrow's project. It's a pain to deal with and obviously painful for my wussy lil' dog, and he's not nearly in as rough shape as your girl. Poor thing.

Why is the shelter not providing veterinary services for the animals in its care? Has the dog been given at least some antibiotics and/or pain relievers while she's waiting for her legal hold to be up?

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm

Thank you all for the advice. I was just going to head over to check on Ted when I read the rest of the posts. I had no idea vet wrap could cause damage, thanks for the heads up! I will try the Nu Skin stuff.

Yeah, the Director is a unconfirmed Pit Bull hater (she talks about what nice dogs Pit Bulls are, and then says how they should all be destroyed and how they are a menace) and there "isn't any money to take a dog like that" So that is why she won't let him go to the vet :frown:
He is on antibiotics because when he was brought in his nose had to be reattached.

Thanks again!

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:48 pm

Is there anyone that you can report her to for animal cruelty? This is not a case of happy tail! He has part of a tail missing for christs sake!!!! If I did that to my dog, and MHS found out about it, I would be arrested for not providing medical care! This is just deplorable, and I would do what ever is nessarcy to get this HUMANE worker dismissed as obviously she is not providing HUMANE care!!!!!!1

:po: :po: :po: :po: :po: ! The dog needs a vet if a vertabre is missing, if you injured your back, and the tail bone broke off how would you feel? He needs pain meds! What a bitch!! Give me 5 minitues with her, please! irregardless of this dogs breed, it deserves vet care for an amputated tail, and if she refuses it, then the dog is better off pts and out of pain from that tail, which will get infected... :crybaby: poor puppy... it doesn't deseve this because it is a pit and she is a bitch..

sorry for my rant... I know your trying to help the pup, it just makes me sooo mad that because she is in HUMANE work, she can basicly allow torture to this dog :(

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:01 pm

deedeesmom wrote:Is there anyone that you can report her to for animal cruelty? This is not a case of happy tail! He has part of a tail missing for christs sake!!!! If I did that to my dog, and MHS found out about it, I would be arrested for not providing medical care! This is just deplorable, and I would do what ever is nessarcy to get this HUMANE worker dismissed as obviously she is not providing HUMANE care!!!!!!1

:po: :po: :po: :po: :po: ! The dog needs a vet if a vertabre is missing, if you injured your back, and the tail bone broke off how would you feel? He needs pain meds! What a bitch!! Give me 5 minitues with her, please! irregardless of this dogs breed, it deserves vet care for an amputated tail, and if she refuses it, then the dog is better off pts and out of pain from that tail, which will get infected... :crybaby: poor puppy... it doesn't deseve this because it is a pit and she is a bitch..

sorry for my rant... I know your trying to help the pup, it just makes me sooo mad that because she is in HUMANE work, she can basicly allow torture to this dog :(

Aye my feelings exactly. I could not help but get enraged reading about this. That poor poor dog.... And this woman is acting like that?!?!?

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:55 pm

I got Nu Skin for Teds tail. There isn't a Walgreens in the nearby towns, so I will go tomorrow to the larger town about 45min away and get some stronger stuff. Frank (the shelter manager, fellow Pit Bull lover and my partner in crime) got the vet to give him some more antibiotics and pain meds without seeing the Ted. Thanks for the link luvnstuff I will order some for the future.

I don't know what I can do about the Director. She is the Director of the Humane League as well as the President of the Board (conflict of interest maybe?). And it is basically like an all in the family sort of operation. I work with this shelter cause it is the only animal welfare organization in the area that actually accepts Pit Bulls (even if it is so they can put them down 5 days later). I live in a very rural area and this organization has the only 2 shelters in the Valley. Add to that that the animal cruelty laws are very lax, and poorly enforced. Sigh, I rant like you deedeesmom pretty much every day.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:15 pm

Sending him good thoughts for a speedy healing. Poor boy. :(

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:30 am

Is this a private animal rescue organization?

There is likely a governmental (state/county/city) organization charged with the enforcement of animal control and animal welfare laws. Who do you report animal bites to? That's probably the organization you're looking for. They can provide you with information regarding shelters' legal obligations to provide veterinary care for the animals there.

I can understand a shelter not performing surgery or providing care beyond minimal/stabilizing care, especially if an animal is still during its legal hold period and is not yet the state/county/city property. Minimal care usually means pain relief, bandaging, and antibiotics while the animal is on stray hold, and often results in humane euthanasia when the hold is up, even if the condition is one that you or I as private pet owners would choose to treat. A shelter isn't generally going to spring for major wound repair, orthopedic surgery, etc. but does need to be sure the animal is stable and not suffering.

If there's a large open wound and major amounts of tissue and bone missing, then some tape or NuSkin won't fix that. It probably needs to be gauzed, with a bandage changed as needed, and wrapped.

When is this dog's hold up? How long does she have to live like this?

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:48 am

:hug: thank you for doing what you can.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:47 am

heartbullies wrote:Is this a private animal rescue organization?

There is likely a governmental (state/county/city) organization charged with the enforcement of animal control and animal welfare laws. Who do you report animal bites to? That's probably the organization you're looking for. They can provide you with information regarding shelters' legal obligations to provide veterinary care for the animals there.

I can understand a shelter not performing surgery or providing care beyond minimal/stabilizing care, especially if an animal is still during its legal hold period and is not yet the state/county/city property. Minimal care usually means pain relief, bandaging, and antibiotics while the animal is on stray hold, and often results in humane euthanasia when the hold is up, even if the condition is one that you or I as private pet owners would choose to treat. A shelter isn't generally going to spring for major wound repair, orthopedic surgery, etc. but does need to be sure the animal is stable and not suffering.

If there's a large open wound and major amounts of tissue and bone missing, then some tape or NuSkin won't fix that. It probably needs to be gauzed, with a bandage changed as needed, and wrapped.

When is this dog's hold up? How long does she have to live like this?

Thanks, I'll check up on that!
I don't expect them to preform surgery for Ted, I just want his tail not to bleed so much and for him to be comfortable. He has till Friday, and I would just like for him to be content for at least a little part of his life.

Return to “Health Issues”