How To Make "RED" Bowel Movement?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BIGBOI
Newborn Bully

How To Make "RED" Bowel Movement?

Postby BIGBOI » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:34 pm

Red ate one of my girls sandals and he hasent eatin or drank anything in two days. I tried the peroxide trick and some of it came up, but I don't think that was all of it. He hasen't pooped in two days either. I just got home from the vet and they gave me this furball stuff and said give this to him. I gave it to him and he threw it up. Oh yeah he has been throwing up constantly for two days as well. I really need your guys help. I don't have money for x-rays and surgerys. Please anyone?? Thanks

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:35 pm

Um. He's going to need surgery and if it's not too late already, get him in there NOW - apply for Care Credit if nothing else.
It could be too late already. It sounds like an obstruction. Giving him a laxative will make it worse.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:36 pm

The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF

Postby The Teflon Don » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:37 pm

Definitely sounds like an obstruction... :sad:

BIGBOI
Newborn Bully

Postby BIGBOI » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:40 pm

There must be something else I can do.

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:42 pm

Probably not. If he won't vomit it up or pass it, surgery is really your only other option. An obstruction is a serious problem, and if your dog does not pass the sandal, or vomit it up, he will die from it being stuck in his digestive tract.
Last edited by rgyoung777 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF

Postby The Teflon Don » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:42 pm

BIGBOI wrote:There must be something else I can do.

Not that I know of...

If I were you I would apply for the Care Credit, as msvette2u suggested, and get that dog to the Vet ASAP...

BIGBOI
Newborn Bully

Postby BIGBOI » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm

He didn't eat the entire sandal though. Just the straps and he is now drinkin water.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:53 pm

We had a dog when we lived in Alaska - we left him at my bro-in-laws when we left for Michigan. The dog ate part of a toy and died within days from the obstruction.
It's your dog. From your first post, it sounded very dire. If he's vomiting for 2 days and has not eaten for that long and continues that way, he WILL die.

Cheshirekatt
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Cheshirekatt » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:53 pm

Loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with a history of dietary indiscretion usually equal obstruction. He needs barium and xrays to figure out what going on and then most likely surgery or endoscopy.

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:56 pm

BIGBOI wrote:He didn't eat the entire sandal though. Just the straps and he is now drinkin water.

If he is not pooping, is vomiting constantly, and is not eating, he needs to see a vet. Those are signs of an obstruction. It's a serious problem, even if all he ate were the straps of the sandals.

If you want to wait it out some more, that's your prerogative. The longer you wait with an obstruction, the worse the complications can be. Your dog might be fine, but he also might be getting worse. Drinking water is a good sign, but if he doesn't hold it down, eat food, or pass the pieces of sandal that he ate, he is not going to get better.

If my dog was exhibiting the symptoms yours is for as many days as yours has been, I'd take her to the vet for x-rays, and I would find a way to come up with the money for surgery if needed.

Also, in the future, you might want to consider putting some money aside for emergencies like this so that you can do something if you need to. I need to do the same thing, honestly.

BIGBOI
Newborn Bully

Postby BIGBOI » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:04 pm

thanx for al the input guys

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:08 pm

:frown:
I wouldn;t give him anything to try and make him poop, if that sandle strap is stuck in there your going to cause him even more damage and tremendous pain.
Positive thoughts/prayers, for your boy Red, coming from me.

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:28 pm

BIGBOI wrote:He didn't eat the entire sandal though. Just the straps and he is now drinkin water.

Unfortunately, rationalizing not going to the vet is not going to help. Best case scenario, you go to the vet and everything is well and it was just a scare, worst case, you don't go to the vet and your does dies from a bowel obstruction. I know which I would choose if it were one of my girls.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:34 pm

Go to the vet ASAP! My female Husky went through an obstruction before and I can guarantee you the faster you go to the vet the cheaper it will be. Stop the "home remedies" and get that dog some medical care. If it hasn't eaten or pooped in two days there is a problem obviously.

Return to “Health Issues”