How do I find a good vet?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Venomous
Matured Bully

How do I find a good vet?

Postby Venomous » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:10 am

I am getting ready to adopt a pit puppy, meeting a girl this weekend for a play date with the dog we have in the house now.

I was just wondering is there a list of vets in my area that are good with pits and other bully breeds? Has this topic been brought up and I just can't find the thread yet? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Patrick

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 am

Ohhh... well, your a bit farther west then me so I don't think you will want to come out here for my vet, lol. Let me contact someone I know in that area to see what she says.

Venomous
Matured Bully

Postby Venomous » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:20 am

Where do you live? If there is no one in my area.. i dont mind a ride. Heck I come to royal oak every weekend usually to go out with friends. Where in SE Michigan R u?

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:22 am

Venomous wrote:Where do you live? If there is no one in my area.. i dont mind a ride. Heck I come to royal oak every weekend usually to go out with friends. Where in SE Michigan R u?

My vet is in Clinton Township... 17 and Garfield. I know some one in Pontiac with am staffs tho, so let me see if I can get her.

Venomous
Matured Bully

Postby Venomous » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:23 am

cool! Thanks for your help.

And, that avatar picture is awesome!!! Is he hanging from something you have or is he jumping? How much does he weigh? Or is it a she?

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:25 am

Venomous wrote:cool! Thanks for your help.

And, that avatar picture is awesome!!! Is he hanging from something you have or is he jumping? How much does he weigh? Or is it a she?

'welcome!

and thank you for your compliment. It is a she, She is about 52lbs, and she is jumping to get a treat out of her daddy's hand, lol. She can get higher, but that was all that was required of her that day! ;)

SueN
Matured Bully

Postby SueN » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:30 am

My vet is in Bloomfield Township his name is Dr. Baird and he is at Bloomfield Animal Hospital. He prices are fair and he is not biased to the breed at all. They love Harley and have even said if I needed to board him they would make room for him. He is off of Telegraph near Orchard Lake Road.

1669 S. Telegraph. 1-248-334-0909.

I am extremely particular when it comes to who handles my dog so he comes highly recommended.

Venomous
Matured Bully

Postby Venomous » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:35 am

SueN, thanks so much. After I get a puppy I will give him a call. That's not too far away as I'm at Union Lake Rd and Cooley Lake Rd.

Anyone else have other vets? Not sayin hers isn't good, but I like options :thumbsup:

Starbux1
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Re: How do I find a good vet?

Postby Starbux1 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:05 pm

Venomous wrote:I am getting ready to adopt a pit puppy......Patrick

THANK YOU FOR ADOPTING!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:30 pm

Take a tour!! Meet the vets! Ask the following questions...

-is the facility clean and well lit?
-do they have dedicated surgery rooms?
-do they encourage the 3 year vaccination policy?
-do they educate on socialization, deworming, heartworm, microchipping??
-is the exam thorough?
-are you comfortable with your Dr. and can you communicate clearly with them?

Venomous
Matured Bully

Re: How do I find a good vet?

Postby Venomous » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:57 am

Starbux1 wrote:
Venomous wrote:I am getting ready to adopt a pit puppy......Patrick

THANK YOU FOR ADOPTING!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I haven't addopted yet... hopefully everything goes well this weekend. I'm meeting a puppy with my dog for a playdate at a big field down the street to see how they get along :)

Foxwood
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxwood » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:02 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Take a tour!! Meet the vets! Ask the following questions...

-is the facility clean and well lit?
-do they have dedicated surgery rooms?
-do they encourage the 3 year vaccination policy?
-do they educate on socialization, deworming, heartworm, microchipping??
-is the exam thorough?
-are you comfortable with your Dr. and can you communicate clearly with them?

Take the tour on the spot. Don't call ahead. I work at a vet's office, and that is one(of many) things that new clients say stands out about us. We keep the hospital clean, and always welcome anyone at any time to a tour.

Ask if the doctor(s) has anything they concentrate on. This way you wont have to be referred out if there are problems.

Another good thing to look for is if the hospital is AAHA accredited.

I just want to say this. I've been working at my vet's office, and it is considered one of the best vets in this area(central va). Each vet has a different concentration, and we get referrals from all over this region. But we get a LOT more referrals from other animals hospitals because they can only treat to a certain point. The clients always end up staying =)

It is one of the more expensive hospitals. But I will tell you that it's not always profitable to the hospital owners...they do things right and put the animals and hospital before their pockets.

Good luck =)

Venomous
Matured Bully

Postby Venomous » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:07 am

Thanks Foxwood!! :) I will try and hit some this week before he comes.

Venomous
Matured Bully

Postby Venomous » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:30 pm

SueN wrote:My vet is in Bloomfield Township his name is Dr. Baird and he is at Bloomfield Animal Hospital. He prices are fair and he is not biased to the breed at all. They love Harley and have even said if I needed to board him they would make room for him. He is off of Telegraph near Orchard Lake Road.

1669 S. Telegraph. 1-248-334-0909.

I am extremely particular when it comes to who handles my dog so he comes highly recommended.

SueN.... went and saw Dr. Baird today. Thank you so much! His staff and him were very kind and loved my little Odie. They asked me who recommended me to them, but I couldn't tell them a name. I just said a woman named Sue on this board said she brings her pits here. Either way, Dr. Baird was very gentle and very kind. I will for sure be going there from now on... THanks again!!

Patrick

Return to “Health Issues”