time to switch foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
u-turn
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

time to switch foods

Postby u-turn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:53 am

OK, im down to about 1 week and a half of diamond natual, that i have been feeding my pup and im looking to start the process of switching to a better brand food.

my problem is after searching the form, im still a little confused on what is the best.

heres my choices, i have narrowed the list to. please help me figure out whats best and why .. im open to other choices also

1st .Canidae

2nd.TimberWolf Organics

3rd.EVO

4th. Taste of the Wild

5th. Pinnacle Peak Protein Formula

thanks in advance

The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF

Postby The Teflon Don » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:55 am

u-turn
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby u-turn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:09 am

yes and thank you but from other threads i have read ,timberwolf is not what it once was but others swear by it. thus leaving me confused

but thank you for your help

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby ShadowWolf » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:10 am

You should add Blue Buffalo to the list. Their Wilderness is nice. :)

Flex
Newborn Bully

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:34 pm

There are so many choices it can get over whelming.

I am starting to try Flex out on Wellness Core and he seems to like it a lot.
I tried him on Orijen but I think it makes him a bit itchy.
Canidae seems like a good bang for your buck.

What ever you end up trying, remember to try and make the transition gradual.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:07 pm

Flex wrote:There are so many choices it can get over whelming.

i can totally relate!

u-turn
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby u-turn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:15 pm

thank you for your replys. i think im going to try out Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula. i figure the first 8 out of ten ingredients i would eat lol .

i hate i waited so long to try to figure out what to get.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:09 pm

I'm really happy with Diamond Naturals when I feed it. If it works for you don't feel that you have to switch just because of the price tag. It's actually a very solid food. How old is your dog? If he's still a pup I wouldn't feed Taste of the Wild, there's too much calcium in it for growing puppies.

usurpers26
Matured Bully

Postby usurpers26 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:54 am

I switched from TW to Taste of the Wild - so far, so good! And no more spitting up/reflux yet either.

u-turn wrote:thank you for your replys. i think im going to try out Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula. i figure the first 8 out of ten ingredients i would eat lol .

i hate i waited so long to try to figure out what to get.

Venomous
Matured Bully

Postby Venomous » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:07 am

I am hopefully picking up a puppy next weekend. I have a playdate setup for this sunday with the puppy and the dog that is currently in my home (roommates pit mix). I have read and read and read all about the food to feed them and am thoroughly confused. From what I can gather, it seems as far as regular dogfood (not the BARF method) everyone likes Timberwolf. Then I'm reading this thread and a few others and it seems that TW's quality is not what it once was.

So... I guess my question is, for a 10 week old puppy, what do I start him on??? LOL I'm so confused! :po:

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:43 pm

i would switch the timberwolf out with natures variety if you can get it in your area. Definantly one of the best foods out IMHO. Ive yet to try the taste of the wild, so might have to rotate that in once.

Blue buffalo isnt worth the money. Your better off with NV.

StarrLightning
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby StarrLightning » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:54 pm

Navaeh has been on a few foods... I started her on crappy Maxx Nutrition, then we went to Canidae - she did fine on the Canidae but got bored with it towards the end of the bag, switched her to Timberwolf - she did great with Timberwolf - but with buying a house it's no longer in our budget, so now both her and Gauge eat Diamond Naturals. They do great on it. they go through less than 40 lbs/month

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:57 pm

StarrLightning wrote:Navaeh has been on a few foods... I started her on crappy Maxx Nutrition, then we went to Canidae - she did fine on the Canidae but got bored with it towards the end of the bag, switched her to Timberwolf - she did great with Timberwolf - but with buying a house it's no longer in our budget, so now both her and Gauge eat Diamond Naturals. They do great on it. they go through less than 40 lbs/month

lol. I always forget your dog is named Nevaeh as well. We, too, are feeding diamond right now simply because we cant afford better. I was happy with it at first, but now Nevaehs skin is looking really bad, so im switching back to NV salmon meal the next bag. Tommy is doing great on it, but the bitch just doesnt look good. :frown:

Venomous
Matured Bully

Postby Venomous » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:16 pm

How much do these bags of food cost you guys? I keep reading, its not in our budget. Kinda scary

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:20 pm

Which food? If you are thinking of switching to NV, I can PM you a link where you can find a coupon for a free 5lb bag of food if you buy a bag. ;) I don't find NV much more expensive than other food.

Return to “Health Issues”