time to switch foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:22 pm

Venomous wrote:How much do these bags of food cost you guys? I keep reading, its not in our budget. Kinda scary

Depends what you are talking about.

The regular diamond which is what im feeding now is 25 bucks for 40#s, and is a great budget food. In fact, id keep them on it if nevaeh's skin wasnt looking horrible.

If you want to step up into premium foods, like Timberwolf, or NV, they are about 30 bucks for 20#s, and close to 50 (tw is over 50) for 40#s.

Generally you will feed less, but dont assume you will. My dogs eat just as much on NV and TW, as they do on Diamond.

What exactly WOULD your budget be for say..a month? And how much do your dogs eat in a month? If you give us that, we might be able to give you a better idea of a "good" food for your price.

Venomous
Matured Bully

Postby Venomous » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:26 pm

IamaDick wrote:What exactly WOULD your budget be for say..a month? And how much do your dogs eat in a month? If you give us that, we might be able to give you a better idea of a "good" food for your price.

Well, I don't have a dog yet. I am hopefully adopting one next week. So, I am unsure of where to start. I dont mind the cost, $50 for a 40lb bag isn't bad if it's worth it. Yet, he is a 10 week old puppy. Is there a different food for puppies vs. adults with say, the Timberwolf? I've been looking on their website and it doesnt seem like there is

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:28 pm

Oh, ok. "Your getting a pup. Well then feeding a premium food wont be as expensive until a few months later. I would imagine 40#s will last you close to a month. It lasts me just over 2 weeks for 2 dogs.

TW is a "all-life-stages) food, so you can feed it at any point in their life. Same with NV. Both are great foods, NV is a little easier to find in the "real-world" and is atleast as good, if not better then TW IMHO.

Venomous
Matured Bully

Postby Venomous » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:30 pm

I found a place that sell TW kinda local, only about a 20 minute drive, and it's on the side of town where I usually frequent on the weekends to go to bars. So... if everything works out, I will start with the TW and see what happens....

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:32 pm

Last time I bought it I paid 33$ for a 35lbs bag of Natural Balance, but I value shopped and found a decent priced place... Petco asks for 41$ for the same size. NB isn't as high quality as the other foods mentioned here, but my dogs do well on it, and the quality isn't bad, just not as high. a 35lbs bag of food last my two 51-52lbs girls (one high energy one low) a month. Look around online, most on line prices (pre shipping) are going to be the average price of the food. With shopping around you can find deals tho.

Good luck!

Venomous
Matured Bully

Postby Venomous » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:38 pm

thanks everyone for the input...

deedeesmom... where do you shop at? PETCO only? I found a store in Birmingham that sells the Timberwolf. I imagine if they sell that, they sell other brands that everyone is talking about too..

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:05 pm

Venomous wrote:thanks everyone for the input...

deedeesmom... where do you shop at? PETCO only? I found a store in Birmingham that sells the Timberwolf. I imagine if they sell that, they sell other brands that everyone is talking about too..

I shop at K-9 specialties in Warren, 12 and Mound area. I've heard of another place tho that sound decent price wise, so I'm gonna check prices against each other next time I need food. I imagine this place carries Timberwolf as well, I'll check and get a price if you want. I use Natural Balance not so much cause I can't afford better tho, but because it seems to be the best bang for the buck so to speak. I could pay for Timberwolf, or Innova, but those really don't sound like they are THAT much better then Natural Balance, at least not enough to substantiate the big difference in price.

Venomous
Matured Bully

Postby Venomous » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:32 pm

deedeesmom wrote:I shop at K-9 specialties in Warren, 12 and Mound area. I've heard of another place tho that sound decent price wise, so I'm gonna check prices against each other next time I need food. I imagine this place carries Timberwolf as well, I'll check and get a price if you want. I use Natural Balance not so much cause I can't afford better tho, but because it seems to be the best bang for the buck so to speak. I could pay for Timberwolf, or Innova, but those really don't sound like they are THAT much better then Natural Balance, at least not enough to substantiate the big difference in price.

Yes, please let me know what you find out.

Wesley
Adolescent Bully

Postby Wesley » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:48 pm

With Kaia, she started out when I got her with Beneful...yuk! She then went onto Nutromax puppy formula, and again, I wouldn't feed this to her ever again. Then she went to Canidae, and I have noticed a big difference her coat and her stools. She does really well on it and when I was switching her over, she loved how it tasted and would pick around the nutro. I think it's the best bang for the buck, and they have a buy so many and get one free program too. I don't think I'll be switching her for a while since she still loves it.

u-turn
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby u-turn » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:30 pm

has anyone tried MERRICK (puppy plate)

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (Not Less Than) 28.0%
Crude Fat (Not Less Than) 14.0%
Crude Fiber (Not More Than) 3.5%
Moisture (Not More Than) 10.0%

Calorie Content:
3480 kcal/kg (calculated) – One pound provides 1579 kcal of metabolizable energy (calculated). One cup (100 grams) provides 362 calories (Caloric content calculated using Modified Atwater Method)

Ingredients:
Organic Chicken, Turkey Meal, Oatmeal, Duck, Chicken Meal, Whole Barley, Whole Brown Rice, Flax Seed, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Natural Vitamin E and Ascorbic Acid, a source of Vitamin C), Freeze Dried Sweet Potatoes, Freeze Dried Carrots, Freeze Dried Peas, Natural Dried Chicken Liver, Freeze Dried Apples, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Lysine, Calcium Carbonate, Guar Gum, Sea Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Whole Blueberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Whole Garlic, Dried Chicken, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Natural Celery Flavor, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Natural Color (tumeric), Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

Brad-and-Brodix
Newborn Bully

Postby Brad-and-Brodix » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:58 pm

u-turn wrote:has anyone tried MERRICK (puppy plate)

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (Not Less Than) 28.0%
Crude Fat (Not Less Than) 14.0%
Crude Fiber (Not More Than) 3.5%
Moisture (Not More Than) 10.0%

Calorie Content:
3480 kcal/kg (calculated) – One pound provides 1579 kcal of metabolizable energy (calculated). One cup (100 grams) provides 362 calories (Caloric content calculated using Modified Atwater Method)

Ingredients:
Organic Chicken, Turkey Meal, Oatmeal, Duck, Chicken Meal, Whole Barley, Whole Brown Rice, Flax Seed, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Natural Vitamin E and Ascorbic Acid, a source of Vitamin C), Freeze Dried Sweet Potatoes, Freeze Dried Carrots, Freeze Dried Peas, Natural Dried Chicken Liver, Freeze Dried Apples, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Lysine, Calcium Carbonate, Guar Gum, Sea Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Whole Blueberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Whole Garlic, Dried Chicken, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Natural Celery Flavor, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Natural Color (tumeric), Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

I've never heard of it around here, but the ingrediants look fairly well.
Brodix is on his 3rd bag of Blue Buffalo puppy, and still loves it !!! He looks great too. 7 months and right at 60 pds. I'll try to get some new pics up soon. :peace:

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:59 pm

Jake is being fed NV and he is doing great! I fed Logan the same thing when he was a pup.

Return to “Health Issues”