looking at possible tplo for tucker

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BabyReba

looking at possible tplo for tucker

Postby BabyReba » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:56 am

after months of having intermittent lameness in one of his rear legs, and a vet who kept telling me there were no signs of serious problems that couldn't be fixed with resting him, i finally took tucker to another doc who is certain he has a torn acl in one knee.

x-rays to come on feb. 5, after which we'll have a definite diagnosis and figure out which surgery might be best for him.

vet said he's probably thinking we'll end up with tplo since we've been back and forth with resting and in the meantime, the tear has probably built up some scar tissue.

i guess we don't have to do surgery if we don't want to--we can try to manage the injury and keep his activity down and give him pain reliever when it flairs up. but i just don't see that as a viable option--keeping his activity down seems unfair. so i'm thinking it'll be surgery.

more answers feb. 5. i'm sad for tucker, he has to remain inactive till we figure this out, then he'll have surgery, and he'll have to be on crate rest/inactivity while he recovers too. poor dog, he's so active on his own that he tears around the yard in circles by himself as soon as he gets outside. now he's not allowed to do that till we fix him. :frown:

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:09 am

Was a TPLO the only option? Why not the extra-capsular procedure? (assuming she doesn't have a steep tibial slope) This is what Falon had done on both of her legs and she has recovered 110%. Her legs are more stable than ever and she moves and jumps better too. (It's also cheaper)

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:12 am

Poor Tucker. I hope it all goes as smoothly as possible.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:15 am

i went through the same thing with luce for eight freaking months before i finally ended up with a surgeon who could tell me without question that she had a partially torn cruciate in her right knee. she was on-again-off-again lame. we'd crate rest her, she'd get better. then she'd get worse. but she never had any cranial drawer in her knee.

we did the extra-capsular repair for her, and she did great. she'll be six months post-op at the beginning of february and i have no regrets with my decision at this point. it's so nice to have a dog who isn't lame anymore.

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:33 am

TPLO has by far the highest long term success rate for active dogs and medium to large breed dogs.

My Tovah has had TPLO done on both her knee's. Surgery went wonderful and recovery was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Keeping her from jumping once the cast was off was my biggest challenge. One leg was done during the winter so I did some of her rehab on a treadmill.

Tovah shows no signs of pain. Its been about a year since her second knee. I am even considering having her do some agility now. We do Rally with her and she is just a little ball of muscle and energy.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:53 am

Poor tucker! Whatever you decide, fingers crossed for a complete recovery.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:49 am

Oh, poor Tucker. Martin had Bi-Lateral Extra-Capsular repair in July. It was well worth it.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:13 pm

thanks for the reassuring words . . . i had really been hoping the rest cure would do the trick but after all this time, it's obviously not gonna do it.

the vet we went to see does the extra-capsular himself, but he said for tucker he'd probably refer us to a surgeon for tplo instead. he said since tuck is very young, very active, and he's probably had the tear for a while so the tplo might be better for him.

the extracapsular is not out of the question, and we are waiting to do xrays before we decide for certain. so who knows, maybe in the end we'll end up with the less invasive surgery.

i just hope it's not too stressful for tucker, whatever we end up doing.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:11 pm

I'm sorry for poor little Tucker (and you).

Lanolar
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby Lanolar » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:50 pm

BabyReba wrote:thanks for the reassuring words . . . i had really been hoping the rest cure would do the trick but after all this time, it's obviously not gonna do it.

the vet we went to see does the extra-capsular himself, but he said for tucker he'd probably refer us to a surgeon for tplo instead. he said since tuck is very young, very active, and he's probably had the tear for a while so the tplo might be better for him.

the extracapsular is not out of the question, and we are waiting to do xrays before we decide for certain. so who knows, maybe in the end we'll end up with the less invasive surgery.

i just hope it's not too stressful for tucker, whatever we end up doing.

Best of luck to you, for me the TPLO was without a doubt the better option. Tovah was young and very active. Plus the last thing I wanted to end up doing was to have TWO surgeries.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:10 pm

Lanolar wrote:TPLO has by far the highest long term success rate for active dogs and medium to large breed dogs.

My Tovah has had TPLO done on both her knee's. Surgery went wonderful and recovery was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Keeping her from jumping once the cast was off was my biggest challenge. One leg was done during the winter so I did some of her rehab on a treadmill.

Tovah shows no signs of pain. Its been about a year since her second knee. I am even considering having her do some agility now. We do Rally with her and she is just a little ball of muscle and energy.

Dogs who don't have a steep tibial slope will recover just as well from the extra-capsular method. Falon's x-rays showed that her slope was normal so leveling the bone wasn't necessary. It all depends on the dog! :)

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:11 pm

I meant to say that dogs w/ a normal slope have just as high of a success rate w/ the extra-capsular method (even being active, etc).

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:59 pm

Oh, no!

Hopefully after keeping him rested and healing, you won't have to do that anymore - which means after a tough time, his quality of life will improve a lot.

Best wishes - let me know if I can help at all! If you feel lost with just Doc and Reba, and need to borrow a spare high-energy dog, for example... lol

packopits
Newborn Bully

Postby packopits » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:10 pm

Lanolar wrote:TPLO has by far the highest long term success rate for active dogs and medium to large breed dogs.

Sydney has had one of each and has done equally as well on both the traditional and the TPLO. The TPLO was actually easier for her to recover from, less down time than the traditional repair.
amanda

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:21 pm

that really sucks all around.

Return to “Health Issues”