Nails

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Nails

Postby pjrocco » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:00 am

Why do my dogs nails look like this? They have pretty much always been like this and they don't seem to bother him. Should I be worried, or is this the norm?

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:06 am

What exactly do you think is wrong with them? I don't see anything out of the norm... maybe a little long for my taste, but they're not talons by any means!

If you're talking about that reddish colouration, I see that on a lot of dog's nails I trim.

twinkie05
Newborn Bully

Nails

Postby twinkie05 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:58 am

I am curious about the toe nails too. That color pattern has appeared of all sudden on two of pittie's nail and the vet didn't know what caused it. Since the nails changed color like that they seem more sensitive. A tech I work with said it could be a fungus

pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pjrocco » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:46 pm

I'm talking about the coloration of them. It appears they are bleeding or have bled inside of the nail. I have had a couple people tell me it's normal, but I wanted to make sure.

Thank for the input.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:50 pm

Molly has the same thing on her nails but it is due from having yeast infections. Even though she doesn't have an infection now, her nails stay that colour.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:23 pm

Some of Oscar's white nails do that (possibly some of his black ones, too, but who can tell?)

They don't cause him any pain to walk or run or jump or climb, and they aren't at all tender to the touch, so I've assumed it was a mild bruising from lack-of-grace moments.

Barron
Newborn Bully

Postby Barron » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:26 pm

My new pups nails are like that too.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:31 pm

My understanding was that discoloration like that was from yeast. The couple of times this has happened to my dog's nail a week or so of wiping them down with apple cider vinegar (organic with the "mother", Braggs is a widely available) has taken care of it.

sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Postby sarallyn » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:53 pm

Gracie has a few like that. the vet didn't say anything after they clipped her nails, so I'm not too worried.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:28 pm

I've heard it's from yeast too.
I know that dogs who spend alot of time in the shelter get that way, I'm assuming from repeated dampness and cleaning of their cages.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:25 pm

The staining of the nails is porphyrin, a pigment found in saliva. Its a sign that your pup may be licking her feet when you aren't looking. She may have a low grade bacterial or yeast infection. You could try soaking her feet in a 1:1 mixture of apple cider vinegar and water 2-3 times per week and see if that doesn't make a difference. If you don't notice her bothering her feet, then she probably doesn't need to see a vet. If she DOES chew her feet, then she needs to see a vet. A normal dog does not chew or lick their feet.

pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pjrocco » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:03 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:The staining of the nails is porphyrin, a pigment found in saliva. Its a sign that your pup may be licking her feet when you aren't looking. She may have a low grade bacterial or yeast infection. You could try soaking her feet in a 1:1 mixture of apple cider vinegar and water 2-3 times per week and see if that doesn't make a difference. If you don't notice her bothering her feet, then she probably doesn't need to see a vet. If she DOES chew her feet, then she needs to see a vet. A normal dog does not chew or lick their feet.

The only time I see him licking his feet is when he comes in from outside and his feet are wet, Other than that, he rarely or never licks his feet.

I'll give the vinegar/water trick a try and see what happens. Thanks for the input all!

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:43 pm

Lexus' feet look just like that. I soak them weekly in warm vinegar water before her bath. This week, I noticed she had quite a bit of gunk inside of the nail bed, and two looked infected and swollen so I took her to the vet yesterday, he told me to soak her feet twice a week in epsom salt instead.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:49 pm

pjrocco wrote:
The only time I see him licking his feet is when he comes in from outside and his feet are wet, Other than that, he rarely or never licks his feet.

I'll give the vinegar/water trick a try and see what happens. Thanks for the input all!

It could just be a recent buildup according to the seasonal weather.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:55 pm

Maddie's look like that too

Return to “Health Issues”