Innova Evo

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Romanwild

Postby Romanwild » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:47 pm

I hear this kind of stuff all the time.

What I would like to hear is someone who has fed their dogs raw or lotsa protein over the years and lose their dogs to kidney failure. I go to a lot of boards and it's always second hand info or anectdotel.

Personaly, I wouldn't bother mixing EVO with other dog foods. That defeats the purpose of no grains. If you want more protein in your dogs diet then give them some real meat.

As for making them drink more water...how the hell do you do that?!
My dog has fresh water all day and night. Any time he wants it.

Also, when the percentage of protein is figured out for a kibble it's in it's wet form. It does lose it's moisture in the manufacturing process so the 42% that's listed is not accurate, it's probably much less.

Has anyone looked at a dogs teeth? They are designed to rip flesh. When is the last time you saw a wolf eating a ear of corn or graze in a wheat feild? There are people that will disagree with me but domestic dogs have not changed much from their wolf brothers.

Sorry for being all over the place with my post. Kind of a stream of conscience reply.

mnp13

Postby mnp13 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:33 am

Ruby just went to 100% EVO, from half and half with Canadae.

She eats like she's been starved for DAYS. This morning one piece of EVO ended up in her water dish. She kept stickeing her nose in trying to fish it out. She was wet up to her eyes before she got it... for ONE piece of kibble.

She gets 2 cups a day, just like the other foods.

As for the 'protein is hard on the kidneys' it's not 'medical fact' and never has been.

How do you get your dog to drink more water? It's easy, mix some milk in. When Ruby ate the ibuprophen last summer I got her to drink half a gallon of water by putting about a cup of milk in it. I wouldn't recommend that for all the time, but if you need to get water into them, it's a good easy way.

Michelle

Romanwild

Postby Romanwild » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:01 am

mnp13 wrote:As for the 'protein is hard on the kidneys' it's not 'medical fact' and never has been.

How do you get your dog to drink more water? It's easy, mix some milk in. When Ruby ate the ibuprophen last summer I got her to drink half a gallon of water by putting about a cup of milk in it. I wouldn't recommend that for all the time, but if you need to get water into them, it's a good easy way.

Michelle

Cool water trick. I'll remember that!

You're right about the protein. Everytime some anti protein person speaks up I ask for medical proof and they can never come up with it.

waterpoloman

Postby waterpoloman » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:18 am

I was wondering if the 43% protein is corect. I went to there web site and got the protein. I might just not understand and thats ok too.

protein 24%
fat 14%
fiber 3%
moisture 9.5%

i guess i am confused

Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:10 pm

ok now i am confused, i just switched the dogs to Timberwolf organic elk and they are getting fed 2x a day.. i am going to do dry kibble in the am and natures variety raw in the pm once i get them used to it.. are you all saying the high protein i should worry about with kidneys??

Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:14 pm

Timberwolf organics:
PROTEIN: 26%
FAT: 16%
FIBER: 3.5%
MOISTURE: 10%

is 26% protein ok?

Romanwild

Postby Romanwild » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:54 pm

I don't know if I'm causeing the confusion or not.

I made a comment about protein being weighed before it's turned into kibble. In other words, 42% or whatever number it says on the package is always going to be less then you think because of the loss of water weight when turned into kibble.

Romanwild

Postby Romanwild » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:02 pm

Maryellen wrote:Timberwolf organics:
PROTEIN: 26%
FAT: 16%
FIBER: 3.5%
MOISTURE: 10%

is 26% protein ok?

It looks O.K. to me. I looked it up here (at the bottom of the page):

http://www.doberdogs.com/foodcht3s-u.html

That site is wonderful for not only comparing foods but learning how to read labels and know what they mean. Read the tutorial. It's made by an individual that doesn't manufacture food. I would assume unbiased info.

Timberwolf looks as good as any of the other "good" brands out there. I would call it high quality. The reason I like EVO is because it's high quality with out the grains. I just don't like grains for my dog. I can't see the nutritional benefit. It seems to only be filler. Which is evident when they poop. I think most grain goes in one end and out the other.

mnp13

Postby mnp13 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:20 pm

Ruby just finished her first bag of EVO.

Her breath is better than on the Canadae (like something died a few days ago instead of last week). Her coat is great, much smaller poop, average eye boogers, a little more energy - but that's a good thing for Ruby.

She seems to be drinking more water than she used to, but I think that's ok.

Michelle

Romanwild

Postby Romanwild » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:27 pm

mnp13 wrote:Ruby just finished her first bag of EVO.

Her breath is better than on the Canadae (like something died a few days ago instead of last week). Her coat is great, much smaller poop, average eye boogers, a little more energy - but that's a good thing for Ruby.

She seems to be drinking more water than she used to, but I think that's ok.

Michelle

Drinking more water makes sense since it's higher in protein. They will need more water.

Nice breath is always a plus. :))

nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nessa » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:56 pm

Kirby and Hoover finished their first bag of EVO and have started their second. I got the big 'un this time. Kirby's coat and skin are doing very well and I think Hoover's skin may be improving. I'm happy with it so far. Definitly smaller poops, and less doggy smell. The SO hasn't commented in weeks about the bed smelling like dog...... :angel: :dunno:
I've found a place here that sells canidae, so if this, for whatever reason doesnt work, I've got a back up plan.

abman
Matured Bully

Postby abman » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:20 pm

In my opinion, i would rather feed 1 cup of a high protein/fat food along with meats and other home cooked instead of feeding only 4 to 5 cups of a lower protein/fat food and no extras.

Feeding less of a more concentrated kibble/along with other things seems to be easier on a dogs system.

For those feeding evo who are worried about the protein content, you can always add foods to the diet that have good water amounts.

I used to work at a vet as a kennel assistant and 99% of the time, the dogs who had all the kidney problems and other organ problems were fed kibbles like science diet with low protein/fat amounts with high amounts of grains. The dogs that were fed higher protein fat kibbles along with veggies and sometimes meat, almost never had major health problems.

That told me that

1)low protein diets wont protect healthy organs any better than the higher ones if a garbage diet is fed(the exception is if the dogs organs are already stressed). That basically makes the protein levels irrelevant for the most part.

2)its always good to add other things besides just kibble to the diet.

Higher protein levels do require more water intake. I drank one of those nasty atkins shake one time and was very thirsty for a few hours afterwards due to the protein. All i needed was more water.

mnp13

Postby mnp13 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:34 pm

Ruby always has a full bowl of water available (except in her crate) so she regualtes her own intake. If she starts leaking again I will have to re-evaluate her food but until then I'm happy with the EVO.

Michelle

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:17 pm

We are starting to use it and move Stockey over from wellness. Our Vet seemed to like it when he read some things on it and what we will do is see how Stockey does on it. I will say this, he LOVES the taste of it.

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:46 pm

Oh, I wanted to mention. My vet said that in a dog with healthy kidneys that high protein did NOT cause problems. If problems with the kidneysappear then the protein needs to be reduced.
He said his experence has been that different dogs do well on different things and that whateve one feeds you need to pay attention to how your dog does on it.
So I will pay attention and see how it goes.

Return to “Health Issues”