How much should I feed?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

How much should I feed?

Postby raiyo » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:22 am

I was never great on determining on how much food to give to the dogs. Kozmo could eat a whole lot. I'm feeding him Wellness and they recommend me to feed 2.5-3.5 cups. Does that mean per meal or per day? I've been feeding him 4 cups per day, 2 cups each time. Should I feed him till he doesn't want to eat anymore, or should I stay inside the recommendation suggested? Since he is still a puppy, is it better to feed him more (3.5 cups) now so he can have more nutrients for him to grow. Or should I feed him 2.5 cups so he doesn't get huge?

Thx in advance.
raiyo

Postby Justice82003 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:44 am

They always put how much you should use for the whole day. I would try 3 1/2 and if he starts getting porky than cut it back a little. :))

Joe
Justice82003

Postby kazuo » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:26 pm

You probably know this already, but just wanted to point out a Wellness cup is 4 ounces instead of the normal 8.
kazuo
Site Admin

Postby raiyo » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:04 pm

Justice82003 wrote:They always put how much you should use for the whole day. I would try 3 1/2 and if he starts getting porky than cut it back a little. :))

Joe

Thx, I was alittle confused on that.

kazuo wrote:You probably know this already, but just wanted to point out a Wellness cup is 4 ounces instead of the normal 8.

You losted me there, Wellness cup? They even make cups too? I'm just using a measuring cup I bought from the petstore to measure the amt of food I give.
raiyo

Postby jmann4 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:16 pm

What Kazuo meant was most pet foods say 1 cup = 8 ounces.

Where as Wellness 1 cup = 4 ounces.

Intead of a ONE CUP you should be feeding 4 ounces.

So, 4 ounces x's 3 1/2 cups = 12.5 ounces of food per day.

I'm pretty sure that's what they meant anyway
jmann4

Postby raiyo » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:35 pm

I'm still losted, heheh, So if Wellness recommends me to feed my dog 3.5 cups per day, then I should feed 1.75 cup per day according to the measuring cup?
raiyo

Postby jmann4 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:09 pm

Most cups are 8 ounces so if your measuring cup has only cups has the measurement, then cut the cup in half.

So it would be 1/2 cup = 1 cup on the feeding recommendation. See what I mean? It's still 3 1/2 cups of food.

I could be completely off here so until someone who feeds wellness comes on here take what I say with a grain of salt. But I'm pretty sure that's what was meant.

You know what, this is kind of confusing. I just confused myself. Of course that's not hard to do. :)
jmann4

Postby raiyo » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:23 pm

So with a normal measuring cup I feed my dog half of what Wellness recommends? They say 3.5 cups, so I should feed 1.75 cups, but it is still consider 3.5 cups right? I'm alittle confused guys, so bare with me.

Kozmo is 15 weeks old and is 30lbs, so he's kind of scarying me, heheh. Either he is over weight or he is just like that. I've been feeding him the wrong way when I started off. When I started feeding him dry food, it was 1 cup per, I thought it was per meal, so I ended up feeding her twice the amount recommended. Then I switch to Wellness and still did the same, doubled his diet without knowing. Now it is worse, I'm feeding him 4 times the amount recommended, heheh.
raiyo

Postby kazuo » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:47 pm

What you said in your last post raiyo is exactly correct.
kazuo
Site Admin

Postby jmann4 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:47 pm

Okay, let's break this down.

Feed 3 1/2 cups as wellness recommends.

The half cup = 1 cup. You would still feed 3 1/2 cups but your CUP would only be a half cup.

Make sense?

You just exchange what a full cup means and replace that with half cup.
jmann4

Postby raiyo » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:52 pm

okay, I got it now thx guys/girls. I love the help I get here. :inlove: Seeing Kozmo eat 1.75 cup per meal is so little. It's hard for me to feed him exactly 1.75 cups, so I just went with two cups daily. Just at first, dinner time for him, he went through 1 cup like it was nothing.

How come Wellness Dry Food cuts things in half? They are so good you only need to feed 1/2 as much?
raiyo

Postby jmann4 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:01 am

Raiyo,

I assume their food has more nutrition therefore dogs only need half has much to get what they need from the food.
jmann4

Postby Amy » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:30 am

I just looked at my Wellness scoops and they are 8oz scoops. Look at yours Raiyo, they will say it at the top.
Amy

Postby raiyo » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:40 am

When you guys are talking about Wellness scoup, are you talking about the scoup that was made by Wellness? Mine is just a normal scoup I bought from an online pet store. I checked my scoup and it didn't say any thing beside the measurements of the cup.
raiyo

Postby Amy » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:59 pm

My bags of Wellness have come with 1 cup scoops lately, they didn't used to. So the ones that come in the bag. Maybe yours didn't.
Amy

Return to Health Issues