question about giving your dog a bath?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

question about giving your dog a bath?

Postby reddog » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:07 pm

I was wondering how do you give your dog a bath in the winter?
I have a round tub I give dogs a bath with, but its winter so you shouldnt get them one outside right? cause of the cold air? ( I read that somewhere I pretty sure)

its in the 40s during day here, supposed to be in the 50s maybe 60s this week. guess if it gets to 60 it be okay? what is the lowest temp it should be to give her a bath outside? I will have warm water for her tub and to rinse her off with. just have heard its the air after she gets out the tub that can hurt them? is that true?

my dog really smells and needs a bath.

Thanks

sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, thought it fitted here, if not a mod can move it.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:09 pm

I use the same bathtub/shower that I use for myself.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:14 pm

I use my tub/shower in the house as well.

Ket

formaximus
Matured Bully

Postby formaximus » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:16 pm

I have given Max two baths and they have both been in the tub in the bathroom. That way I can slide the doors closed and he can't make a break for it. lol

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:27 pm

i bathe mine in the house as well

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:51 pm

oh, alright. Well that makes it easy . anyone give outside showers?

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:01 pm

nope mine get bathed in side i towel them dry then put them in their crates to drythe rest of the way , they dont go outside until they are dry all the way

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:08 pm

kristakmj wrote:nope mine get bathed in side i towel them dry then put them in their crates to drythe rest of the way , they dont go outside until they are dry all the way

don't know where you live, but not even in summer when its 90 degrees out?
just asking. Thanks everyone for the replys. I don't have a working bathtub, only a stand up shower.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:28 pm

You can give your dog a shower in a stand up. Maybe look into the type of showerhead that is handheld. That would make it much easier.
When Piper was a pup, he'd jump in the shower with my bf and get bathed that way.

:thumbsup:

But as for my own dogs, they get baths in the house and don't go out until they're dry either. Here in MI it gets cold and snowy, so that's one reason. In the summer, I don't let them out afterwards because I don't want them to roll around and get muddy. However, I do know plenty of people who bathe their dogs outdoors in warm weather.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:34 pm

I live in the south and bathe my dogs outside from spring through fall (on nice, dry days). But this time of year we stay indoors.

Like Allie said, if you can get a hand-held shower head, that would probably be a great investment for you. Or you might call around to local grooming places to see if you can rent a tub for a small fee. It would be much more comfortable for your dog if you can find a way to bathe her inside. :)

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:41 pm

reddog wrote:
kristakmj wrote:nope mine get bathed in side i towel them dry then put them in their crates to drythe rest of the way , they dont go outside until they are dry all the way

just asking. Thanks everyone for the replys. I don't have a working bathtub, only a stand up shower.

im in IN no i dont do it in the summer either , however mine like water so i wouldnt stop them from playing in the water either i just prefer to give them a bath in side . sierra climbs in the shower with people if we dont shut the door on her lol , if you cant get a handheld shower head get a very large non breakable pitcher or huge glass , get the dog wet soap it up and rinse with the cup/pitcher.

in fact i dont fill my tub up with water i simply have it running and get the dog wet and rinse them off with the pitcher

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:10 pm

kristakmj wrote:
reddog wrote:

im in IN no i dont do it in the summer either , however mine like water so i wouldnt stop them from playing in the water either i just prefer to give them a bath in side . sierra climbs in the shower with people if we dont shut the door on her lol , if you cant get a handheld shower head get a very large non breakable pitcher or huge glass , get the dog wet soap it up and rinse with the cup/pitcher.

in fact i dont fill my tub up with water i simply have it running and get the dog wet and rinse them off with the pitcher

thanks. I had a beagle for a few weeks that I found wondering the streets, and I had a big pitcher full of warm water to poor on her, and wash her with, filled up a big tub outside for her, this was in the summer time however.
she loved baths, she would lay down and let you do whatever do her, not sure how this pit is going to like it.

Starbux1
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Starbux1 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:55 pm

You can buy a shower adapter thingy from Care-A-Lot, Petsmart, or almost any animal supply place. I have one something like this in my bathroom

http://www.carealotpets.com/item-detail/?ItemID=1240B

It only diverts water to the handheld thingy when you clip it into the valve, the rest of the time, it's business as usual in the shower. I installed it using nothing more than a set of pliers to turn my stubborn shower head.

picara
Bully Ambassador

Postby picara » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:02 pm

I use the basement. There's a floor drain. I use a garden hose with a nozzle attachent hooked up to the basin faucet and I tether a leash to the leg of the washbasin and use the hose nozzle on 'shower'.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:09 pm

picara wrote:I use the basement. There's a floor drain. I use a garden hose with a nozzle attachent hooked up to the basin faucet and I tether a leash to the leg of the washbasin and use the hose nozzle on 'shower'.

thats a good idea, but in a mobile home no basement LOL
thanks for the ideas everyone.

Return to “Health Issues”