if a dog is scared could it smell bad?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

if a dog is scared could it smell bad?

Postby reddog » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:45 pm

i was trying to show my dog something and she keep trying to get away, i had a hold on her and but she was doing all she could to get away, then I smelled the worse smell ever. I jumped up and looked I thought she has #2 on my foot. but nothing. I looked on ground nothing.
it sure did smell like it, did she pass gas or something? never smelled that bad before...

Thanks
Sorry if this is another stupid question

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:05 pm

it may sound silly, but if you startle my cat he does the same thing!

AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AmberD » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:53 pm

He probably expressed his anal glands. As a groomer I experience that waaay too often!

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:54 pm

AmberD wrote:He probably expressed his anal glands. As a groomer I experience that waaay too often!

so dogs can express them thierselves? i thought that was something you had to do or get done? or are dogs supposed to and sometimes unable to?
it sure did stink, got about gag me, i can not handle that, thats one big reason I am not having kids

spammie

Postby spammie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:56 pm

reddog wrote:
AmberD wrote:He probably expressed his anal glands. As a groomer I experience that waaay too often!

so dogs can express them thierselves? i thought that was something you had to do or get done? or are dogs supposed to and sometimes unable to?
it sure did stink, got about gag me, i can not handle that, thats one big reason I am not having kids

:yucky:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:04 pm

She probably expressed her anal glands. Its common for them to do so when they are very scared.

I would suggest using more positive methods to get your dog used to new objects... you are probably only making her more fearful, and damaging your relationship with her in the process. My dogs only express their anal glands when they are absolutely terrified, such as when I'm staying at my parents for the holidays and they are startled in the middle of the night by a stranger entering the house.

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:51 pm

is there a way to tell the difference between them expressing the glands themselves and passing gas??? or is it like the same thing?

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:03 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:She probably expressed her anal glands. Its common for them to do so when they are very scared.

I would suggest using more positive methods to get your dog used to new objects... you are probably only making her more fearful, and damaging your relationship with her in the process. My dogs only express their anal glands when they are absolutely terrified, such as when I'm staying at my parents for the holidays and they are startled in the middle of the night by a stranger entering the house.

how do you get them used to something? I keep telling her its ok, its not going to hurt her, but she keep backing up. I got to get a new collor need one that wont choke her when she pulls.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:10 pm

kristakmj wrote:is there a way to tell the difference between them expressing the glands themselves and passing gas??? or is it like the same thing?

It is a very different smell, like a super metallic fishy odor, kind of. Most times (IME) there is actual leakage when the dog expresses anal glands on its own, not like passing gas. It is a brownish liquid. My dogs generally clean themselves very well if it happens.

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:09 pm

Allie wrote:
kristakmj wrote:is there a way to tell the difference between them expressing the glands themselves and passing gas??? or is it like the same thing?

It is a very different smell, like a super metallic fishy odor, kind of. Most times (IME) there is actual leakage when the dog expresses anal glands on its own, not like passing gas. It is a brownish liquid. My dogs generally clean themselves very well if it happens.

that i know of she didnt clean herself. it smelled like poo. but was worse smelling poo smeell i smelled. however about 30 mins before this she did poo and it really stunk bad too

Phoenix2007
Adolescent Bully

Postby Phoenix2007 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Phoenix actually farts lol when he is startled. The other day I walked into the room as he pulled a Reese wrapper from the garbage. I said, "No!" and grabbed it from him. I guess I scared him, because he jumped, and like 2 seconds later I smelled the worst dog fart ever! :yucky:

jestBC
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jestBC » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:37 pm

I was in a car accident with my last dog Benny, and he expressed his glands all over the front of my t-shirt.
The ambulance driver asked me, "what is that I smell?"
Me: "Oh, my dog expressed his glands on me, he was scared."
Ambulance driver: "I see. Mind if I wear a mask til we get you cleaned up?"
lol

reddog
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby reddog » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:59 pm

jestBC wrote:I was in a car accident with my last dog Benny, and he expressed his glands all over the front of my t-shirt.
The ambulance driver asked me, "what is that I smell?"
Me: "Oh, my dog expressed his glands on me, he was scared."
Ambulance driver: "I see. Mind if I wear a mask til we get you cleaned up?"
lol

ewww :yucky:

Return to “Health Issues”