RAW poll, all members please participate!!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

If you feed raw, what is the PRIMARY reason you do? If you do not feed raw, what is the PRIMARY reason you do not?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:45 pm

yes: control over ingredients
7%
yes: healthier diet
12%
yes: better digestion (enzymes etc.)
No votes
yes: believe raw is more natural for canines
13%
yes: to correct a medical condition
10%
no: worried about disease
4%
no: pet has regular contact with children or the elderly
1%
no: too much work
19%
no: pet did not do well on raw diet
1%
no: never considered changing to raw
6%
no: other
21%
yes: other
4%

Total votes: 68

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

RAW poll, all members please participate!!!

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:45 pm

Hey all,

As many of you know, I'm a 4th year veterinary student. As a project for one of my rotations, I have to give a 20 minute presentation to my classmates on a topic relevant to public health. I have chosen raw diets as my topic. I am hoping to not only state facts that vet students need to educate clients about, but to also communicate the reasoning behind this trend so that my classmates may better understand and communicate with future clients.

I am going to keep my presentation as unbiased as possible, so PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A DEBATE! I will gladly start another thread on my research findings, and if anyone has any research or articles they think would contribute to my presentation, please PM them to me.

If you select "other" as your reason, please post your reasons.

Thanks everyone!!

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:49 pm

The 'other' option didn't show up. I have a couple of reasons.
One, it's too hard to find cheap ingredients around here.
Two, my dogs need to eat a lot of raw to keep on weight. I have to add in grains, which leaves me cooking a lot, and it's kind of a hassle.
Three, I have a large breed puppy, and I don't want to gamble with his growth rate and nutrition.

So it's far easier for me to just grab cat food, puppy food, and adult dog food all in one trip.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:50 pm

i wanted to choose all these:

because i am doing raw for all those reasons, but it would only let me choose one..

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:54 pm

control over ingredients
healthier diet
believe raw is more natural for canines
to correct a medical condition

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:55 pm

The "other" option did not show up in either poll... sorry guys! I have no idea why...

And maryellen, I know the majority of people have multiple reasons for feeding what they feed, but sadly I couldn't think of a way to do a better job using a simple poll.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:01 pm

i want to click more than one lol

i feed raw because maggie has allergies. i tried a number of kibbles with her (each for at least 6 weeks), but she always had hives. not TERRIBLE hives like she gets with long grass or cats, but just spots. she'd always have a dozen or so, and was itchy. (i also changed a lot of my cleaning products, laundry detergent, etc).

i got tired of reading ingredient lists, so i switched over to raw. maggie's coat is now SUPER shiney, and the only time she gets bumps is when she picks up 'extras' at nonna's house. lol

so yes, i changed because it sorted out her allergies, but also because i think it's a more natural diet, her teeth are spotless (which is good for her overall health), and i just feel better knowing what's going into my dog.

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:02 pm

Misskiwi, I added an "other" option to the other poll, but do you want two on this one, since the question is a two-parter?

Example: "yes: other", "no: other"

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:15 pm

Yes!! please add the two part other to this poll. I tried to do that originally, but I had too many options...

And for everyone who wants to choose more than one answer, PLEASE humor me and pick the best answer. The more participation I get, the better!

Thanks everyone!

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:21 pm

Whoops, unfortunately, I don't think I can override the number of choices allowed, so I can't add the two "other" choices at the moment, because I am getting the same message as you.

The other poll has been updated, though.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:24 pm

Oh well, thanks for trying!

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Well, it looks like I was able to change a setting to allow more poll options, after doing a bit of looking around, so I added them. :)

bonezmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby bonezmama » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:51 pm

i'm extremely interested in starting raw but i don't feel that i have researched enough to do it yet- ie: i have no idea where to start.... i tried letting him eat a chicken leg which went pretty well, but that's as far as i got with it. I would need a personal session with an experienced feeder because i am not a literal learner. i learn from talking, and seeing it done.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:59 pm

Maryellen wrote:i wanted to choose all these:

because i am doing raw for all those reasons, but it would only let me choose one..

I picked "to correct health condition" because that's what led me to feeding raw, but like Maryellen, all of the above are equally true at this point.

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:37 pm

I choose no other. I am interested in it but it's to costly and time consuming.

Taffys_Angel
Bully Ambassador

Postby Taffys_Angel » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:53 pm

If I could afford it, I'd totally change Taffy to a raw or home-made diet. I want to know exactly what's going into my dog, and I think I could handle it as far as the 'workload' goes... I cook for myself, why not my dog?

The lack of regulation in the pet food industry scares the bajezzes out of me. You just don't know how much smoke they're blowing up your donkey when it comes to what's really IN processed pet food. Unless they change the laws to make them tougher, and start regulating it better (and enforcing the regulations), I'll never totally trust the pet food industry...

Return to “Health Issues”