RAW poll, all members please participate!!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

If you feed raw, what is the PRIMARY reason you do? If you do not feed raw, what is the PRIMARY reason you do not?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:45 pm

yes: control over ingredients
7%
yes: healthier diet
12%
yes: better digestion (enzymes etc.)
No votes
yes: believe raw is more natural for canines
13%
yes: to correct a medical condition
10%
no: worried about disease
4%
no: pet has regular contact with children or the elderly
1%
no: too much work
19%
no: pet did not do well on raw diet
1%
no: never considered changing to raw
6%
no: other
21%
yes: other
4%

Total votes: 68

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:12 pm

pitgrrl wrote:
Maryellen wrote:i wanted to choose all these:

yes: control over ingredients
yes: healthier diet
yes: better digestion (enzymes etc.)
yes: believe raw is more natural for canines
yes: to correct a medical condition

because i am doing raw for all those reasons, but it would only let me choose one..

I picked "to correct health condition" because that's what led me to feeding raw, but like Maryellen, all of the above are equally true at this point.

My thinking was along the lines for these fine ladies. We started b/c of Franny's constant yeast infections.

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:14 pm

No: Other. Too expensive. I know lots of people saw that a raw diet can be cheaper than high quality kibble- but around here, where there isn't a local butcher and I have almost no freezer space, It's just not affordable.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:09 pm

i fall somewhere in the middle. i feed mostly kibble but also feed some raw.

my yes reasons are that i believe it is a healthier, more natural diet, it keeps their teeth clean, and they enjoy it.

my no reasons are cost and aggravation.

Rinalia
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Rinalia » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:11 pm

Part of my reason is control over ingredients, as well as consideration for what I feel is healthiest and most appropriate for two toothy carnivores.

However, my biggest reason is this: Most kibble dog food utilizes the flesh of animals raised on factory farms. The two brands I've used that claim to use non-factory farmed meat did not sit well with my dog's stomach.

I'm vegan. I have an ethical dilemma feeding meat to my dogs. It's physically and emotionally tough to do so. The only compromise I can make is to know where the animals come from, see how they are treated, and know that - at the very least - they had a slightly better life than their factory farmed counterparts. That's what a raw diet provides me.

So that may be classified as "control over ingredients", though I selected "other".

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:20 pm

Rinalia wrote:
I'm vegan. I have an ethical dilemma feeding meat to my dogs. It's physically and emotionally tough to do so. The only compromise I can make is to know where the animals come from, see how they are treated, and know that - at the very least - they had a slightly better life than their factory farmed counterparts. That's what a raw diet provides me.

Thats definately an "other" answer, and an excellent example of an emotional/moral reason to feed raw. Your example will be a major point in my presentation. I want to spend several minutes focusing on the emotional effort that goes into making this decision, and how important it is to work WITH raw feeders instead of against them.

Keep it coming everyone!

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:26 pm

My answer is a No: Other. I don't feed raw because I don't have the room to store the ingredients with only one fridge and no deep freeze. I dump bags of kibble in a big tote and I'm done with it. LOL

Cheshirekatt
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Cheshirekatt » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:33 pm

I picked yes, to control a medical condition.

Patrick was on it because while he was growing it was the only way to keep any weight on him. Minnie is on it because of her Addison's Disease.

innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby innocence621 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:55 pm

control over ingredients
healthier diet
better digestion (enzymes etc.)
believe raw is more natural for canines
to correct a medical condition

I choose all, Chase is allergic to everything out there, and since she's on it I put Sadie on it. I also like knowing exactly what they are eating. The only part that sucks is there are no good deals around here that I know of...the dogs eat better than I do.

spammie

Postby spammie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:17 pm

No, due to no convenient source for all the different items needed.

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:23 pm

well yes to correct a medical condition,
Major food intolerance.
She CAN"T eat kibble, or at least the 21 different ones I tried!

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:26 pm

I put no other.
I would LOVE to feed raw, but money is to tight for us to get meat let alone the dog. lol. but once we move to Illinois, Im sure Emma will be n RAW once I do all my research on it.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:43 pm

I chose "yes: believe raw is more natural for canines" but I wanted to click more. lol

There are numerous reasons why I feed raw. I do believe raw is what dogs should be eating, naturally, and is thus healthier for dogs. I also want to know EXACTLY what my dog is eating. I don't want to have to guess. Rinalia also has an excellent point- when I buy raw materials, I know that the ingredients are coming from sources that I approve of. I don't hold with factory farms, I want to know my meats and the meats my dogs eat came from animals that were treated well.

I also feed raw because Riddle is very sensitive. She has liver and skin problems, and kibble diets (even the top quality ones) give her diarrhea and make her hair fall out. When I got her, she was a hairless, diarrhea shooting mess. That all cleared up within a few weeks of being on strictly raw. I truly believe this is due to the fact that kibble is too processed, and unnatural for dogs to be eating.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:45 am

I chose "no, other". I suppose I could have chosen "never considered feeding raw", but that's not entirely true. While I've never seriously considered it, I have at least given it thought, and I've been known to supplement the dogs' kibble with some raw stuff.

My reason for not feeding raw is that I don't see the need to do so. My dogs thrive on the quality kibble they eat. I would only seriously consider a major change like that if something were broken.

formaximus
Matured Bully

Postby formaximus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:49 am

I am at 50/50 with Maximus right now. I got some great information from a board member that pointed me in the right direction as far as kibble and supplements and he's been doing awesome with it.

He is loving his raw dinner and believe it or not in the short two weeks he's been on the split diet he has been growing beautifully and shines like no other! I do the Raw just based off of seeing some of the results that fellow board members have shown.

I've been happy with it so far and it looks like he has too. It's really not all that pricey, Ijust buy a little more when I'm grocery shopping. The Kibble (Canidae) costs more than the meat. lol :frown:

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:24 am

I selected "healthier" - but these apply:
control over ingredients
healthier diet
believe raw is more natural for canines

(but I only feed raw diners)

Return to “Health Issues”