My bully is sick...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
carlosg815
Newborn Bully

My bully is sick...

Postby carlosg815 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:02 pm

He just turned 5 months old.

Friday night he came in from outside, and was fine. He laid in his cage and went to sleep.

He woke up the next day, limping. He wouldn't put any pressure on his left hind leg. That Saturday morning we went to the vet and he said he may have tore or stretched his acl. He recommended that he take it easy and gave a prescription for pain. We gave him a pain pill and kept him confined so he couldn't injure it further.

Well, he didn't get better. Yesterday he wasn't moving at all. He just laid there with his ears back looking sad.

Today he was worse, so we took him back to the vet. We were there for about 5 hours. The doctor said it looked like a case of HOD.

He is 5 months and weighs 56 pounds.

The doctor said it usually occurs with bigger dogs and at a young age. The doctor gave him some antibiotics, and if he doesn't improve, he's going to get some blood work done.

I hate seeing him like this, it's breaking everybody's heart in the household.

He won't eat, so we cooked him some chicken breast to try to get him to eat something. Fortunately my dad is home from surgery and they can sit around laid up together.

He's getting a lot of attention, and I hope things turn OK for him.

Anybody else have this problem with their bully? What else did you do to cater to him/her?

carlosg815
Newborn Bully

Postby carlosg815 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:05 pm

Here is the pic of the swelling, since I can't figure out how to edit the screwup in my first post.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:10 pm

Poor baby!

You won't be able to edit your post - it's not you, just the rules.

But his poor leg, and poor sad little face!

No need to cook the chicken breast - in fact, don't EVER cook bones and feed them. But just raw is fine for him and will probably tickle him pink.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

cecollins
Forum Junky

Postby cecollins » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:04 am

:sad: High hopes for a speedy recovery.
But one question.. What is HOD?

sunshine765
Matured Bully

Postby sunshine765 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:44 am

cecollins
Forum Junky

Postby cecollins » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:52 am

Thanks for the link.
I had never heard of this and the article was very imformative!

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:03 am

WOW...
Paws crossed he gets well soon!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:06 am

I'm sorry he's ill. He's sure a cutie. Hope he gets better soon!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:40 am

for my own curiosity, what has he been fed since he came to live with you?
Hope he is soon well. :sad:

ssontag
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby ssontag » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:43 pm

He looks so sad...poor baby. Hope he is up and feeling better soon. Please keep us updated.

carlosg815
Newborn Bully

Postby carlosg815 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:02 pm

He's even worse today. The swelling is so bad that his vessels are bursting in his legs. The pictures don't really show how swollen he really is.

We have to push on his bladder to get him to pee. He hasn't pooped, which is concerning me. The vet says when he has to go, he'll go.

We've been putting him in the tub periodically for a quick spray down with lukewarm water. Switch it over to massage and get his legs.

We're trying to make him as comfortable as possible but he just seems so miserable.

For those who asked about his diet, it DID consist of dog chow for the past few months. We have an adult shepherd/chow, and we leave his food out at all times (Hes 10 years old). The bully would get fed puppy chow a few times a day. The older he got, he started getting into the dog chow, and it's all he could eat. The shep/chow kinda eats whenever he wants, we stopped regulating his food, we just keep his bowl full.

Well, bully took a liking to his food and would get at it any chance he got. For a while we would put shemp's (the chow) food up, but it became a big chore. I didn't think it would pose a problem, but I'm thinking I was hugely mistaken. Or maybe it's just something that happens.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:07 pm

Oh that poor baby! I'm keeping him in my thoughts.

Ket

Dizzy
Adolescent Bully

Postby Dizzy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:57 am

My Riley had HOD as a puppy, and it's a big resposibilty. The initial illness is really painful and difficult to go through, and after it's dormant, the dog is left with permanently disfigured joints. A lot of owners/breeders recommend putting the puppy to sleep once HOD has been diagnosed just because it's so painful and has such a huge impact on the dog's present and future quality of life-I'm NOT saying you should put your puppy to sleep (obviously I didn't do that)-I just want to mention that it's an option to be considered.

When Riley got sick, we put him on a low protien/low calcium diet to help manage the excess growth. We also tried to keep him as calm and quiet as possible to prevent further stress on his joints. One of the things he loved (and still does) was swimming. It's great excerise and keeps the muscles toned while being very low impact on the joints. Now (3 and a half years later) Riley's also on some joint supplments I wish I'd know about when I was going through what you are-glucosamine's been the biggest help, but he's also on botswalia and a source of high quality fatty acids (fatty acids are naturally anti-inflammatory). To manage pain, we use a combitnation of aspirin and tramadol depending on what we're doing and how bad his joints are on that particular day.

As upsetting and difficult as it was and is to live with this disease, I'm really glad we made the choice not to put Riley to sleep. He's the happiest dog ever, and has really taught me the meaning of living each day at a time and how to live in the moments. I love him dearly and can't imagine how my life would be without him.

If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to help in any way I can, carlosg815.
:hug:

carlosg815
Newborn Bully

Postby carlosg815 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:04 pm

Dizzy wrote:My Riley had HOD as a puppy, and it's a big resposibilty. The initial illness is really painful and difficult to go through, and after it's dormant, the dog is left with permanently disfigured joints. A lot of owners/breeders recommend putting the puppy to sleep once HOD has been diagnosed just because it's so painful and has such a huge impact on the dog's present and future quality of life-I'm NOT saying you should put your puppy to sleep (obviously I didn't do that)-I just want to mention that it's an option to be considered.

When Riley got sick, we put him on a low protien/low calcium diet to help manage the excess growth. We also tried to keep him as calm and quiet as possible to prevent further stress on his joints. One of the things he loved (and still does) was swimming. It's great excerise and keeps the muscles toned while being very low impact on the joints. Now (3 and a half years later) Riley's also on some joint supplments I wish I'd know about when I was going through what you are-glucosamine's been the biggest help, but he's also on botswalia and a source of high quality fatty acids (fatty acids are naturally anti-inflammatory). To manage pain, we use a combitnation of aspirin and tramadol depending on what we're doing and how bad his joints are on that particular day.

As upsetting and difficult as it was and is to live with this disease, I'm really glad we made the choice not to put Riley to sleep. He's the happiest dog ever, and has really taught me the meaning of living each day at a time and how to live in the moments. I love him dearly and can't imagine how my life would be without him.

If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to help in any way I can, carlosg815.
:hug:

I'm very sorry to hear about your puppy. I'm PRAYING that he doesn't suffer long term damage of any kind. This seriously is one of the most difficult things I've witnessed. This disease took all the life out of him overnight.

Good news, he was moving around today. Not walking, but he did lift up the front half of his body, and he's moving his head around. We also got him a pigs ear to chew on, and he's chewing it good, and using his paws to control it, which is a lot more than he's done in days.

We're hoping for better news this weekend!! :thumbsup:

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:16 am

Oh I am so sorry your pup is going through this. I'll be keeping him in my thoughts.

Return to “Health Issues”