Panting after vet takes dog

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Tigerbeck
Adolescent Bully

Panting after vet takes dog

Postby Tigerbeck » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:34 pm

Hello-

My dog is generally pretty mellow and 4 yrs old and good shape. But at the vet when they take her away where I cant see for a blood test for example and a short period of time I get her back and she is panting like mad. They aren't playing fetch in there with her so what are they doing? Some of the staff seems afraid of her (though she is super friendly) and I thought maybe they were roughing her up or restraining her a lot. When I have seen her with the vet she doesn't struggle. She just lays there or goes limp if they want to move her. Any idea what it could be?

I would go back with her next time and see what happens but the days of quick blood tests and weighings are over.

Becky

Tigerbeck
Adolescent Bully

Postby Tigerbeck » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:34 pm

oh yea, she doesnt pant that much when she is stressed and doesnt seem to get stressed out easily.

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:45 pm

panting can be a sign of being very uncomfortable. It is likley that your dog was just scared. You could express this concern to your vet, ask if minor procedures could be done in front of you, just to help keep her calm.

Rinalia
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Rinalia » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:49 pm

I second asking the vet and vet techs to do minor things, like drawing blood in front of you. There is no law that states you cannot be present for minor procedures.

Panting can be a sign of stress and discomfort. That makes sense - the vet is a scary, smelly place with different people and animals.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:12 pm

Tigerbeck wrote:oh yea, she doesnt pant that much when she is stressed and doesnt seem to get stressed out easily.

Sounds like stress to me, so I am wondering what you base this observation on? Vets can be very stressful even to dogs that handle other situations well.

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:16 pm

Kingsgurl wrote:
Tigerbeck wrote:oh yea, she doesnt pant that much when she is stressed and doesnt seem to get stressed out easily.

Sounds like stress to me, so I am wondering what you base this observation on? Vets can be very stressful even to dogs that handle other situations well.

Yeah, my Ollie is very well behaved, but the moment we get into the vets office he starts jumping at me to try to get me to carry him :( Thats because every time he goes there they poke him with a needle or he looses his balls! lol It's just a scary place.

Cheshirekatt
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Cheshirekatt » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22 pm

My dogs are freaks.....they LOVE the vet! LOVE 'em! As soon as we get off the exit from the freeway they start getting all excited. Goons.

skada21
Adolescent Bully

Postby skada21 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:14 am

Conan also loves the vet. He gets really excited when we go there.

rubysmom
Adolescent Bully

Postby rubysmom » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:05 pm

ruby is excited to go into the vet's waiting room. when they open the exam room door, she tries to run for the exit. lol

Return to “Health Issues”