Beau's torn CCL

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
blackbear219
Newborn Bully

Beau's torn CCL

Postby blackbear219 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:13 am

Hello all,

For my original post with more back story, check out this link:
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=85799

So Beau spent the day at the vets yesterday for a bunch of stuff. Regular yearly checkup, distemper, rabies, heartworm tests, etc...all the stuff he was due for anyways. And then also some bloodwork to make sure that his Addison's disease isn't going to be a complication with the surgery, etc.

Everything went awesome. His charts were all smack dab right down the middle. So, aside from a torn up knee, he is healthy as an ox :headbang:

Everyone there loved him too. I had several employees come up to me while I was in the lobby with him and tell me how sweet he was and how good he did. I was a little worried that strange people holding him down and poking him with needles would make him a little defensive but apparently he was a perfect angel, that's my boy.

I'm going to give him a nice, relaxing weekend...we'll enjoy our Superbowl (Go Pats!) and then it's back to business on Monday. I'll drop him off there on my way to work Monday morning, surgery will take place and then I will get him back sometime on Tuesday. Rehab will be a lot of range of motion exercises, ice packing, massaging around the incision, etc. I've personally had plenty of problems with my legs/knees and broken bones in my life to know the importance of rehab so I am going to do everything in my power to get him back to as close to 100% as possible.

As of yesterday (about 4 days since the final complete tear of the ligament) he's started putting the leg down on the ground a bit again. I am being optimistic and taking this as a sign that his joint is going to have the tendency to regenerate at a pretty good clip so I'm hoping for a average speed recovery at the worst. I'm also glad he is using it a bit because I don't want him to completely avoid the leg until it is absolutely necessary. The more atrophy we can avoid the better.

Like I told a friend (who told me I was crazy to spend the money)...I want a dog that can go fishing/camping/hiking with me. I don't want a dog that can barely get up on the couch by itself at 4 years old. He's healthy as can be otherwise and although we've been together for 4 years already, him and I are just getting started and have a lot of fun ahead of us. In a sense, it's for me just as much as it is for him but I'm happy that I can do it for him and I'm ready to rock and roll.

I know I've heard of people spending thousands and thousands of dollars on their pets before and I have to admit that I also thought they were crazy at the time. But, it's something that you just can't understand unless you're actually in the situation. He's my buddy and it's just pieces of green paper, he's more important.

Overall, if I had to sum myself as the owner up in three words right now, they would be: Excited, optimistic and broke. lol

Wish us luck!

PS: He's having ECR done, btw...not TTA or TPLO.

cecollins
Forum Junky

Postby cecollins » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:24 am

Sully and I wish Beau and you the best of luck!!! I know he will be just fine and you will have a very happy and long life together!!!

ssontag
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby ssontag » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:41 am

Hope surgery goes well. Me and the pack sending healing thoughts for a speedy recovery.

blackbear219
Newborn Bully

Postby blackbear219 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:32 am

Dropped Beau off for the surgery on my way to work this morning. He has to stay the night there and I am scheduled to pick him up at 4pm tomorrow afternoon when they will show me how to do the rehab exercises, etc. They're obviously going to call me later this afternoon once he is out of surgery to let me know how he is doing.

Luckily, I can do my job from home and have a dog-loving boss so I'm going to work from home on Wednesday to spend the day with him.

Between the Pats losing, worrying about my dog and it being Monday...this is basically the worst day ever, lol.

I'll be sure to come back and let you guys know how it went once I know more.

cecollins
Forum Junky

Postby cecollins » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:53 am

Sully and I are anxiously waiting to hear about Beau and is surgery!!

Courtholl
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtholl » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:57 am

I know what you are going through. We just dropped Nala of for her second CCL Sx.

blackbear219
Newborn Bully

Postby blackbear219 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:53 am

Busy, busy morning at work and before I knew it my phone was ringing.

Surgery is done and Beau is "slowly waking up" as they put it from the anesthesia right now. They said I could come in whenever today to visit him if I want to, but I am just going to wait until I go to pick him up tomorrow.

If he sees me now, he will think I am there to take him home. That's what he always thinks when I leave him somewhere...as soon as I get back, he's rip-roaring and ready to hop in the truck...so I don't want to get him worked up or anything today, I'll just let him rest.

I'm glad work kept me so busy this morning. I was worried that god forbid he would go into one of his seizures while under the anesthesia, but staying busy kept me from worrying too much.

The whole procedure took about 75 minutes. The CCL/ACL was completely torn as we suspected. Apparently everything went great so I am really looking forward to picking him up tomorrow and starting the road to recovery. Even as I type this I am tempted to go visit him today, but I will hold off...I'll miss him tonight though :frown:

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:24 pm

i'm glad everything went well! i wish him (and you) an uneventful recovery.

cecollins
Forum Junky

Postby cecollins » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:08 pm

Glad to hear everything went well. :thumbsup: to a speedy recovery!

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:19 am

Martin and I send our warmest wishes for a speedy recovery (as one surgery dog to another)

blackbear219
Newborn Bully

Postby blackbear219 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:21 am

Beau is home and doing well! I picked him up after work on Tuesday and then worked from home yesterday so that I could stay with him for the day. I'm back to work today so he is home alone in his crate at the moment but everything is going well. He's sleeping a lot and is coping very well.

While he was under the anesthesia, the doctor checked out his hips and did find some looseness in them. However, it is very minor and there is absolutely no damage to the hip joints at this point. The doctor wants him to lose 10 pounds or so to take some weight off the hips. He told me that where Beau is 4 now and everything looks good, if he loses some weight then the hips should not be a concern within his lifespan, so that is good.

He's on 3 meds...2 pills, a pain killer and anti-inflamatory...and 1 liquid antibiotic.

The incision looks really, really good. Not really red or puffy at all. The doctor used a laser to make the incision and that definitely seemed to be a much more gentle process than a scalpel is.

So we've been doing our rehab exercises and everything. "Stage 1" right now is just range of motion exercises followed by 10 minutes of icepack. In 3-4 more days he should start doing some toe touching with the leg and then we will move on to "Stage 2".

Here are some pics. Once again, sorry they are small but I had to take them with my camera phone:

I'm finally home!

This is MY bed! (As you can see, he is laying on the side with the incision in this pic so he is pretty comfortable with it)

The leg

Close-up of incision

cecollins
Forum Junky

Postby cecollins » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:28 am

I am so glad to hear that he is doing well!!! Please keep us updated on his recovery!! He is so very handsome!

blackbear219
Newborn Bully

Postby blackbear219 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:49 pm

cecollins wrote:I am so glad to hear that he is doing well!!! Please keep us updated on his recovery!! He is so very handsome!

Thanks Collins, appreciate it. I certainly will keep you guys updated and thanks for giving me a place to journal our adventures.

Looking forward to heading home from work in a couple hours to see how he made out on his first full day back home alone!

blackbear219
Newborn Bully

Postby blackbear219 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:11 am

Well, Beau's doing pretty well so far.

My biggest concern is his lack of appetite. He hasn't touched regular kibble since he returned home. After 24 hours or so of not eating anything (other than the cheese I hide his pills in) I cooked up some meat I had in the freezer and he scarfed that down like a champ. I also put some peanut butter in his kong last night and, as per usual, he went nuts for it.

So he doesn't want his regular food right now, but still shows interest in food if it's something a little more tasty. I'm reluctant to give him any "people food", I've always been a hard-ass on that, but I don't want him to have an empty belly for days on end either.

Put a call into the vet and the doc said that sometimes it just takes some dogs a little longer to get their full appetite back so we're basically just going to keep an eye on it for now. I don't have much planned for the weekend so I will keep an eye on him over these couple days and then we're going in for a rehab visit sometime next week so they can check him out more then either way.

blackbear219
Newborn Bully

Postby blackbear219 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:33 pm

I did some research and found a few "Dog Surgery FAQs" online and they say that it is not uncommon for a dog to not eat normally for a few days after surgery, especially if it is just kibble (which in my case, it is) so I'm not as worried now.

It would be a different story if I dangled a nice, juicy piece of steak under his nose and he wouldn't eat it, but that is not the case. I'm going to pick up some chicken on my way home tonight for some protein and mix it with some pasta for some carbs and let him chow down on that tonight to get some nutritious stuff in his belly and we'll go from there.

Return to “Health Issues”