Luce blew her other knee

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Luce blew her other knee

Postby elegy » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:31 pm

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

She had her right cruciate ligament repair (suture-style repair) six months ago yesterday. She came up three-legged lame yesterday afternoon. At least she waited until the right one was pretty well healed. But Argh! My poor puppy. She was so ouchie and woeful last night.

Please send sympathy :crybaby:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:56 pm

awww man, that is terrible news! :crybaby:
get well soon poor baby girl!

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:16 am

Poor baby!

Courtholl
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtholl » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:25 am

Poor Girl. Nala is in right now for her second leg being repaired. We went with the suture way again. Not looking forward to the long road back to health. She was just starting to look good too. Just got over the hump. I think her second one was bothering her, as she limped on and off for a couple months, then was good for a couple months, then bam, full on limp and holding leg up.

Good luck with her.

cecollins
Forum Junky

Postby cecollins » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:31 am

Sending warm and fuzzy thoughs your way!!! :hug:

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:19 am

awww, poor luce :sad:

blackbear219
Newborn Bully

Re: Luce blew her other knee

Postby blackbear219 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:36 am

elegy wrote:WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

She had her right cruciate ligament repair (suture-style repair) six months ago yesterday. She came up three-legged lame yesterday afternoon. At least she waited until the right one was pretty well healed. But Argh! My poor puppy. She was so ouchie and woeful last night.

Please send sympathy :crybaby:

Poor girl :( Sorry to hear it.

This is my concern with Beau. He is open on the operating table having extra-capsular done on his left knee as we speak.

In the days between the injury and today's surgery, I have kept him from using the good leg as much as possible. Obviously, now that the left isn't doing much for him, the right is getting worked a lot harder. I want to keep the strain off that leg so he doesn't pop that one too.

One knee is bad enough on my wallet. If the other one goes too, I'm going to have to rob a bank or something roflmao

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:22 pm

and sadly, the majority of dogs who blow one blow the other.

she's doing much better today, so i suspect it's just a partial tear (the first one was 75% torn when she finally went to surgery). i'll get her in to see her regular vet tomorrow to confirm, and then call her surgeon, i guess, and ask him whether i should just go ahead and fix it now, or wait until it gets worse. i feel like i should do it now so as to avoid any extra strain on the already repaired knee, but my bank account cries at the thought.

ah well. that's how it goes.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:23 pm

How old is Luce?

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:59 am

she turned 5 in december (well, that's her made-up birthday, but she's around 5).

i took her to the vet today and she doesn't have any drawer in the knee and wasn't lame in the vet's office (of course not! even for her pre-surg exam with the surgeon she wasn't lame!), so he thinks i should crate rest her for 10-12 weeks and that the idea of surgery at this point is overboard. i don't know what to do. i'm not comfortable with the idea of crate resting her for that long just to have to do it all over again when she needs surgery. i feel like a jerk if i call the surgeon "behind his back" because he's not just my vet but my boss, also.

she's significantly better today, but there's something wrong, and i waited too long the last time. maybe surgery at this point is too much too soon, but this is exactly what i went through with her the last time. all this frustration, and all this feeling like i'm overreacting.

i don't know what to do.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:05 pm

Poor pup...

Can i share my experience with you...Zoe has had both legs done - traditional repair

Please don't wait too long...That is why Zoe now has HD and arthritis and she is only 4. I waited, did not do the crate rest because she it too spazzy and I caused my baby more pain...I had no idea this could happen, no one told me.

BTW, one surgery was done Dec of 06 and the next was done April of 07

Courtholl
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtholl » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:08 pm

Elegy, we have had the same problems with Nala. The first time around they could not tell at all. We tried resting her, etc. No pit bull owners just do not understand that this concept does not work. We did our best, but just could not crate her and listen to her whine to be around us, etc. So we just tried to keep her calm.

It went on for about two months. Up and down. Finally, they said they would just have to sedate her and then x-ray her and manipulate her leg while she is sedated. The one thing they said, is they could not tell if she had any probs, b/c they are so much stronger than normal dogs. So they are trying to find movement, etc., but she is just keeping them from finding it. Have they sedated her to look for this. the first time it was completely blown out and meniscus torn, but they were not sure until sedated and went in.

This time, same thing. We went forward much quicker this time. She was looking like she was ding better, but it was torn. We pick her up today, so will find out how badely, but she did need repair. I would just look at the strength issue - makes it harder to tell.

Heck, the night before Sx she went nutz doing zoomies. We are Steeler fans, so when the Patriots were getting beat, we started going nutz. next thing we know Nala is running around in circles, back and forth in classic all out zoomie style. When I got in her way and tried tackling her, she just started doing circles. I am not sure she even limped after that, but it still was torn. I hope you do not have to have the procedure, but know we had the same concerns as you, I would see if they think it would be worthwhile to sedate her and manipulate the knee.

Best of luck.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:18 pm

i don't think it's completely torn, so in theory, it's stable enough that she should not get arthritis very quickly. when she went in for her surgical consult on the first one, she was not lame at all and i felt stupid there with my not lame dog for major orthopedic surgery, but i don't regret doing it one bit.

when i had her in today he felt that she seemed more tender on the repaired leg than the new leg, and i wonder if that's because of how she's favoring the left one and putting extra stress on the repaired one. he said i need to have faith that the repair is solid. ok.

i don't know what to do. even when she had her surgery, she only had two weeks of strict crate rest. after that, she was allowed to go out walking. yes, it was only five minutes at first, but it was something.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Zoe's 1st was a partial tear. Then 10 days before her first surgery she tore it all the way....

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:27 pm

Poor thing!
That sounds sooo painful.
Give her a cookie for me

Return to “Health Issues”