Tucker again, pacing, circling, miserable

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BabyReba

Tucker again, pacing, circling, miserable

Postby BabyReba » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:57 am

So last night we made a visit to the e-vet with Tucker. He came and woke us up at 2 AM--something in the 2 years we've had him he has never done--and seemed like he maybe wanted to go out. Rob let him out in the yard, and he ran around in circles back there and didn't want to come inside. I finally got up and went out, and he pooped a small amount, then came in and went back to bed.

4 AM I woke to the suonds of his tags jingling. I listened to it for a while, then realized it seemed weird, so I came downstairs to find him repetitively circling around the coffee table, and he didn't stop even when I came into the room. Just circling, circling, circling. Really weird. I called him and let him out again, and he went into the yard and ran around a bit, didn't poop or anything, but refused to come inside. I went out with him and he acted like he wanted to play, but there was just something "not right" in how he was acting.

Brought him inside, and he started pacing and circling again. He seemed extremely anxious and uncomfortable. I immediately thought that me might have bloat. We went to the emergency vet.

They looked him over and all his vitals were normal and they palpated and didn't feel anything weird. The doc agreed that his symptoms were strange, so he did run xrays at my request to look for internal injuries, bloat, blockages. All the xrays came back within normal range, no sign of inflammation or blockage and definitely no bloat. No signs of anything at all, really.

He sent us home and told us to watch him for the next 12 to 24 hours, make sure he eats and drinks and doesn't have any problems. He's eaten breakfast. He's really anxious still. He paced between his food dish and the couch for about 5 minutes after he ate. Now he's lying on the couch next to me looking miserable but otherwise calm.

WTF? I'm so baffled. I guess he's going to a regular vet later today, just because is just not normal behavior. :frown:

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:04 am

Erin, I am so sorry Tucker is uncomfortable. Poor guy! It's bad enough when you know your dog is not well but when have tests done and everything comes back normal, it is even worse.

Thinking of you and Tucker. :hug:

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:05 am

thanks, denise. i'm just sort of at a loss. when it rains, it pours.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:07 am

Poor guy! Maybe he just didn't know what to get you for your birthday? (Happy birthday to you, huh?)

Hang in there - we're all thinking of you - have a better day!

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:10 am

haha, all i need from him is his cute underbite smile.

thanks, amie. i'm so baffled. i took the day off from work so i can watch him. he is acting like he's seen a ghost or something. so damn strange.

jazminesgranny
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jazminesgranny » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:22 am

I know dogs act "strange" when they sense something bad is about to happen.. like hurricanes, earthquakes tornado's etc. Jasmine is acting weird but its because my son left for boot camp and she's missing him.. so we have been letting her sleep with us so she doesnt feel lonely.

Hope things get better.

Debby

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:30 am

Do you think it could be a seizure?
Dogs with seizures will pace and circle. Sometimes it's prodromal for a grand mal type seizure. Other times, I think it's the seizure itself.

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/epilepsy.htm

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:42 am

Man, I feel bad for you and Tucker, you both need a break.

I don't know if this is at all similar, but there was a period last fall when Streets was getting really anxious for no reason that I ever discovered. For about 3 or 4 days in a row he'd get up in the middle of the night, pace, sit there staring at me, drooling, refusing to come back to bed, pretty much everything he does during a thunder storm, only the weather was fine. We took him to the vet, tried everything we could think of to figure out the issue, but never came up with anything. He went back to normal after a few days :dunno:

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:03 am

he seems to be normalizing to some degree now . . . he's much more relaxed, though still a bit weird.

i have a call into our regular vet, waiting to hear what he has to say.

poor tucker, he's having a really hard week.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:10 am

Oh, Erin. That's so odd! I hope he goes back to normal. I can't imagine what you're going through, worrying and not knowing what's wrong.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:29 am

maybe like msvette said he had some sort of a seizure?

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:32 am

it's definitely possible, now that i think about it.

he's acting pretty much normal again, finally. he's begging for chicken scraps from rob--i'm actually happy to see him begging for something instead of looking wide-eyed and uncomfortable.

waiting for a callback from the vet, just to go over this with him.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:38 am

:hug:

Paws crossed for Tucker

CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby CinderDee » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:39 am

That's odd, BR. I went through something similar with Kato last May and never did figure out what the problem was. I thought bloat too, but a trip to the ER vet yielded no answers. He was fine in a day or so.

I hope he's ok!

blackbear219
Newborn Bully

Postby blackbear219 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:48 am

My experience with seizures is that they basically go right back to normal once the seizure is over. They don't even really know they are having the seizure for the most part so I personally would not point towards a seizure as the cause of extended periods of odd behavior. That's just me though, doesn't mean I'm right :P

Maybe he just had an upset belly and felt like he had to go #2 but when it came down it to, he couldn't actually go?

Hope everything works out for ya.

Return to “Health Issues”