Why are ears so prone to infection?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Deniselynn
BANNED

Why are ears so prone to infection?

Postby Deniselynn » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:17 pm

After being on here for so long, so many of us have had dogs with infections? Why is the ear so prone to infection? Is it because of the ear canal being so long? I suppose yeast has the opportunity to grow because the ear is moist?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:58 pm

yes, ears are dark, warm and moist, perfect conditions for bacteria to grow out of control.
Also, dogs with ears that flap over are more prone to infections because of less air circulation.
I think a LOT of the cases, it is allergy induced problems .

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:05 pm

I know labs are quite prone to ear infections. but their ears flap over. My Emma LOVES having her ears cleaned..freak.. Most dogs hate it. I wonder if cropped ears don't get infected as much

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:59 pm

Good question Colleen. Molly is prone to them but that is because she is a walking loaf of bread. lol

Samantha
Matured Bully

Postby Samantha » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:25 pm

In alot of cases, dogs that have chronic ear infections are often dealing with a food allergy realted problem. I had labs growing up that had chronic issues for years. When I found out about the allergies and put her on hypo food, she never had another issue. I think 70-80% of ear infections are food allergy symptoms.

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:47 pm

Samantha wrote:In alot of cases, dogs that have chronic ear infections are often dealing with a food allergy realted problem. I had labs growing up that had chronic issues for years. When I found out about the allergies and put her on hypo food, she never had another issue. I think 70-80% of ear infections are food allergy symptoms.

Hmmm thats really interesting.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:51 am

Tess had an infection in one ear a couple months ago, and the vet mentioned that ear infections are often a sign of food allergies. I'm not convinced that Tess' infection was, though, I think I got water in the ear when bathing her a week or 2 before I noticed the infection. (I bathed her for a show, and the next day at the show, she was scratching at her ear almost constantly. About a week later, an infection became obvious. Hmm.) Tess had had an ear infection not too long previous to that; 6-12 months. I think it was just a fluke, though.

Tully has had one ear infection, in one ear, in the 6+ years I've owned her. Elmo has never had an ear infection.

Long, heavy ears, or ears with a lot of hair in them are more prone to infection than smaller ears. It is a warm, moist environment. Food allergies are definitely a contributing factor, though.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:54 am

Sidda had chronic ear infections due to environmental allergies, not food allergies.
Once we started to get the allergies under control (AND found Zymox!), she hasn't had many problems since.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:38 pm

reba is the only one of my dogs that's ever had an ear infection, and i know she got it from swimming and getting water in her ears. because it happened after swimming each time . . . usually within a couple of days of having been in the water.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:53 pm

Sheba had a chronic ear infection when I got her. Took me almost a year to get rid of it. I had to use antibiotics, because she also had a punctured ear drum, and I couldn't use ointments because of that.

She was infection free for almost two years, and just got one now again :(
Not sure where from, since she hasn't been in the water for a while, and her food didn't change in the past several months.

MyBluePit
Newborn Bully

Postby MyBluePit » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Shelby (Bully) is always getting an ear infection in her left ear. I treat her for about a week then gone, and then a couple months (maybe more) and it's back. I feed her Natures Variety maybe I should look more into this possible food allergy (along with her major skin allergy's :po: ).

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:15 am

If she's got regular ear problems and skin problems, it is definitely allergy related. Could be environmental, could be food, but I'd sure consider it worth changing the food. I'd probably have allergy testing done, though it's not cheap.

dragonmark

Postby dragonmark » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:42 am

Do a google search for food trails.
That is the easy way to find the food that causes problems.
Most ear infections are due to food allergies but can also be
environmental. I have dogs with cropped and natural ears.
Both dogs with crops have had ear infections 1st one is a sensitivity to corn or wheat...the other was a weak immune after whelping pups.
The dogs with natural ears have not had any ear infections...go figure!

aa

Return to “Health Issues”